Thread: Handling models ...

Default Handling models ...

.. not physically of course.

i just started trying shooting portraits and is now looking for models both tfcd as well as paid ones. need to seek opinions and advices on this matter.

1. if the model is a tfcd one and u don't think she can meet your expectations, how do you break it to them?
    2. somehow u sense the tfcd model is just out to do a shoot for fun n will not put in her commitment to it, would u still shoot her even if she is pretty?
    3. what kind of margin do i have for negotiations for paid shoots?
    4. would judging by what my company pays agencies for shoots be fair?
    5. i had a model up her rates when there are photogs wanted to shoot her. ok. this one quite stupid. just ranting.

don't flame me! i am a newbie.

Default Re: Handling models ...

Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post

i just started trying shooting portraits and is now looking for models both tfcd as well as paid ones. need to seek opinions and advices on this matter.

1. if the model is a tfcd one and u don't think she can meet your expectations, how do you break it to them?
    2. somehow u sense the tfcd model is just out to do a shoot for fun n will not put in her commitment to it, would u still shoot her even if she is pretty?
    5. i had a model up her rates when there are photogs wanted to shoot her. ok. this one quite stupid. just ranting.

1. If the model is really into getting a decent Portfolio, she will be as professional as in a paid shoot. It depends on experience of the Model as well.

2. Sure. The Model is already out there, you are already out there and the camera is already there. Why not? Who knows you might get a good shot out of the fun.

3. Depends on the Model. Ask them their rate or give them a quote.

4. Normally will pay less for freelance Models compared to Agency ones.

5. Everyone has to begin somewhere. It takes time to train a model. So patience. Start slow.

My point of view.

Share a bit from what I know.....main thing is discussion, either TFCD or paid shoot. Through discussion, you will be able to judge the model is pro or not pro, serious or fun, worth or not worth to shoot. Eventually, everything will be in place to answer your questions. Be sincere, honest and specific during discussion.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Share a bit from what I know.....main thing is discussion, either TFCD or paid shoot. Through discussion, you will be able to judge the model is pro or not pro, serious or fun, worth or not worth to shoot. Eventually, everything will be in place to answer your questions. Be sincere, honest and specific during discussion.
    thanks. so if the feeling is not right then don't do it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    1. If the model is really into getting a decent Portfolio, she will be as professional as in a paid shoot. It depends on experience of the Model as well.

2. Sure. The Model is already out there, you are already out there and the camera is already there. Why not? Who knows you might get a good shot out of the fun.

3. Depends on the Model. Ask them their rate or give them a quote.

4. Normally will pay less for freelance Models compared to Agency ones.

5. Everyone has to begin somewhere. It takes time to train a model. So patience. Start slow.

My point of view.
    i just got the rate that my company pays. fair to use tat as a guideline right?

thanks. so if the feeling is not right then don't do it?
    Yap, use your judgement. If the photographer and model does not click, the results does not look good.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Yap, use your judgement. If the photographer and model does not click, the results does not look good.
    thanks again for sharing your experience.

1. your TFCD so strict? need criteria? then you should have screened your model before taking up the job. If cannot make it then change another model BEFORE the shoot. Just tell them honestly "I need someone with really really BIG ... eyes. I'm sorry but you don't fit the bill."

2. Is a pretty face all that matters? Especially fresh "models" who have never done a shoot before of course they are all there for the fun of it to experience what 'posing' is all about.

3. How much do you think you're worth?

4. If your standards are on par with the agencies your company hires.

5. This is not flaming but just a reality check
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

If the photographer and model does not click, the results does not look good.
    If the photographer and the model click, more than sparks can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    If the photographer and the model click, more than sparks can happen.
    Oh No!
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

i just got the rate that my company pays. fair to use tat as a guideline right?
    Yar you can use that guideline.

Oh No!
    Dun worry... that will only happen when Static is in the studio... oops hehe... paiseh I dun mean our forumer Static.

Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    Dun worry... that will only happen when Static is in the studio... oops hehe... paiseh I dun mean our forumer Static.
    Oh? Ba Gua News......
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

To TS, there is a article on this month PhotoVideoi talking about fashion shoot. Very good guidelines to follow. FYI. Cheers!
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    1. your TFCD so strict? need criteria? then you should have screened your model before taking up the job. If cannot make it then change another model BEFORE the shoot. Just tell them honestly "I need someone with really really BIG ... eyes. I'm sorry but you don't fit the bill."

2. Is a pretty face all that matters? Especially fresh "models" who have never done a shoot before of course they are all there for the fun of it to experience what 'posing' is all about.

3. How much do you think you're worth?

4. If your standards are on par with the agencies your company hires.

5. This is not flaming but just a reality check
    1. not really strict but just screening and making sure we meet each other's expectations. its all abt managing expectations.

2. no. thats why i have doubts of shooting just a pretty face.

3. i am worth pretty much zilch. its u that determines how much i am worth.

4. so if i am then i shld be paying what they pay? and if not, i shld be paying lesser?

To TS, there is a article on this month PhotoVideoi talking about fashion shoot. Very good guidelines to follow. FYI. Cheers!
    but the mag quite crappy leh. haha. see can find browsing copy or not.

vince123123
    Guests

Can ask what rates your company is paying? Sometimes companies get fleeced by agencies so unless you let us know, we can't really judge how much or whether it is a good guideline for you to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Can ask what rates your company is paying? Sometimes companies get fleeced by agencies so unless you let us know, we can't really judge how much or whether it is a good guideline for you to follow.
    cover shoot. 480 half day shoot.
    rop. 300.