Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we posted

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    61

    Default How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we posted

    Hi Guys,

    Any idea how we do the above mentioned? An example would be from the following URL


    You can try doing a mouse 'right click' then 'save as' and save the picture and after that, you open the file. You won't be able to save the picture at all.

    Any Gurus out there who can enlighten me? It is for one of my project and I would like this feature to be in.

    Look forward to getting replies from you guys!!

    Thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    disable right click will not prevent others from saving you photos, as long your photos are put online, can be seen in anybody monitors, than there is no way to safe guard you photos, it is so easy to look in the temporary folders in the PC for the photos, screen capture software can capture and save anything on monitor screen.

    the best way to safe guard you photos is keep them in your harddisc, don't put it online.

    only a few ways to discourage people from saving your photos are:
    #1, show only low res images.
    #2, keep you images pixel size as small as possible
    #3, display watermake in your images
    #4, display your images as flash
    #5, slice your images into multiple segments/files.

    hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Hi MegaWeb, thanks for the links. Do you have other solutions that do not use scripts? Because from what I understand is that, once you disable javascript in your explorer, the codes will be useless and 'they' will still be able to right click on it and save? Please correct me if I got the concept wrong.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    disable right click will not prevent others from saving you photos, as long your photos are put online, can be seen in anybody monitors, than there is no way to safe guard you photos, it is so easy to look in the temporary folders in the PC for the photos, screen capture software can capture and save anything on monitor screen.

    the best way to safe guard you photos is keep them in your harddisc, don't put it online.

    only a few ways to discourage people from saving your photos are:
    #1, show only low res images.
    #2, keep you images pixel size as small as possible
    #3, display watermake in your images
    #4, display your images as flash
    #5, slice your images into multiple segments/files.

    hope this help.
    Hi Catchlights, Thank you for your pointers and response. I truly understand that if I do not want any one to copy my images, I shld not even post them online. But what I meant and what I want to find out is how the clubsnap web admin did it. From the URL I gave as an example, what you see is a picture hosted by Clubsnap Gallery, but when you proceed to do a 'save as', it turns out to be a clubsnap logo instead. Though it won't prevent people from doing a print screen, at least it make it more troublesome for them. HAHA..

    Anyway if anyone has a solution to add a big watermark to the image/ change the image to some other images when someone do a print screen, can you please share with me? ahahah or is this IMPOSSIBLE to start with. Just a tot..

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Quote Originally Posted by coughybean View Post
    Hi Catchlights, Thank you for your pointers and response. I truly understand that if I do not want any one to copy my images, I shld not even post them online. But what I meant and what I want to find out is how the clubsnap web admin did it. From the URL I gave as an example, what you see is a picture hosted by Clubsnap Gallery, but when you proceed to do a 'save as', it turns out to be a clubsnap logo instead. Though it won't prevent people from doing a print screen, at least it make it more troublesome for them. HAHA..

    Anyway if anyone has a solution to add a big watermark to the image/ change the image to some other images when someone do a print screen, can you please share with me? ahahah or is this IMPOSSIBLE to start with. Just a tot..
    sorry, I don't know is there anyway to prevent it, cos the your images already loaded into other people computer when they see your images.....
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    sorry, I don't know is there anyway to prevent it, cos the your images already loaded into other people computer when they see your images.....
    Hmm.. true.. Thanks for your response! I'll consider your suggestion of slicing it up. WAhahah

  8. #8
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    People can always do a printscreen.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Or just use a screen capture software like Corel Capture and just capture the whole screen. If it goes beyond the screen they can still capture it in parts and join them in Photoshop heheh...

    The best is to watermark it and try not to put up too big a photo that is useable by others. That's the way the world is like these days. Leeching is just too easy to do or learn to do unfortunately. I personally try not to even show my very best shots online just in case. If I want to sell my photography services..I would rather go meet the client and do a presentation. I might show a few small shots with watermark for online shots. Usually within reasons, the watermark will not take too much away from your creativity of the shot. The quality might fall short as the picture is small. Sometime I suspect the only one tha complain you use too big a watermark or should change it to another location are really the leechers trying to get you take it out so you post something they can steal. But that's just me.

    Anything you post on the net can or in the near future be leeched from your site..that's the negativity of the net.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    400 by 300, quality 6. Watermark.

    Don't see what's the fuss about. If you want it displayed in public, you have to consume the risks.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  11. #11

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    read this

    end of story
    there are only 80,000 ways to steal a picture, so let them steal rubbish that cannot be sold
    what are they going to do with a 800 x 600 picture?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    400 by 300, quality 6. Watermark.

    Don't see what's the fuss about. If you want it displayed in public, you have to consume the risks.
    Hmm.. Just wondering, did you go to this url http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=327144 to take a look? Actually all I want to know is ... how to do it. Maybe my title is wrong from the start. ahahah ...

  13. #13
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Eh, why that thread pictures cannot save meh? Which photo/post are you talking about that cannot save?

    Quote Originally Posted by coughybean View Post
    Hmm.. Just wondering, did you go to this url http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=327144 to take a look? Actually all I want to know is ... how to do it. Maybe my title is wrong from the start. ahahah ...

  14. #14
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Quote Originally Posted by coughybean View Post
    Hmm.. Just wondering, did you go to this url http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=327144 to take a look? Actually all I want to know is ... how to do it. Maybe my title is wrong from the start. ahahah ...
    I had no problem...going to the link you put up and then copy the photo. Open it in photoshop on my computer and resave it again and again and again heheh..I don't see why you can't save it once you have managed to save it to your PC. In my case that is XP anyway.

    If you feel there is something that prevents people from saving it on your own computer...well there is no code in it to prevent me from saving it or resave as far as I can see.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    ALL those 'anti image save' things are useless in one way or another. They will only stop a computer noob from getting your image.

    If it's on the screen, some one can make a copy of it.

    If you try to 'image save' on a html web site, and I want the image, I'll just open up a html debugger, find the html object I want and save it.

    You can do some complex stuff using flash that's more difficult to get around - except that of course 'print screen' will capture that too.

    All you can do it watermark, and even then, I've had some one take an image off my own web site and crop my watermark off and use it on their own site. With out asking or proper attribution. (A friend visited the offenders web site and noticed the image as being very much like one of mine...)

    Another worm who thought 'Internet == free, no copyright', even though they took the effort and cropped my watermarked copyright message off the image they used...

    A depressing number of people seem to think if the content is 'free' it doesn't have copyright any more is and is 'public domain'.
    Last edited by matthew; 18th November 2007 at 01:41 PM.

  16. #16
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Let them steal then take legal action to earn some money.


  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    ALL those 'anti image save' things are useless in one way or another. They will only stop a computer noob from getting your image.

    If it's on the screen, some one can make a copy of it.

    If you try to 'image save' on a html web site, and I want the image, I'll just open up a html debugger, find the html object I want and save it.

    You can do some complex stuff using flash that's more difficult to get around - except that of course 'print screen' will capture that too.

    All you can do it watermark, and even then, I've had some one take an image off my own web site and crop my watermark off and use it on their own site. With out asking or proper attribution. (A friend visited the offenders web site and noticed the image as being very much like one of mine...)

    Another worm who thought 'Internet == free, no copyright', even though they took the effort and cropped my watermarked copyright message off the image they used...

    A depressing number of people seem to think if the content is 'free' it doesn't have copyright any more is and is 'public domain'.
    Hmm those people ought to be *BANG*. Anyway, I just want to make people who leech people's work life more difficult if they decide to steal.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Let them steal then take legal action to earn some money.

    Good one! But to sue also need $$ ..

  19. #19

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    If it is online , there r means n ways de. u can always printscreen than crop n save...additional steps but if pple wanna do it...they will find e means to do so.

  20. #20

    Default Re: How can we prevent people from doing a right click, save as on the pictures we po

    If one wants the image badly, one will get it no matter what measures are taken to prevent it.

    TS, may I know what is your project about? Present is as a flash video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •