Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Complete cleaning of cameras

  1. #1

    Default Complete cleaning of cameras

    Ok guys, i know this might sounds stupid but i need some advice on like the complete cleaning instructions of DSLR cameras. I got one of those cleaning kit from Alan Photo and like there are some many tools which i only use the blower and the cloth. How about the rest? Like the brush? Solutions? Cotton Bud? What are they for and how should i use them? Can i detach the lens and blow the censor inside if i find dust? Will destroy the censor? It will be really good if theres like pictorial instructions on how to clean

    Thanks in advance for any replies.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    er.. there are quite a few threads previously, discussing about sensor cleaning.

    Use the search function of the forum and search for "Sensor Cleaning" or "Sensor Cleaning Tools".

    Well discussed and elaborated replies from contributors.
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    There should be a help thread on how to clean the sensor yourself somewhere in the forum.

    Pls d a search for it. Each of the tools have their specific purposes and I would suggest that you dun fiddle too much if you are not that sure. Get someone to show you first.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Sensor clesning is like riding a bike: once you get the hange of it, you can do is very easily ... almost with your eyes closed, but if you're not sure how or are not really comfortable, you might crash - BADLY.

    Zac has some really good advise: get someone to show you first...

    but make sure that someone knows what he or she is doing.

  5. #5
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Sorry to hijack the thread......

    How offend should we send our DSLR to the servicing centre for general maintance ??

    And if there are dust, dirt, etc on the CCD or CMOS senser that wouldn't be clean..... could we send our camera to have it clean ??

    Thxs for any info

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  6. #6

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread......

    How offend should we send our DSLR to the servicing centre for general maintance ??

    And if there are dust, dirt, etc on the CCD or CMOS senser that wouldn't be clean..... could we send our camera to have it clean ??

    Thxs for any info
    bro, i think sending ur cam in once a yr or 18 mths shud be enough since u n i are only "weekend shooters" most of the time right? we dont shoot on a daily or near-daily basis like the pros so i think once every 12 - 18 mths shud be enough alr.
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

  7. #7
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by SolBadGuy View Post
    bro, i think sending ur cam in once a yr or 18 mths shud be enough since u n i are only "weekend shooters" most of the time right? we dont shoot on a daily or near-daily basis like the pros so i think once every 12 - 18 mths shud be enough alr.
    Agree....

    Think I will send mine in for servicing next apr.

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    About once a year is ok... but if you change your lens very often outside, then you may need to clean the sensor more often.

    I guage by the picture quality, once I see dust bunnies on my f8 to f11 shots, then it's time to clean up.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Frequency depends. I clean mine DIY every 4-5 weeks. But I'm an almost-daily user.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    sorry to ask but if you guys could let me in on some info as to where in singapore there are cleaning services that are affordable.
    thanks for replying.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Ok....... i expected some really nasty replies but suprisingly you guys are great. Thanks for the reply. But can i know wat are each item in the cleaning kit are use for? Especially the solution and the cotton bud?? For the body or for the camera?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by RxXxX View Post
    sorry to ask but if you guys could let me in on some info as to where in singapore there are cleaning services that are affordable.
    thanks for replying.
    If you're not looking for the respective brands' service centres, you can try P&G Photographic Centre. It's located at the basement of The Adelphi. David (IIRC) quoted me around $25 for sensor cleaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leg Fetish View Post
    Ok....... i expected some really nasty replies but suprisingly you guys are great. Thanks for the reply. But can i know wat are each item in the cleaning kit are use for? Especially the solution and the cotton bud?? For the body or for the camera?
    The solution is for the sensor. Honestly, do get somebody experienced in cleaning sensors to demonstrate for you before trying it yourself. It can be quite daunting for your 1st couple of attempts though. I prefer to have mine cleaned by a qualified shop, since I don't need to clean it that often. I'd rather spend that money and get peace of mind. I'm not that adventurous YET.
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

  13. #13

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    thanks Sol will go there tmr. have been checking out on websites and have found out that most recommended the sensor swab and eclipse. wonder if the shop that u recommended uses that too. thanks for the reply.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by RxXxX View Post
    thanks Sol will go there tmr. have been checking out on websites and have found out that most recommended the sensor swab and eclipse. wonder if the shop that u recommended uses that too. thanks for the reply.
    I'm not sure whether P&G Photographic Centre uses that. But I heard that Fuji Service Centre uses that. From what I gathered from Eclipse users here (some have tried other cleaning methods/products as well), it seems to be one of the best.

    Oh btw, CP had a promotion for the Eclipse products when I dropped by last month, while still considering whether to buy it or not. You get to save $10+ or $20+ if the promo is still on.
    Last edited by SolBadGuy; 19th November 2007 at 10:46 PM.
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

  15. #15

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    oh right erm how much was it sellling for ?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by RxXxX View Post
    oh right erm how much was it sellling for ?
    IIRC, the usual price for the solution is about $19, and the sensor swabs a whopping $90 or so, but they're reusable. the promo is the bundled package of the solution plus the swabs for $88. call them up and ask just to be sure. oh btw, do get the pec pads (needed to wrap arnd the swabs to reuse; the swabs do have the pads alr wrapped arnd i think). 100 or 150 pcs selling under $20.
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

  17. #17
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by SolBadGuy View Post
    If you're not looking for the respective brands' service centres, you can try P&G Photographic Centre. It's located at the basement of The Adelphi. David (IIRC) quoted me around $25 for sensor cleaning.

    Wow Bro, thxs for this info.

    I think there's some dust on my senser..... unknown spots on the photo. Might bring my camera down there for a cleaning after the 5th gathering..... Thxs

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  18. #18

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Wow Bro, thxs for this info.

    I think there's some dust on my senser..... unknown spots on the photo. Might bring my camera down there for a cleaning after the 5th gathering..... Thxs
    hmm, bro, test with a white wall and small aperture 1st. but then david will also help you with a no-obligation consultation..
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

  19. #19
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    Just did the test just now..... die lah, really got dust.

    #1 Canon 75-300mm


    #2 Canon 75-300mm crop


    #3 Sigma 18-125mm


    #4 Sigma 18-125mm crop


    I check the wall for the 2 dot at 45 deg........ non could be seen. I guess its time for senser cleaning after 8th dec......

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  20. #20

    Default Re: Complete cleaning of cameras

    try again after blowing your sensor? maybe you can blow the dust with a blower?
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •