Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

  1. #1

    Default Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    I have a notebook that comes pre-installed with Vista OS. I like to change it to XP. I read on other forum that I can do that without a charge.

    1st get a winxp pro oem disc, call microsoft and tell them u wanna downgrade to winxp pro there is a option when u install winxp to activate windows through the phone, give them the number as well as the winxp cd key and the cd key behind your laptop will do. You better get the drivers for your lan/wireless then download a lenovo system update it will auto download all the drivers for you. i believe you will hit some errors for the sound card. that needs to be resolved by downloading a patch from microsoft then everything will work
    I have PM the guy who posted that reply on the other forum. While waiting for a response, I am wondering if anyone here tried that before? I am wondering if its true that with a Vista OS lic, I can downgrade/upgrade without additional charge.

    Just trying to make sure this is a official workaround before trying

    Thanks

    PS : Tried calling MS for an answer but no response yet lol

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Lets us know how you fared, and if it is succesful! I want to do the same for my niece laptop once I buy one for her.......(yeah, I am spoiling her)

    Hong Sien

  3. #3

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Jason, what problems are you encountering with the Vista OS?

    HS, buy with XP installed lor ... Dell is shipping notebook with XP.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  4. #4

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Jason, what problems are you encountering with the Vista OS?

    HS, buy with XP installed lor ... Dell is shipping notebook with XP.
    Performance and also drivers issue lor.

    I play games (like COH) on this (Acer) notebook. I have 2GB ram and its running on C2D 2.0ghz . However I get occasional crashes when playing COH online and I never had that problem on XP before.

    At the same time, I am using a external Draft N wireless USB adapter. The Vista driver is still in beta. And the Wireless connection is so unstable. It will drop connection after a while and refused to reconnect no matter how hard i tried. I have to always reboot the system to make it work again.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Jason,

    If you bought the laptop already, please make sure that it XP has the driver to run it. Otherwise, you may not be able to use it to the fullest.

    I have a friend that just bought a new hi end laptop and it is only designed for vista and will not run with XP.

    So verify for the model that you have (or will buy) if it is ok to switch?

    Good luck.

    As for me, I am not a vista lover as I have many problems in my office network due to vista.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ho View Post

    At the same time, I am using a external Draft N wireless USB adapter. The Vista driver is still in beta. And the Wireless connection is so unstable. It will drop connection after a while and refused to reconnect no matter how hard i tried. I have to always reboot the system to make it work again.
    hav you tried the Vista's network diagnostic? it should hav recommended some solution.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    I have a friend that just bought a new hi end laptop and it is only designed for vista and will not run with XP.
    Never know there is this window XP cannot run on too high end model problem? Is it because of drivers availability issues rather than window XP??
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  8. #8

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    Jason,

    If you bought the laptop already, please make sure that it XP has the driver to run it. Otherwise, you may not be able to use it to the fullest.

    I have a friend that just bought a new hi end laptop and it is only designed for vista and will not run with XP.

    So verify for the model that you have (or will buy) if it is ok to switch?

    Good luck.

    As for me, I am not a vista lover as I have many problems in my office network due to vista.
    Yes, i checked with Acer, they do have the XP drivers for this notebook. But the local support team cannot answer my aboved query . They asked me to call Microsoft lol

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Can call up Microsoft Singapore to exchange for XP key, that's what my vendor did on all our new PCs that shipped with Vista, just told them your in-house application cannot run on Vista.

    As for driver, just note down all the devices from your device manager before you downgrade, the key items are graphic, sound and network card and chipset drivers, the rest XP native driver should be able to take care off

  10. #10

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    i downgraded my new thinkpad to XP. had to pay a service charge of 80 bucks tho. didnt mind. i got a full licensed version of xp. the guy at the shop said it was a very common request.

    vista was a major pain in the ass. buggy and sloooooooow. my new thinkpad was twice as fast and had double the memory of my previous one running xp, i ran them side by side and vista was sooo much slower on it.

    i will probably use xp until it is no longer supported by microsoft.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Can call up Microsoft Singapore to exchange for XP key, that's what my vendor did on all our new PCs that shipped with Vista, just told them your in-house application cannot run on Vista.

    As for driver, just note down all the devices from your device manager before you downgrade, the key items are graphic, sound and network card and chipset drivers, the rest XP native driver should be able to take care off
    you could try compatibility mode in vista to run your applications.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    vista is slow and incompatible with most applications even when run under compatibility mode. its a pain especially for office users to use. had some users in the office running it and its too troublesome if you don't have admin access.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ho View Post
    I have a notebook that comes pre-installed with Vista OS. I like to change it to XP. I read on other forum that I can do that without a charge.



    I have PM the guy who posted that reply on the other forum. While waiting for a response, I am wondering if anyone here tried that before? I am wondering if its true that with a Vista OS lic, I can downgrade/upgrade without additional charge.

    Just trying to make sure this is a official workaround before trying

    Thanks

    PS : Tried calling MS for an answer but no response yet lol
    FYI, all Vista Businness Edition can revert back to Win XP Pro. Provide you have a win XP Pro. You can get the key for MS.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Confirm can change from Vista to XP. Just do the normal complain about problems with drivers and so on and they will shipped a new XP for you. Make sure it's the full installation CD.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post
    you could try compatibility mode in vista to run your applications.
    Cannot lah...I have tones of program under Power Builder, Foxpro, IBM personal Comm, IBM Landp.....all went bongkus straight away and we do not even bother attempt to fix

  16. #16

    Default Re: Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Cannot lah...I have tones of program under Power Builder, Foxpro, IBM personal Comm, IBM Landp.....all went bongkus straight away and we do not even bother attempt to fix
    i feel for you man. lucky for me, PhoneTools that came with my modem from 1998 still works.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •