Thread: CaptureNX / Lightroom or others?

Default CaptureNX / Lightroom or others?

I have been into digital photography for about 7 months, but I barely do much photo editing besides a) contrast b) black/white/sepia conversion c) minor cropping

My focus now will be to learn about editing photos to make them more pleasing. This is presume, will be to learn how to:
    a) Edit white balance
    b) Edit skin flaws like pimples/stray hair etc
    c) Increase tonal range of the photo

Well, I guess most of the stuff I wanna achieve is simple to most of you guys but to a lazy person like me....

Considering what I want to achieve, which software should I invest my $$ and time in?

Thanks guys!
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

Default Re: CaptureNX / Lightroom or others?

I presume you are having a Nikon camera, now are you shooting RAW or jpeg?
    Do you shoot tons of pics or just a little bit?
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

why not download the demo and judge for urself?
    I would think lightroom is pretty good but no idea abt capture nx

if you do not want to "slug" thru all the PP, go for lightroom, as far as i know NX claws even on a very decent machine (c2d + 3gb ram)... but i heard there is some performance gain on the latest patches. having said that, it does give significant better quality than LR from what I have experienced.

I also recommend that you download and try Lightroom for 30 days. I am a big fan of the program but you need to check it suits your needs. You could also download and try Adobe Photoshop Elements to see if that will meet your needs too.

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback.
    I currently shoot JPEG Nikon. Rarely in RAW. (maybe next time)

Each shoot I go, I get about 300 images.Of which I will shortlist about 150 to keep.
    From that 150, I focus on about 30 that I really like to do the adjustments on.

Looking at my current PC setup of a P4, 2.4hz, 256ram, I'd think I need to re-evaluate if I need to upgrade my PC as well, esp the RAM.

Oh yes, my silly PC is now officially virused, so when that is up, I will try the LR Trial.

In terms of cost, would they cost the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Benji77 View Post
    .....I currently shoot JPEG Nikon. Rarely in RAW. (maybe next time)

Each shoot I go, I get about 300 images.Of which I will shortlist about 150 to keep.

Looking at my current PC setup of a P4, 2.4hz, 256ram, I'd think I need to re-evaluate if I need to upgrade my PC as well, esp the RAM.

Oh yes, my silly PC is now officially virused, so when that is up, I will try the LR Trial.

You may experiment with the freeware Nikon ViewNX or Nikon View 6.2.7 which can be downloaded from Nikon's website. They come with basic image editing capabilities and less demanding on the computer as compared to Nikon CaptureNX :-)

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback.

cost of NX and LR is quite close, NX is about $200+ iirc...

for you system, i think it really for photoediting, the cheapest way would probably be to stuck 2 more pieces of 1GB ram... that probably gonna cost you S$70-180 depending on if you are running DDR1 or 2, latter will be cheaper. and yes, with your current system, i can safely say, avoid NX at all cost.

if you are a serious RAW shooter, don mind spending "quite" abit more on software, like to waste minimal time on PP and demand good result, I would suggest Capture One Pro (not sure of LE v.). It ain't cheap, but definitely hell lot faster than NX, and output looks much better than LR as well, imho.
    They currently having a beta2 test out on CaptureOne 4, you probably want to test it out.

Man! Kudos to you guys on your skills and info on the software components! I have lots to catch up on! The thought of having to spend first on my PC setup already gives me the shivers.

I think due to cost, i would have to consider only the NX or LR.

If there was one main advantage of LR over NX, what would it be?

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback.

if you shoot jpeg then i would not go for Capture NX, Nikon View NX can do the file viewing. LR gives you the database, file viewing and adjustments. I would go for LR.
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Man! Kudos to you guys on your skills and info on the software components! I have lots to catch up on! The thought of having to spend first on my PC setup already gives me the shivers.

I think due to cost, i would have to consider only the NX or LR.

If there was one main advantage of LR over NX, what would it be?
    other than what michael have said, i think the most significant advantage would be SPEED, but once you use NX, you will probably love its U-point technology.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    other than what michael have said, i think the most significant advantage would be SPEED, but once you use NX, you will probably love its U-point technology.
    Looks like its U Point VS Speed.

Umm..sorry, but would anyone be able to summarise what is U Point about?
    Will LR have the same function but just that I have to do it in a different way?

Looks like its U Point VS Speed.

Umm..sorry, but would anyone be able to summarise what is U Point about?
    Will LR have the same function but just that I have to do it in a different way?
    no, even if there is, it will be very tedious... its almost like masking and layer in CS...
    http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...rControlPoints

Thank you ExplorerZ for the link.
    I played around with the case studies in the link, and realised that they
    mainly used RAW files for their edits.

Will there be a major difference if I use JPEGs instead of RAWs for editing?

I shoot in JPEG to minimise file size and the extra work of converting files to JPEG for
    uploading and storage.

i do not know much but as a mac user aperture is much better tha lightroom in turn of database. One database and you can do any things and if you need to do tedious image editing aperture could not afford you can export to photoshop. Once you press export to photoshop they will open the application for you but not in lightroom.

Converting from Nikon RAW files, it is a lot easier to get consistent and quality results from Capture NX than it is with Lightroom/ACR (especially for the novice).

At this current moment, I am leaning towards Capture NX.
    I have a few silly questions though -

a) How will I know which version the retailers will give me? Or this standard issue?
    b) How and where can I get a manual for this software? It does not seem to come with
    a standard tutorial book?

Thank you ExplorerZ for the link.
    I played around with the case studies in the link, and realised that they
    mainly used RAW files for their edits.

Will there be a major difference if I use JPEGs instead of RAWs for editing?

I shoot in JPEG to minimise file size and the extra work of converting files to JPEG for
    uploading and storage.
    U-point works well on JPG as well, but because of the nature of RAW files, certains things like pushing of shadow/highlight might work better.

At this current moment, I am leaning towards Capture NX.
    I have a few silly questions though -

a) How will I know which version the retailers will give me? Or this standard issue?
    b) How and where can I get a manual for this software? It does not seem to come with
    a standard tutorial book?
    a) i think theres nothing to worry about, you can simply download the update of Nikon site, its not very huge iirc
    b) not sure, but as far as concern, NX doesn't have that much function that you really need a book, most probably you juz need to do some read up on white/black point and u-point.

I have hereby been Captured(NX).
    Just got a set, not forgetting the RAM & hardisk upgrade that I did before the NX.
    Whoa. The bill is astonishing...hahaha

Will be playing around with it and will be back for some tutorials for you great guys out there!

I use Lightroom... can do a) and maybe c) if you shoot RAW...