Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Setup for taiwan trip

Default Re: Setup for taiwan trip

Taiwan brings back memories for me! I have been to this beautiful island 5 times! Tips for you would be to carry light and enjoy the trip. Never leave anything important on the bus. Since you are with a tour group, there is time constrain on your journey. My advice would be to carry light and with just 1 lens as you do not have the luxury of time to wander around much with a packed iternary that is customary of a tour group.

Reasons as to why I have been to Taiwan for 5 times? First, it was due to National Service and I spent 3 days R&R there. I am hooked by the natural beauty and friendly people that this island has to offer.

During my university days, I went with 2 close friends on a 2 wks free-and-easy tour of Taiwan. We went from Taipei and went clockwise around the coast of Taiwan. It costs us barely $1K each inclusive of the air tickets and the food and the lodging. Of course, we walked a lot but the trip was memorable.

For the 2nd time, I went with my colleague and for the third time, I went with my parents and a close fried

For the 4th time, I went with my wife.

For the 5th time, I went again with my close friend, this time conquering the offshore islands. It was fantastic!

Enjoy your trip!

Just in case you are interested. The last time (5th time) I was in Taiwan, I brought along only a single lens (18-200 VR) + flash and it was sufficient for me to capture all the sights and sounds of taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypaladin View Post
    Just in case you are interested. The last time (5th time) I was in Taiwan, I brought along only a single lens (18-200 VR) + flash and it was sufficient for me to capture all the sights and sounds of taiwan.
    Ah...great! My D80 + 18-200VR + SB600 will be good! But i'll bring a 50mm f1.8 and maybe a light tripod as well...
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

if you are still going qingjing, you can visit here.

i still believe that it is going to be a high yield area if you got the time, get the right timing, and know how to avoid crowds (at the farm). while you may not get the super wide angle landscape without people, there is plenty of tele isolation possible.

there seems a lot more minshuku (something like B & Bs) there, and many are well decorated. 3 years ago i stayed here as well as another minshuku called victoria, i think. walking through these areas will give you lots of possibilities too.
    Last edited by zoossh; 20th November 2007 at 10:11 PM.

Lol since u are going with a group on hols shouldnt u be enjoying urself more?

sorry but I would rather think that you not bog yourself with too much stuff especially taiwan with so much to eat and play. no doubt the scenery is nice too

furthermore, pardon me if i am wrong, taiwan at this time of the year is cold and prone to cold streams which means temperature can suddenly drop drastically with sudden light showers. sudden condensation and rain is definitely a nono for lenses.

Furthermore crowded area and airport could be a bummer.., more stuffs to look after esp when u are there to enjoy.

recommend juz the camera and a walk about?
    though for me i would travel with an additional P & S for group and fun shots ( =

enjoy yourself man.. do provide feedbacks after the trip (= will be going there again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Qingkai View Post
    Lol since u are going with a group on hols shouldnt u be enjoying urself more?
    for some of us, getting satisfied photos become the main enjoyment of the trip, so it really depends.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    for some of us, getting satisfied photos become the main enjoyment of the trip, so it really depends.
    Thing is I'm going on a trip with secondary school kids, all of which are my juniors which are at least more than 7 batches younger... So my main satisfaction may not derive from mixing around with them. Most likely it will be to get good shots of the trip.

Like i mentioned earlier, I'll settle with a D80 + 18-200VR when I'm walking around. I'll be bringing Sb600 for group shots (was arrowed to be trip's official photographer) as well. And since the 50f1.8 is so light, I'll just bring it too. Lastly, maybe a tripod for low light group shots or for my own personal use after the day ends (eg. night shots).

Oh, i'll be bringing my 3yr old sony compact as well. For times when whisking out a Dslr is too much at certain locations.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123