Thread: How was this winning shot shot?

Default How was this winning shot shot?

http://www.cpoy.org/index.php?s=Winn...ges&yr=62&c=41

any ideas how this shot was lighted?
    I am still scratching my head...

is it simply a top flash pointing down? with the white plate bouncing the light back up?
    Last edited by slaam; 14th November 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Default Re: How was this winning shot shot?

Which pic? There are several on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey View Post
    Which pic? There are several on the page.
    Winning Shot, i.e. Gold.

Usually the winners get Gold, the second place Silver, and the third place Bronze. Guess in photo competitions should be the same...

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    http://www.cpoy.org/index.php?s=Winn...ges&yr=62&c=41
    is it simply a top flash pointing down? with the white plate bouncing the light back up?
    Sound you have it figured, but the top ligh source would have to be very large, and soft for it to be very evenly distributed. Sometimes, the best lighting solutions are the simplest ones, when it gets the job done. Other times you might end up with 5 or 6 or more lights and modifiers just for one shot.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 14th November 2007 at 05:40 PM.

wah seh really so simple?
    but if single light source i was expecting shadows at the tentacles.. can't see leh.. very evenly illumed..

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    wah seh really so simple?
    but if single light source i was expecting shadows at the tentacles.. can't see leh.. very evenly illumed..
    Well that's probably due to the white surface that the source is shined on...probably highly reflective, plus as an earlier poster said, a large source was used....

just my thoughts...

yes, single light source from the top, the plate itself act as a reflector, it would be nice to have two mirrors or sliver cards at both side to give definition highlight on the glass.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

all beri nice shots
    http://www.dreamstime.com/Ionsoon_info
    So much Creativity So much Technology

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    yes, single light source from the top, the plate itself act as a reflector, it would be nice to have two mirrors or sliver cards at both side to give definition highlight on the glass.
    Sometimes there are hints, like where the photographer comes from. In this case, the US. I notice that they tend to like certain studio/still-life lighting techniques, which a lot of photgraphers follow - kinda like an industry standard over there. Only diffrerence is in control like you mentioned and ratios.

Most likely, a soft box with the shot glass sitting on a white translucent acrylic placed on top with a white card at an angle off-centred on top to bounce light back to evenly light the tentacles.

Reason, shot glass is tapered at the bottom, so this feature catches the reflection of the soft box due to it's angle. Also the solid glass base does not reflect light or very little light reflected, as the solid state acts like a lens, only when the light reaches the recess hallow area, this coupled with the curvature of the glass shows up the light reflections clearly. There should be enough light emitted from the softbox to be bounced back to light up the top of the tentacles.

My 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by dankar; 15th November 2007 at 11:45 PM.