Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 117

Thread: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

  1. #21

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Flag down is $2.50.
    No. Its $2.70. Booking fee during peak hours $4.

  2. #22
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    No, actually its S$2.50 AND S$2.70.

    There are two flag down rates - the cheaper ones for the old taxis, the more expensive one for the new hyundai taxis (or maybe some versions of the mercedes).

    Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion View Post
    No. Its $2.70. Booking fee during peak hours $4.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    darn.. prices going up and up. hope teleportation technology comes to us quick!

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    darn.. prices going up and up. hope teleportation technology comes to us quick!
    later 1 zap 100 bucks... gg...

    or another fly zap together with u...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    get a bicycle and cycle. environmental-friendly and cost-effective. let's make singapore the next country after china and vietnam where bicycles are a common sight on the roads.
    if too many bicycles.. might get taxed oso..

  6. #26

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    No, actually its S$2.50 AND S$2.70.

    There are two flag down rates - the cheaper ones for the old taxis, the more expensive one for the new hyundai taxis (or maybe some versions of the mercedes).
    I see, don't really take taxi. More taxi are changing to Hyundai. Soon, all will be charging at $2.70.

    2 things that I noted was smooth driving and lesser bumps.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    erp is not a deterrent....it is a TAX

    if you want to deter people, make it $20, now that is a deterrent. maybe even $5 is a deterrent. but if you only gonna make it 50 cents or $1 or so, hehehe, you not gonna deter too many people. government know this, and they also know it is a way to collect more money without too much inconvenience on people...erp is nothing more than a tax, a way to tax you without you knowing it.

    some other csers pointed out that the stupid thing regarding erp is that yeah, taxi drivers will not want to enter...government need to waive the erp for taxis.

    i look at it as increase the erp to $3-5 dollars and keep it closer, tighter to the city, none of this creeping out further and further bullsh*t. maybe less people drive, maybe not, but it is more of a deterrent than a 50 cent or 1 dollar tax, because make no mistake, it is a tax to get money from you to pay for something else. use the newly acquired revenues to go back into the mass transit system so maybe no need to raise fares on people who ARE HELPING by not driving ( i know, some don't have a car, but hey, that helps right?) and lastly take away erp charges for cabbies, after all cabbies ARE HELPING too by taking cars off the road and saving parking slots right?

    sounds stupid, maybe...but i think everyone has a stake and therefore some balance should be in order where there is at least some benefit and not only a take take take business as usual mindset. as for driving and paying more, yeah it sucks, but think of it this way...if it keeps mrt or bus costs down, then in a sense you are helping yourself by "paying" for the luxery of less congestion and cheaper fares for your children that might be taking mass transit. i know, i know, you still not happy and bad effort haha


    if erp is truly a deterrent, then make it one...otherwise do not have it and be honest with the people in singapore and just say "hey, we wanted to tax you so we made a story about traffic congestion so you would buy into it...literally buy into it."

    anyway, jus my opinion...sometimes you really gotta question people in charge and make them transparent and accountable for what they do.

    word count?

    ...anyways you probably heard all this before.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    If all company change to shift type style of working, I doubt ERP will be effective. Since all going in at different timing but hor, got side effect like worsen relationship as each other hardly meet n find new lover.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  9. #29

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    hello hello

    COME HERE AND SIT THE TUBE

    AND YOU HAVE THE ANSWER TO

    Question : When more people take public transport because of the ERP, what happens to the number of vehicles used for public transport?


    Answer : They become over-crowded so the public transport companies have to spend more to cover the increasing demand.
    then you'll find out how bad over-crowding can get at rush hour. singapore in comparison is OWNAGE. if i had the guts to take out my camera to shoot in a can of sardines, i would show using my uwa how bad it is. it gets so bad that the train cannot start at times. the other day i had the very fun experience of the train driver threatening to just stop the train and walk off. and the saddest part is, he could do that and nobody would be able to do a thing

    so please, i am amused by how people like to kbkb, gimme the mrt over here, and i will gladly do something silly everyday, like dance in the sun or something, just to get rid of the tube.

    in any case, i am also amused by how this argument is overly simplistic and widely accepted. basically, an argument has to be both VALID and SOUND for it to be logical. validity is when the argument follows through based on the premises. soundness, is with regards to examining whether the premises are true.

    your little boy or girl who wrote this thing, sounds like a coconut jc student who has just but touched the surface of economics and is making mountains out of molehills. if we could look at life so simply, i wish, then economists would know what to do everytime, because their models would probably be all linear or something, and we would NEVER EVER have economic regression and all that jazz. what a load of hogwash written there.

  10. #30
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    No point to compare with other countries, factors are all different. Also, for every mountain higher/lower, there's always another lower/higher.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg View Post
    erp is not a deterrent....it is a TAX

    if you want to deter people, make it $20, now that is a deterrent. maybe even $5 is a deterrent. but if you only gonna make it 50 cents or $1 or so, hehehe, you not gonna deter too many people. government know this, and they also know it is a way to collect more money without too much inconvenience on people...erp is nothing more than a tax, a way to tax you without you knowing it.

    some other csers pointed out that the stupid thing regarding erp is that yeah, taxi drivers will not want to enter...government need to waive the erp for taxis.

    i look at it as increase the erp to $3-5 dollars and keep it closer, tighter to the city, none of this creeping out further and further bullsh*t. maybe less people drive, maybe not, but it is more of a deterrent than a 50 cent or 1 dollar tax, because make no mistake, it is a tax to get money from you to pay for something else. use the newly acquired revenues to go back into the mass transit system so maybe no need to raise fares on people who ARE HELPING by not driving ( i know, some don't have a car, but hey, that helps right?) and lastly take away erp charges for cabbies, after all cabbies ARE HELPING too by taking cars off the road and saving parking slots right?

    sounds stupid, maybe...but i think everyone has a stake and therefore some balance should be in order where there is at least some benefit and not only a take take take business as usual mindset. as for driving and paying more, yeah it sucks, but think of it this way...if it keeps mrt or bus costs down, then in a sense you are helping yourself by "paying" for the luxery of less congestion and cheaper fares for your children that might be taking mass transit. i know, i know, you still not happy and bad effort haha


    if erp is truly a deterrent, then make it one...otherwise do not have it and be honest with the people in singapore and just say "hey, we wanted to tax you so we made a story about traffic congestion so you would buy into it...literally buy into it."

    anyway, jus my opinion...sometimes you really gotta question people in charge and make them transparent and accountable for what they do.

    word count?

    ...anyways you probably heard all this before.
    if you raise erp suddenly, it would be unfair to those who bought the car at skyhigh coe price a few years back. now they are shifting the cost to pay as you drive rather than pay as you own. however the shift has to be done gradually. imagine what will happen if say they lower the coe one shot to 1k (by issuing out more coe) but increase the erp to $50 next month? people who are going to get the car can still decide if they are going to own the car but those who already bought one yesterday will be forced to stomach the change.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I found this somewhere and thought its interesting to share it here:

    Question : When the price of public transport goes up, how does it impact the ERP?

    Answer : It makes the ERP less effective in curbing traffic congestion! So more people start driving again. When more people start driving again, the ERP goes up again. The people start taking public transport again ad infinitum.
    This reasoning is flawed. I can bet ERP is going to rise much faster than the price of public transport.

  13. #33
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    No clue on the reasoning, it didn't originate from me.

    Quote Originally Posted by theonlyone View Post
    This reasoning is flawed. I can bet ERP is going to rise much faster than the price of public transport.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    No point to compare with other countries, factors are all different. Also, for every mountain higher/lower, there's always another lower/higher.
    i disagree

    if there is no basis for comparison, how is one to be happy or sad

    there is only such thing as FAIR or UNFAIR comparison, if we are to factor in the different factors like living standards, and population density, i think you'd see that there is NO EXCUSE for the british administration

    in terms of living standards, i dare say the tube would cost about equivalent as the mrt does to singaporean.

    to be fair, they have no way to upgrade it, since the city is so bloody dependent on it, no way to halt operations to do a major overhaul.

    in any case, i am extremely bemused by the way where you have merely entertained my angsty rant part, and not responded to the other part of my last post

    selective vision, as it is, is also a major part of the singaporean way of life

  15. #35

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by theonlyone View Post
    This reasoning is flawed. I can bet ERP is going to rise much faster than the price of public transport.
    serious boh.

    anyways - i did think there was mention of plans to implement a system where car usage would be literally PAY AS YOU GO? meaning car pricing would be cheaper, but a literally island wide erp charging system. sounds fair to me, so long as the costs stay reasonable. this way you can enjoy the convenience of having a car when you need it, without having to worry about not using it because you have paid so much for your coe, etc

  16. #36
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    One is happy or sad based on what he thinks himself.

    There is no requirement for comparison. In fact, comparing will artificially affect one's own independent feeling of happiness, for a all-along-happy man walked over to the other side of the hill, saw greener grass, and immediately became unhappy at his lesser green grass.

    As for responding, when no post is directed towards me, I only respond to points I felt were of interest to me - unless you are saying that anyone who response in a thread must respond to all points made before his post.

    Or unless you are now saying that your "last part" was directed specifically towards me because that was not apparent from your post.

    You may be the one guilty of the things you call others.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i disagree

    if there is no basis for comparison, how is one to be happy or sad

    there is only such thing as FAIR or UNFAIR comparison, if we are to factor in the different factors like living standards, and population density, i think you'd see that there is NO EXCUSE for the british administration

    in terms of living standards, i dare say the tube would cost about equivalent as the mrt does to singaporean.

    to be fair, they have no way to upgrade it, since the city is so bloody dependent on it, no way to halt operations to do a major overhaul.

    in any case, i am extremely bemused by the way where you have merely entertained my angsty rant part, and not responded to the other part of my last post

    selective vision, as it is, is also a major part of the singaporean way of life

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    When were bus fares 35 cents? That must have been a long time ago.

    Back in as early a day as I can remember, bus fares were 25cents for children and 50 cents for adults or thereabout?
    that was still using the tiny slips of coloured paper where the conductor punch a hole in..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  18. #38
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Ah, but those are b4 ur time leh :P

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    that was still using the tiny slips of coloured paper where the conductor punch a hole in..

  19. #39
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    I remember, I used to collect the tickets whenever I got the nice numbers.. life was so much simpler then.

    ../azul123

  20. #40

    Default Re: Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    One is happy or sad based on what he thinks himself.

    There is no requirement for comparison. In fact, comparing will artificially affect one's own independent feeling of happiness, for a all-along-happy man walked over to the other side of the hill, saw greener grass, and immediately became unhappy at his lesser green grass.

    As for responding, when no post is directed towards me, I only respond to points I felt were of interest to me - unless you are saying that anyone who response in a thread must respond to all points made before his post.

    Or unless you are now saying that your "last part" was directed specifically towards me because that was not apparent from your post.

    You may be the one guilty of the things you call others.
    ? you are the one who posted up the interesting information

    effectively this is interesting, this means that you are of the view that if someone just pushes something forth while implicitly agreeing with it without stating it out explicitly, he is immune to criticism with regards to his agreement. unless of course, you do not agree. in which case make it clear, please. in any case, you are the only one who responded to my last post, so if you choose to respond to one part, while holding a disagreement with the second part (remember, once you reply that you DO NOT AGREE, you are thereby absolved, i suppose).. is it not selective vision?

    do not even understand the last part thing, i was responding to the pathetic argument put forth, which many here tend to agree with, yes, including you, apparently. in which case, refer to last paragraph.

    if a man is truly happy, there is no such thing as comparison that will make him unhappy. a man who is content with what he has, with his patch of grass, can look at greener grass, compare the greener grass that is greener than his patch and still feel happy because he has attained a level beyond which comparison has no meaning to him. this is something that people choose to ignore, refuse to acknowledge and do not even try to understand most of the time in life. and i guess that is why there are a lot of unhappy people in this world.

    in any case, i have already mentioned before that i will try to refrain from such discussions, it is always the same group of individuals perpetuating weird nonsense, i expect some of the rest to come in soon and hoot me together (edited for effect, refer to post after this one ), so i will take my leave, since it does not give me any pleasure to try to overcome bull-headedness and a blatant lack of logic. we all believe what we want to believe. cheers.

    btw, it's SAMA SAMA, what SAMO SAMO, lol
    Last edited by night86mare; 17th November 2007 at 07:25 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •