Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

  1. #1

    Default What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Requirements

    Minimum 4mp
    Good noise control
    5fps
    Something big enough for my large hands
    new/2nd hand doesnt matter

    Interests are firstly portraits, events and may try out sports shooting.

    I'm not fussy about having the latest and the greatest, kinda realise some old bodies still out perform the new ones at the same current price point. Havent invested too much in either of the big two systems so still can switch.

  2. #2

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    canon 30D

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluedevil View Post
    Requirements

    Minimum 4mp
    Good noise control
    5fps
    Something big enough for my large hands
    new/2nd hand doesnt matter

    Interests are firstly portraits, events and may try out sports shooting.

    I'm not fussy about having the latest and the greatest, kinda realise some old bodies still out perform the new ones at the same current price point. Havent invested too much in either of the big two systems so still can switch.

    1d mk 1.

    beautiful out of camera jpgs, reasonable noise control. keeper...

  4. #4

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by F5user View Post
    1d mk 1.

    beautiful out of camera jpgs, reasonable noise control. keeper...
    Not ideal if u want to enlarge ur pics to A4 size.Artifacts is present on that size

  5. #5

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluedevil View Post
    Requirements

    Minimum 4mp
    Good noise control
    5fps
    Something big enough for my large hands
    new/2nd hand doesnt matter

    Interests are firstly portraits, events and may try out sports shooting.

    I'm not fussy about having the latest and the greatest, kinda realise some old bodies still out perform the new ones at the same current price point. Havent invested too much in either of the big two systems so still can switch.
    Is 5fps important? Otherwise you have many choices!!

  6. #6

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Is 5fps important? Otherwise you have many choices!!
    5fps would be nice for sports, methinks!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    2nd hand D2H... maybe slightly over your budget. But it's all good...

  8. #8

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    5fps.. gg no re

    if not, honestly, k100d would be sooo sweet

  9. #9

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluedevil View Post
    Requirements

    Minimum 4mp
    Good noise control
    5fps
    Something big enough for my large hands
    new/2nd hand doesnt matter

    Interests are firstly portraits, events and may try out sports shooting.

    I'm not fussy about having the latest and the greatest, kinda realise some old bodies still out perform the new ones at the same current price point. Havent invested too much in either of the big two systems so still can switch.
    Why do you need 5 FPS? I shot a sports event before with a 3 FPS camera and I didn't even use the multi shot function. The trick is to make every shot count, not take "videos".

    Samuel

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecookie View Post
    Not ideal if u want to enlarge ur pics to A4 size.Artifacts is present on that size


    go read up more on that camera or perhaps look at how you pp. I've been working with the mk1 for over 7 years with prints up to 20x24. No artifacts whatsoever, excellent ooc colour, one of the best sensors in the 1 series, and hey.. it's fast.


    Perhaps we come from a different era where we were printing A1s from the .8 mp DCS Mutant F5s, but I really don't want to get into another mp discussion here. Please.... artifacts present at A4 from a 4mp???
    Last edited by F5user; 13th November 2007 at 10:01 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by F5user View Post
    go read up more on that camera or perhaps look at how you pp. I've been working with the mk1 for over 7 years with prints up to 20x24. No artifacts whatsoever, excellent ooc colour, one of the best sensors in the 1 series, and hey.. it's fast.


    Perhaps we come from a different era where we were printing A1s from the .8 mp DCS Mutant F5s, but I really don't want to get into another mp discussion here. Please.... artifacts present at A4 from a 4mp???
    My school(as usual with schs) hired A**m Photos to take photos of the Sec 2 and Sec 4 classes.The formal and informal shots was done with an EOS 1D Mark I and the closeup,a 5D.
    I bought A4 sizes of the photos from the 1D Mark I and its not really sharp with some blur-like artifact(the one when u resize larger too much).

  12. #12

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by alternatve View Post
    Why do you need 5 FPS? I shot a sports event before with a 3 FPS camera and I didn't even use the multi shot function. The trick is to make every shot count, not take "videos".

    Samuel
    Well, when it comes to sports, shooting in burst mode increases your chances of getting "that moment", so a higher fps definitely helps. Digital allows you to shoot as much as you want with little penalty, so might as well make full use of it!

    That said, I'd say go for the 2nd hand 30D (and have a few hundred to spare, maybe for lenses or a batt grip), or up your budget a little and go for a 40D. 5fps, good noise control, slow shutter lag, etc. etc... of course this is just from the Canon camp.

    P.s. dukeblue, you aren't a cyclist...from togoparts, are you?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecookie View Post
    My school(as usual with schs) hired A**m Photos to take photos of the Sec 2 and Sec 4 classes.The formal and informal shots was done with an EOS 1D Mark I and the closeup,a 5D.
    I bought A4 sizes of the photos from the 1D Mark I and its not really sharp with some blur-like artifact(the one when u resize larger too much).


    exactly, just as i thought. Why don't you use it, do your own work with it, and THEN comment on it.

    Ask around for people that clearly know how to work with the camera, and trust me, the raws go well beyond A4.

    btw, there are many more factors other than 4mp etc etc that would cause pictures to be
    "not really sharp with some blur-like artifact" (sic)


    To the TS, the 30d seems to be a good choice now (seeing how ppl are dumping it). Or even a 2nd hand d200 at the moment. =)
    Last edited by F5user; 14th November 2007 at 05:54 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
    Well, when it comes to sports, shooting in burst mode increases your chances of getting "that moment", so a higher fps definitely helps. Digital allows you to shoot as much as you want with little penalty, so might as well make full use of it!

    That said, I'd say go for the 2nd hand 30D (and have a few hundred to spare, maybe for lenses or a batt grip), or up your budget a little and go for a 40D. 5fps, good noise control, slow shutter lag, etc. etc... of course this is just from the Canon camp.

    P.s. dukeblue, you aren't a cyclist...from togoparts, are you?
    yes I am! But recently have to withdraw from the sport due to some hand injury. That's why I've been selling so much of my gear on TGP. Just keeping my singlespeed 26" cruiser. what's your handle in TGP?

  15. #15

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by F5user View Post
    exactly, just as i thought. Why don't you use it, do your own work with it, and THEN comment on it.

    Ask around for people that clearly know how to work with the camera, and trust me, the raws go well beyond A4.

    btw, there are many more factors other than 4mp etc etc that would cause pictures to be
    "not really sharp with some blur-like artifact" (sic)


    To the TS, the 30d seems to be a good choice now (seeing how ppl are dumping it). Or even a 2nd hand d200 at the moment. =)
    Ok.Then i apologise for my lack of experience.Maybe in future than i can comment on when i have the experience
    About the 30D and 20D,yes i have an intended package in mind and about to confirm buying.Thanks for ur advice.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecookie View Post
    Ok.Then i apologise for my lack of experience.Maybe in future than i can comment on when i have the experience
    About the 30D and 20D,yes i have an intended package in mind and about to confirm buying.Thanks for ur advice.
    No worries.... and good luck on your search. =)

    any shops in mind apart from the classifieds section here?

  17. #17

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by F5user View Post
    No worries.... and good luck on your search. =)

    any shops in mind apart from the classifieds section here?
    None so far,i didnt see any shops around my area selling 2nd hand cams.
    I think buying from users are better since they dont jack up the price so much for profit

  18. #18

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    the pentax k10d seems to be really good value. I wonder if 3fps would really affect my shooting. need to try someone's out.

  19. #19

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by alternatve View Post
    Why do you need 5 FPS? I shot a sports event before with a 3 FPS camera and I didn't even use the multi shot function. The trick is to make every shot count, not take "videos".

    Samuel
    Agreed. i will suggests for him to get sony DSLR A100 during this upcoming sony promotions soon to be out of the market even as a 3fps camera it is quite fast. I am able to shoot nice pics with it. Getting a 5fps camera with the price budget he have is hard to find a first hand camera but a second hand.

  20. #20

    Default Re: What DSLR body fits the bill at $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluedevil View Post
    the pentax k10d seems to be really good value. I wonder if 3fps would really affect my shooting. need to try someone's out.
    the k10 is a good buy but i think the af will not be fast enough for your needs. if u gonna shoot sports, canon is the way to go. unless u wanna splurge and get the d300 or d3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •