Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast

Thread: What are the prerequisites for modelling?

Default Re: What are the prerequisites for modelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    No.
    Human relationship just doesn't intrest me.
    i can see why

YOU DON"T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK
    YOU DA MAN

how can anyone live with that?
    i'm glad you know that too
    self-awareness is a very important trait of a confident person

Prerequisites...
    send me your picture and I'll tell you
    (yes that's a serious comment...)

Thread moved to Kopitiam. Since this thread more of a want-to-know then a service related one.

Credits to the mods for keeping tabs on this thread and moving it to kopitiam instate of closing it for all the flame baiting that someone here is throwing.
    I'm just suprised that the flame baiter is still around, but than, I guess things are not serious enough yet.

To the rest of the "normal" people here, don't take the bait and he'll just die off.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Credits to the mods for keeping tabs on this thread and moving it to kopitiam instate of closing it for all the flame baiting that someone here is throwing.
    I'm just suprised that the flame baiter is still around, but than, I guess things are not serious enough yet.

To the rest of the "normal" people here, don't take the bait and he'll just die off.

Flamebait?
    How naive.
    As i've said,expect critics both good and bad.

Flamebait?
    How naive.
    start a new thread for yourself...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

had one of the top fashion photogs from italy stay with me for a few days in my condo, i forget his name and will ask my wife what it was later. anyways he was one of the top photogs in the 80's and 90's and has slowed down a bit because of his age but did some shoots in philippines and singapore before returning back to italy.

i showed him clubsnap, he was pretty amused not so much by the photogs, but of the "models" ... and now that i am writing this perhaps maybe i should not disclose his name after saying this because he is an industry leader. he was saying girls in singapore do not have it. in his words..."they might be pretty, but they are not beautiful, they do not know how to express emotion and feel the part or the bring forward the look."

i asked him about modeling schools...his response..."what is a modeling school...models need to know how to be beautiful, its hard to teach and either she can do it or she cannot." he was here doing a shoot for a magazine which flew him in. see, he has agents all over the world and when a magazine or company hires him for a shoot, his agents then will tell other companies that he will be in the area and next thing you know what was one job in one country turned into many jobs in the region.

getting back to models, one of his shoots was in singapore, two girls from the philippines and one, a 17 year-old, from the states...no locals, and again i asked him why? i'll only say this...TS was asking for prerequisites, if you are not creative, do not show emotion well, cannot bring what is inside to the outside for people to see, and do not know how to be beautiful, then practice and keep in mind, we all can run, but not all of us will have world class speed. to sum it up, what he said was models here are "lifeless"...so if you want to be a model...get a life

take it with a grain of salt, this is not bashing the girls here...this is coming from a leading photog with over 50 years in the industry. his comments remind me of a barber i used to go to back home. above her mirror she had a sign that read "i'm a beautician not a magician"... in other words, eventhough her profession is to make you look good, she can't do miracles.

...he still uses film, does use digital from time to time, will DI his own work, and he mentioned the best camera for weddings was a kodak that they stopped making. he mentioned something about the way the sensor picked up white and was the best for getting details such as beadery on a white bridal gown.

anyways, word count and have a good day

now that seems like a good sharing! not one liner prejudices.
    flickr me here ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg View Post
    had one of the top fashion photogs from italy stay with me for a few days in my condo, i forget his name and will ask my wife what it was later. anyways he was one of the top photogs in the 80's and 90's and has slowed down a bit because of his age but did some shoots in philippines and singapore before returning back to italy.

i showed him clubsnap, he was pretty amused not so much by the photogs, but of the "models" ... and now that i am writing this perhaps maybe i should not disclose his name after saying this because he is an industry leader. he was saying girls in singapore do not have it. in his words..."they might be pretty, but they are not beautiful, they do not know how to express emotion and feel the part or the bring forward the look."

i asked him about modeling schools...his response..."what is a modeling school...models need to know how to be beautiful, its hard to teach and either she can do it or she cannot." he was here doing a shoot for a magazine which flew him in. see, he has agents all over the world and when a magazine or company hires him for a shoot, his agents then will tell other companies that he will be in the area and next thing you know what was one job in one country turned into many jobs in the region.

getting back to models, one of his shoots was in singapore, two girls from the philippines and one, a 17 year-old, from the states...no locals, and again i asked him why? i'll only say this...TS was asking for prerequisites, if you are not creative, do not show emotion well, cannot bring what is inside to the outside for people to see, and do not know how to be beautiful, then practice and keep in mind, we all can run, but not all of us will have world class speed. to sum it up, what he said was models here are "lifeless"...so if you want to be a model...get a life

take it with a grain of salt, this is not bashing the girls here...this is coming from a leading photog with over 50 years in the industry. his comments remind me of a barber i used to go to back home. above her mirror she had a sign that read "i'm a beautician not a magician"... in other words, eventhough her profession is to make you look good, she can't do miracles.

...he still uses film, does use digital from time to time, will DI his own work, and he mentioned the best camera for weddings was a kodak that they stopped making. he mentioned something about the way the sensor picked up white and was the best for getting details such as beadery on a white bridal gown.

anyways, word count and have a good day
    So..really..what i've said was right along.

vince123123
    Guests

1. Your view on the Singaporean girls here is different from his view.

2. If you based your "right all along" on the view of one other person, then...sure...its up to you.

So..really..what i've said was right along.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    1. Your view on the Singaporean girls here is different from his view.

2. If you based your "right all along" on the view of one other person, then...sure...its up to you.
    I do remember makign 2 initial comments on 2 topics.
    I'm using his statement to refute the one i made about "there is no dream for a stone" meaning to imply,i do not see any potential in locals being True models.
    Many are probaly in for the 3sec of glamour.

maybe..

vince123123
    Guests

In that case, point out clearly what you think you are "right all along" rather than a blanket statement. My only strong impression of your views was that you hate Singaporean girls because of the way American-Asian girls in the United States act towards Asians in the United States.

It also doesn't detract from the fact that one other supporter does not equal to being "right". At best you can say "I knew there were others of like mind all along".

I do remember makign 2 initial comments on 2 topics.
    I'm using his statement to refute the one i made about "there is no dream for a stone" meaning to imply,i do not see any potential in locals being True models.
    Many are probaly in for the 3sec of glamour.

maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    In that case, point out clearly what you think you are "right all along" rather than a blanket statement. My only strong impression of your views was that you hate Singaporean girls because of the way American-Asian girls in the United States act towards Asians in the United States.

It also doesn't detract from the fact that one other supporter does not equal to being "right". At best you can say "I knew there were others of like mind all along".

I suggest u clean up a new mess in shiberty post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg

take it with a grain of salt, this is not bashing the girls here...this is coming from a leading photog with over 50 years in the industry. his comments remind me of a barber i used to go to back home. above her mirror she had a sign that read "i'm a beautician not a magician"... in other words, eventhough her profession is to make you look good, she can't do miracles...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Ya ... blatantly so!

OK lah, to findme, first off, asking questions is a good start. You might not always get the answers you think you want on a forum, but you might get good hints (like googling 'What it takes to be a model' or 'How to start a modelling career' or simply 'How to be a model').

If you ask me, a chio face and figure is not the main pre-requisites, even though they would certainly help. Being able to be brutally honest about your own looks and abilities without being cynical also helps. You also have to understand market needs and where you might fit in. You also need a very thick skin, but balanced with self-honesty if you don't want to end up disillusioned, sad and depressed with yourself and the industry.

Good facial structures that allow stylists and MUAs to create 'magic' is a definite asset. Look at some of the world's top models - without makeup and styling, some of them look like absolute crap!

I shared something with a newbie model once, and cut a long storey short, you need to be an 'actress'. Think of modeling as a scaled-down version of acting. Being able to project the rerquired emotions to create a certain mood or look is crucial to success, and so is professionalism and an unbelievably good working attitude. A clean and healthy lifestyle without drugs and alcohol and endless partying helps.

In the past (nooong nong ago) when I worked with US and UK newbie models, I found that they tend to have a more natural ability to emote and project quite easily once I explained what was needed. I think this has something to do with their (often) involvement with stage and drama work in their younger and high-school years. A lot of them, while not particularly academic, were also familiar with literature and other areas of the arts.

In order to help you project, you need to learn the technicalities of the trade. Angles, poses, what works and what doesn't. Experienced models and actresses even know what lighting angles and techniques will work to bring out their 'best side'.

Modelling is almost pure drudgery work at times, and involves long, back-breaking hours. Also, unless you're talking super-model levels, a model in only an ikan billis in the business scheme of things. I wonder why so many young girls want to get into it.

High-fashion and advertising modelling also isn't about the shortest skirt, biggest boobs and most chioness, contrary to popular belief.

OK, there. My 8 para crash intro and hopefully, answer to your question. Hope that helps some.
    Actually, there are many very beautiful Singapore ladies, except that they are not in the modelling industry.

And as regards the modelling industry, we have had local models making it in the international arena, or at least making it very big here. Names like Bonnie Hicks, Nora Arrifin and (I think a model named) Grace or Jane Chong comes to mind, and if I'm not mistaken, there were more, but mostly from the late 70s and 80s.

Bonnie and Nora are models that you have had to meet in person to appreciate what I am about to say - they can project a mood, a look or an aura - in an instant, and almost without any effort with just the smallest turn of their face or angle of their eyes. I once met Nora at a fashion award and was blown away not so much by her sheer physical beauty, but by the aura she projected just by walking into the room, and her facial expressions.

Sad to say, a lot of modern models lack the ability to carry and project a look well. More unfortunate is that they may have been mislead into thinking that superficialities like wearing coloured contact lenses that actually make them look like reptiles, changing their hair styles alone, putting on false eye-lashes that emulate a Jap 'Kawaii' look or a willingness to show more flesh would make them better models. It probably has made them more popular with hobbyist photographers though, so I guess that's a good thing in a sense that they are still able to generate some income from weekend shoots or trade shows and product promotions.

However, you have to remember one big exception, most of the discussion here were not taking into account the transient talent, foreign talent based in SG or catagorised talent managed by the big name agencies that would probably never consider sending one of their higher listed models for a weekend hobbyist shoot, or simply that their Cat A and B models would cost too much, even in the rere event that agency and model are willing to take up such a job. What you often see here in CS, with the exception of some exceptional (not all) foreign talent, would generally fall into the ungraded and Cat C model lists. So it's a bit unfair or incomplete to make sweeping judgements on the quality of local models based solely on what you see here in CS.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 20th November 2007 at 04:35 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

Thanks for the OT.

I suggest u clean up a new mess in shiberty post.

i think you hit it on the head, the part about how a model projects herself.

there are pretty women all over the world and i think we would all agree that although we might not find a person attractive, they can still be beautiful if there is an aura about them and i think this is what he was trying to say when he said a model needs to learn how to be beautiful. you ever notice how pregnant women sometimes have that shine, that glow, that aura...a skinny pretty girl are a dime a dozen, nothing special.

i've seen big women that i found beautiful,...why, because maybe it was the way they smiled, or carried themself, or the personality they showed. i think some people are going off the deep-end here in trying to link anything with race. it's more lifestyle, or upbringing. if you are reserved and do not know how to express yourself or do not carry an outward personality, how can you expect to shine through suttle movements, through eyes that can express any type of feeling, knowing how to be fluid without direction but instead from your own creativity.

we had a good chat and he did not say girls here do not have potential...so do not twist words to suit your cause, but he believes the upbringing and culture that is still somewhat closed or reserved will only get a cute, or pretty look...but not beautiful as he sees it. it's not neccessarily a look, or feature, not even a race. it's more about what a model can give within herself to the lens of the photographer.

i only answered this thread because it mentioned what a model might need as a prerequisite, and his advice was models to know how to be beautiful

i think maybe next time he comes back i might invite a few csers to have a chat with him. he doesn't give seminars because his voice is not strong...my wife...huhhhhhh, she told him i'm into photography and do some stuff for a magazine. he asked to see some of my work...i had a few A3 prints, i showed it to him and he basically said. aaaaaaaa, oooooooooo.....i guess he didn't find anything beautiful, hahaha

howcome part of this thread was about american or euro guys and asian girls or whatever it was?

vince123123
    Guests

1. Glad that you clarified.

2. Actually it was all along like this, until someone came crashing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg View Post
    i think you hit it on the head, the part about how a model projects herself.

there are pretty women all over the world and i think we would all agree that although we might not find a person attractive, they can still be beautiful if there is an aura about them and i think this is what he was trying to say when he said a model needs to learn how to be beautiful. you ever notice how pregnant women sometimes have that shine, that glow, that aura...a skinny pretty girl are a dime a dozen, nothing special.

i've seen big women that i found beautiful,...why, because maybe it was the way they smiled, or carried themself, or the personality they showed. i think some people are going off the deep-end here in trying to link anything with race. it's more lifestyle, or upbringing. if you are reserved and do not know how to express yourself or do not carry an outward personality, how can you expect to shine through suttle movements, through eyes that can express any type of feeling, knowing how to be fluid without direction but instead from your own creativity.

we had a good chat and he did not say girls here do not have potential...so do not twist words to suit your cause, but he believes the upbringing and culture that is still somewhat closed or reserved will only get a cute, or pretty look...but not beautiful as he sees it. it's not neccessarily a look, or feature, not even a race. it's more about what a model can give within herself to the lens of the photographer.

i only answered this thread because it mentioned what a model might need as a prerequisite, and his advice was models to know how to be beautiful

i think maybe next time he comes back i might invite a few csers to have a chat with him. he doesn't give seminars because his voice is not strong...my wife...huhhhhhh, she told him i'm into photography and do some stuff for a magazine. he asked to see some of my work...i had a few A3 prints, i showed it to him and he basically said. aaaaaaaa, oooooooooo.....i guess he didn't find anything beautiful, hahaha

howcome part of this thread was about american or euro guys and asian girls or whatever it was?

Flamebait?
    How naive.
    I don't think I was refering to you but since you replied .............

You opinion of me being naive is OK, I'll accept that you consider me naive though I and many here don't think/know me to be so. Wounder how many here think the same of you.

Cheers and have a great fishing trip
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Actually, there are many very beautiful Singapore ladies, except that they are not in the modelling industry.

And as regards the modelling industry, we have had local models making it in the international arena, or at least making it very big here. Names like Bonnie Hicks, Nora Arrifin and (I think a model named) Grace or Jane Chong comes to mind, and if I'm not mistaken, there were more, but mostly from the late 70s and 80s.

Bonnie and Nora are models that you have had to meet in person to appreciate what I am about to say - they can project a mood, a look or an aura - in an instant, and almost without any effort with just the smallest turn of their face or angle of their eyes. I once met Nora at a fashion award and was blown away not so much by her sheer physical beauty, but by the aura she projected just by walking into the room, and her facial expressions.

Sad to say, a lot of modern models lack the ability to carry and project a look well. More unfortunate is that they may have been mislead into thinking that superficialities like wearing coloured contact lenses that actually make them look like reptiles, changing their hair styles alone, putting on false eye-lashes that emulate a Jap 'Kawaii' look or a willingness to show more flesh would make them better models. It probably has made them more popular with hobbyist photographers though, so I guess that's a good thing in a sense that they are still able to generate some income from weekend shoots or trade shows and product promotions.

However, you have to remember one big exception, most of the discussion here were not taking into account the transient talent, foreign talent based in SG or catagorised talent managed by the big name agencies that would probably never consider sending one of their higher listed models for a weekend hobbyist shoot, or simply that their Cat A and B models would cost too much, even in the rere event that agency and model are willing to take up such a job. What you often see here in CS, with the exception of some exceptional (not all) foreign talent, would generally fall into the ungraded and Cat C model lists. So it's a bit unfair or incomplete to make sweeping judgements on the quality of local models based solely on what you see here in CS.
    Bro, it's Jane Chong.

Another good example is Zoe Tay in her modelling days. Not a drop dead beauty but is very good in projecting the required look need for the shoot. Ask any old timer photographer who have worked with her and I'm sure they will tell you the same.

To TS,
    What level of modelling do you want to be in? Modelling is not just about a cute face or the willingness to show some skin. This may work for the short term or for trade shows where all they need is a nice model in tight top and a short skirt.
    So what do you want to do? What is your goal? Just as a part time model to earn some pocket money with a few hours of weekend job? Let us know, I'm sure someone here will be willing to point you in the right direction.

Thanks YQT.

At least I remembered part of her name correctly! Growing old oredi mah!

It was AMAZING how Singapore hated her, comdemend her and immediately after, all the big name designers in Milan could wait to sign her on! As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Did you ever see Nora's Paris spread in Swimwear Illustrated? The way she expressed herself through her eyes, face and body would put many models to shame.

Add: Apologies Find Me ... OT again. Sigh, it's a virus here in CS I tell you, all this OT-ing!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 22nd November 2007 at 12:03 AM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast