Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sony Vaio or Apple

Default Re: Sony Vaio or Apple

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Errr, you're thinking of traditional, 1995-era PSU units. All laptop chargers are "international" now, supporting 100-240V, 50-60Hz.

FYI: The model I got was the FZ28G. 4700 SGD in Singapore, about 2970 SGD incl. shipping, GST, etc from the USA. I'm picking it up from the post office this afternoon.

ya i know in the USA or Europe is much cheaper than in asia. If from Europe is no problem they use the same voltage with asia. Only from USA that they use a different voltage 110.
    I am interested in the FZ model too. Can you let me know when you get your laptop.
    When you shipped from USA are you charged for the GST here? Do they send by DHL or something?
    Last edited by dharma; 19th November 2007 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dharma View Post
    ya i know in the USA or Europe is much cheaper than in asia. If from Europe is no problem they use the same voltage with asia. Only from USA that they use a different voltage 110.
    I am interested in the FZ model too. Can you let me know when you get your laptop.
    When you shipped from USA are you charged for the GST here? Do they send by DHL or something?
    Sent via vPost. GST is charged. If I were to fly to the USA for a business trip I could pick it up personally and avoid GST by not bringing it back in the box, etc. But since I don't have any upcoming trip to the USA, I mailed it instead.
    Alpha

Only from USA that they use a different voltage 110.
    FYI, it will work perfectly. Laptops and their chargers are designed for travel. That's why you can also bring a laptop from SG to the USA and it'll work fine.
    Alpha

I'm using a vaio sz at the moment and it hasn't fail me for most part.
    I have to admit Apple has an OS that is less prone to virus and attacks so u might want to consider that important fact.

FYI, it will work perfectly. Laptops and their chargers are designed for travel. That's why you can also bring a laptop from SG to the USA and it'll work fine.

I am asking you this because I've ever ask Sony USA and they said cannot.
    What I understand if from a higher voltage like to singapore to USA is no problem.
    The problem is from USA 110v to Asia, like Singapore using 240V.
    I am glad if they have international charger which means I can also order from the States.
    Can you help me to check to confirm when your laptop arrives... Thanks so much!

does warranty covers internationally?
    Games of Thrones.....

What I understand if from a higher voltage like to singapore to USA is no problem.
    I am glad if they have international charger which means I can also order from the States.
    The laptop works perfectly... And if necessary, you can buy a replacement charger here in SG.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by dfstan View Post
    does warranty covers internationally?
    Mine's an international 12-month warranty.
    Alpha

ultimately depends on whether u value the OS or not.

I am a vaio S series user here.
    Sony's screen is good, most models are light enough,looks good and have decent specs though u pay premium for the brandname.

If u don't mind using Vista ,then go for Sony.
    If u want to try OSX and don't mind learning new stuffs, go for the MBP.

The only thing different is the OS.

That's the ONLY difference. If not, you can compare Sony with Fujitsu or Toshiba or etc but you're not doing so. That says something

My laptop came with Vista Ultimate... I'll be reformatting this with XP. :P

Anyone need an Acer Ferrari 4005? Fantastic 1680x1050 resolution screen.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    The only thing different is the OS.
    Yup... Especially when you consider it's ASUS that manufactures the Macbooks.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDivine View Post
    ultimately depends on whether u value the OS or not.

I am a vaio S series user here.
    Sony's screen is good, most models are light enough,looks good and have decent specs though u pay premium for the brandname.

If u don't mind using Vista ,then go for Sony.
    If u want to try OSX and don't mind learning new stuffs, go for the MBP.
    u mean Sz series?

great model isn't it!
    mine's still doing fine after 9 mnths

Apple's laptops are definately capable of taking different voltages from 100 to 240v
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

If i'm not wrong, all you have to do is change the head of the adaptor.

Mine's an international 12-month warranty.
    which website you ordered from?

Did you have any problems shipping the lithium ion battery over using vpost. My last Vpost shipment of a E330 camera had massive problems due to the battery....

To me, I will not get any of them. Because both of them are over-priced Laptops in terms of specifications.

However, if you let me choose since its already over-priced, of course the apple man!
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    To me, I will not get any of them. Because both of them are over-priced Laptops in terms of specifications.

However, if you let me choose since its already over-priced, of course the apple man!
    Apple might look unique but design wise i doubt it has what i takes to surpass vaio sz/tx/ar.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    which website you ordered from?

Did you have any problems shipping the lithium ion battery over using vpost. My last Vpost shipment of a E330 camera had massive problems due to the battery....
    Nope, had no problem at all. I ordered through Amazon.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    Apple might look unique but design wise i doubt it has what i takes to surpass vaio sz/tx/ar.
    I like some of the Apple design like 2-finger touch of the touchpad (make scrolling very easy), no-tray CD drive, magnetic power cord, screen and keyboard light adjust according to ambience light, chio casing, good screen, camera is very small that blend in nicely.

But in term of technical spec, some of the things I find lacking is too few USB ports and not ultra-light weight, the keyboard is just so-so, battery life is so-so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12