Thread: 100 Things I've Learned About Photography

Default 100 Things I've Learned About Photography

Hi all, would like to share a link that I came across while surfing. I think some of the items on the list, the more experienced photographers have consistently dished out as advice to the fresh and/or would be snappers. Enjoy.

100 Things I've Learned About Photography

btw, if someone has posted before I'm sorry but I did a search beforehand and it didn't seem so.

Default Re: 100 Things I've Learned About Photography

Thanks for sharing that dreamzscape. Great list!

you're welcome the cycle of learning never stops.

Particular favourite of mine.

"39. The best equipment is that what you have now"

helps curb BBB virus

but then again, those doing it for a living I guess sometimes bo pian.

Which are your favourites?

Haha... yah the BBB bug is very much contagious.... he forgot.. Bring mosquito repellent and torch light if necessary when doing night shoot outdoors, the former being more important especially in SG!

Thanks for sharing. There are quite a few gems in that list. But the one that works for me (at least at this moment) is :

Re-check your ISO-Settings. Itís aweful to detect the wrong settings on your screen.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

101. Just shoot and worry about the 100 things you've learned about photography later.

What I could learn from here is an extract from another page on "What have you learned about Photography lately".

6. Just live with the disgruntled comments of family & friends when you really need to take photos, and give it a rest when you donít. (Sister Edith)

How true. I had grumpy looks from my subjects if I were to recompose my photos, so much so it took away the fun in photography. Either I start using a PnS (who cares about quality so long it's a picture taken!) or I start shooting inanimate objects!
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    What I could learn from here is an extract from another page on "What have you learned about Photography lately".

6. Just live with the disgruntled comments of family & friends when you really need to take photos, and give it a rest when you donít. (Sister Edith)

How true. I had grumpy looks from my subjects if I were to recompose my photos, so much so it took away the fun in photography. Either I start using a PnS (who cares about quality so long it's a picture taken!) or I start shooting inanimate objects!
    hehe yeah...the link i dug up from a thread bearing that title on flickr, one of the d40/x groups if i remember correctly. Six-GHz d40/x user too?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamzcape View Post
    hehe yeah...the link i dug up from a thread bearing that title on flickr, one of the d40/x groups if i remember correctly. Six-GHz d40/x user too?
    Old thread new thread, so long it's able to share something, it's a good thread! It seems that all of us have, in some point of time through photography, learnt to be wiser.

Yeah, I had a D40, and loved every minute of it. But I faced the problem of my earlier post. Ok, so I'm not a pro who will instinctively know the required settings under different conditions. I'm still exploring and I still got a long way to learn even though I came from the film era. And there they go - all grumpy, sulking, disgruntled faces... until it became a chore to take a decent photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    Ok, so I'm not a pro who will instinctively know the required settings under different conditions. I'm still exploring and I still got a long way to learn even though I came from the film era. And there they go - all grumpy, sulking, disgruntled faces... until it became a chore to take a decent photograph.

Hmm....I get what you mean. I've thought about such situations before, situations like birthdays in restaurants or even at home. In the end I felt it is the safest to just use a PnS for such occasions, just set auto and shoot. Even recently I mounted my PnS on a tripod, people say wah so pro, and personally i get a little irritated sometimes. Imagine if I use DSLR to take a simple event....haiz don't even wanna think about it, just use PnS.

For me, as selfish as it sounds, my DSLR is for my hobby...and until i get enough confidence in knowing my settings, i'll continue to use my PnS for occasions.

For me, as selfish as it sounds, my DSLR is for my hobby...and until i get enough confidence in knowing my settings, i'll continue to use my PnS for occasions.
    Maybe that's a viable option for me too, having both PnS and dSLR at the same time. But I got to overcome my ownself... I'm a one-camera-man!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    101. Just shoot and worry about the 100 things you've learned about photography later.
    haha..

Before #1: When you aspire to be in the field of photography someday, take good care of your precious eyes! It is those pairs that will see, criticise and appreciate true beauty beyond your expensive lenses. Besides, it's kinda difficult to look through the viewfinder with your spectacle on! haha =P

Now, tryin' to add #102: Since I started taking more shots with an SLR, I began seeing most things around me as subjects, even if I'm not carrying my cam. In short, always bring your cam and shoot more! Who knows, someday you'll be carrying around your cam as often as you carry around your mobile phones... hehe, kidding!

thanks for sharing, a very interesting list

though of course, there are some that are not applicable, like 4: 4. Always take one warm garment more than you actually need with you

wa, singapore already hot enough la

this guy is such a man after my own heart, i love him for 29

29. 10 mm rocks

YES IT DOES AND EVERYONE SHOULD GET A 10MM

i wonder why he never said the obvious fact about how sometimes, the shots you love the most come by easy as pie, and the shots you really go to lengths to achieve might really suck. in some sense, effort does not necessitate results. same goes for life. TIL.
    Last edited by night86mare; 20th November 2007 at 01:06 AM.

glad you guys enjoyed it

i wonder why he never said the obvious fact about how sometimes, the shots you love the most come by easy as pie, and the shots you really go to lengths to achieve might really suck. in some sense, effort does not necessitate results
    I guess this is when you start writing your own 100 Things List

but true...sometimes put in a lot of effort still like crap, then sometimes no effort get very nice results.

somehow sounds like my exams

glad you guys enjoyed it

I guess this is when you start writing your own 100 Things List

but true...sometimes put in a lot of effort still like crap, then sometimes no effort get very nice results.

somehow sounds like my exams
    well i guess in some sense, my list would probably exceed 100 things

but that isn't quite the moral of the story, i think the moral of story is that photography has so mcuh to offer than just pretty pictures. it is a hobby that benefits one who really immerses himself in it, suddenly you realise that there is so much to see, so many ways at looking at something.. effectively the lessons to be learnt are limitless and boundless; and as spastic as this may sound, i think it has made me a better person the money spent on the hobby seems insignificant in comparison. of course this is only if one takes the right attitude, i suppose. cheers

The one and most important one: Never give up and keep trying no matter how bad of a comment you receive from critics.