Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 1Ds Mk 3 VS Nikon D3

Default Re: Canon 1Ds Mk 3 VS Nikon D3

just buy both

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakUp View Post
    just buy both
    I have already mentioned in my earlier post, if you have the cash, go ahead and buy both. Buy both and enjoy using both!

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx View Post
    The pixel density of the 1Ds Mk3 is LOWER than that of the D2x and about the same as a 20D. Do you have any complaints about D2x and 20D having too many pixels in a small sensor?
    I don't, but how about the noise level control for a High resolution FF sensor. Will it be noisier?

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    I support canon

I will buy neither of these, why not buy a 5D you wanna go full frame and spend the remaining on some L glasses.

The D3 is not much more expensive than a 5D considering the amount of technology put in.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Nikon All The Way, Dark Is The New Light!

Yeah, without the darkness, light will be useless......In a way darkness helps to make the light look good.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    The D3 is not much more expensive than a 5D considering the amount of technology put in.
    Err... now 5D is less then $4k is some countries. D3 is almost $8K

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Err... now 5D is less then $4k is some countries. D3 is almost $8K
    less than 4k not entirely accurate.... more like touching 3k...

hmmm... is the D3 2 and 1/2 times as good as the 5d?

The dark side... but... no money...

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    less than 4k not entirely accurate.... more like touching 3k...

hmmm... is the D3 2 and 1/2 times as good as the 5d?
    Maybe it's 2 and a half stops faster for the same noise? I'm not familiar with 5D so I don't know. But to me, $3k for a 5D would mean I need to spend more $$ to change my entire lens collection if I want to retain automatic functions.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Maybe it's 2 and a half stops faster for the same noise? I'm not familiar with 5D so I don't know. But to me, $3k for a 5D would mean I need to spend more $$ to change my entire lens collection if I want to retain automatic functions.
    Actually thg of that when i wanted to migrate to a full frame that time from Nikon, but to chg to another system is too expensive.

Once, a friend of mine said he wanted to get the D3 as it is a FULL FRAME cam... pure and simple... and it's the bestest of the best from Nikon. Not akin to pouring cold water over his head, I asked "why do you want/need FF for?" Ok, simple question should get simple answer... right?

"It's a full frame mah"..... yes, I know, but WHY??

"Full frame lor..." [I rest my case]

(BTW, he has $ to burn, so.... get it lor.... and all the 400/500/600 monsters that's coming out)
    Who Dares Wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Neither! Why?

1. I can't afford either

2. I don't support either of those 2 brands.
    I think most of the CZ lenses pricing is higher than those 2 brands too, right dude?

As much as I am critical of Canon's overly shrewd minimal upgrade mindset, I have to admit that in terms of image quality, or rather, color and tone characteristics, I tend to prefer Canon.

For some reason, Nikon's images tend to be overly saturated. Something like glamor shots from the '80s feel.

Believe me, there has been many a time my disdain with Canon's ways made me consider the dark side (regardless of the D3). At the end, it is always their high quality lenses and image quality that makes me stick back. For the non-1 series range, Canon half-heartedly design the camera, but always saves itself by putting in a decent sensor in it. Nothing can be characterized more as "Love/Hate" than my relationship with Canon, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker28 View Post
    Once, a friend of mine said he wanted to get the D3 as it is a FULL FRAME cam... pure and simple... and it's the bestest of the best from Nikon. Not akin to pouring cold water over his head, I asked "why do you want/need FF for?" Ok, simple question should get simple answer... right?

"It's a full frame mah"..... yes, I know, but WHY??

"Full frame lor..." [I rest my case]

(BTW, he has $ to burn, so.... get it lor.... and all the 400/500/600 monsters that's coming out)
    Wah, his really $$ man... those monsters doesn't comes cheap.

Canon produce better picture quality. Nikon provide better lens choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    As much as I am critical of Canon's overly shrewd minimal upgrade mindset, I have to admit that in terms of image quality, or rather, color and tone characteristics, I tend to prefer Canon.

For some reason, Nikon's images tend to be overly saturated. Something like glamor shots from the '80s feel.

Believe me, there has been many a time my disdain with Canon's ways made me consider the dark side (regardless of the D3). At the end, it is always their high quality lenses and image quality that makes me stick back. For the non-1 series range, Canon half-heartedly design the camera, but always saves itself by putting in a decent sensor in it. Nothing can be characterized more as "Love/Hate" than my relationship with Canon, LOL!
    Its the same for the DARK SIDE... its up for the individual perspective to judge on either N or C.

neither each is better than each others. The dark side do produce high quality lenses as well.
    I don't really compare both side by side.. neither who is better than who..
    Last edited by surflim; 1st December 2007 at 11:52 AM.

having worked with RAW files from both nikon and canon, amongst other brands, I can honestly say that to get the best colour and tone, all things being equal like proper exposure and all, it is up to the person handling the RAW file, not so much the camera... and if you want to squeeze the most out of your camera, you should be shooting raw...

D3 seems to be kicking up quite a storm amongst the US wedding photographers. Apart from a very credible ISO performance, the AF system (yes, comparing to the 1-series) and very low shutter lag is also prompting many very talented photographers to switch camps. These are all very basic stuff, but mean a huge deal to working photographers. For a hobbyist, Canon's 5D is more than enough, no doubt about that. But for a working photog, AF speed and accuracy, shutter lag, metering, flash system are all very important because often we do not have the time to compare frames to figure out the inconsistency, or in fact, have anything to distract the flow and rhythm of shooting. I really envy how they could just bite the bullet and absorb the financial loss just like that. Perhaps it's time to raise prices again :P

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    D3 seems to be kicking up quite a storm amongst the US wedding photographers. Apart from a very credible ISO performance, the AF system (yes, comparing to the 1-series) and very low shutter lag is also prompting many very talented photographers to switch camps. These are all very basic stuff, but mean a huge deal to working photographers. For a hobbyist, Canon's 5D is more than enough, no doubt about that. But for a working photog, AF speed and accuracy, shutter lag, metering, flash system are all very important because often we do not have the time to compare frames to figure out the inconsistency, or in fact, have anything to distract the flow and rhythm of shooting. I really envy how they could just bite the bullet and absorb the financial loss just like that. Perhaps it's time to raise prices again :P
    Agreed. For the working wedding/events photog, the D3 is a no brainer. Besides, his/her lens investments would not have been as heavy as say, the sports shooter. Switching camps is thus a far less expensive affair.

You dislike Canon's idea of squeezing more pixels on a 35 mm sensor:

Quote Originally Posted by dankar View Post
    Nikon D3 for me, if I need mega pixels, would prefer that it be on a medium format digital back. Clamping that much pixel in a 35 mm size sensor, something got to give.
    BUT, you are excited enough to report RUMORS about a NIKON multi-megapixel offering on a 35 mm sensor:

Quote Originally Posted by dankar View Post
    From what I've read, a mega pixel offering is in the pipeline with pixel count rivaling Canon's 1Ds Mk3 with similar D3 advantages excluding the FPS counts sometime next year.
    Kind of hypocritical.
    Last edited by thw; 1st December 2007 at 08:56 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast