Thread: differences between the neutral density filters

Default differences between the neutral density filters

i see that neutral density filters has something like neutral density filter 1 , 2, 3 or 4.

what are these 1 2 3 and 4 means? i went to cathay and they have lee filter's neutral density filter but they have neutral density filter 1 and 2. i am actually looking for lee filter's neutral density filter 225 according to the lee filter's online catalogue. but they do not know what i am referring to.

i have also seen some cokin neutral density filters online and they have more than just 1 and 2. cokin ones have 1, 2, 3 and 4! those are so confusing...haha...can someone tell me the differences?

i am needing one to diffuse and spread the light evenly...

thanks!

Default Re: differences between the neutral density filters

Hi vEr5e

The ND filter will reduce the amount of light in all wavelengths ( ideal ) that enters the sensor through the lens. ( decrease the brightness )

The numbers connotate how much light the filter will be able to reduce the amount of light.
    The 1 / 2 / 3 ( etc ) will represent reducing by 1 / 2 / 3 .. stops accordingly. A 3 stop filter will darken the scene more than a 1 stop. There are some that will even darken past 8 stops.

The filter allows you to use a larger aperture for a given shutter speed, or alternatively, a slower shutter speed for a given aperture. An example of an application is to prolong exposure time creating ethereal silky running water, or taking pictures of buildings / landscape without including prominent moving subjects such as humans for example, or having the need to shoot large aperture under brighter lightings.

It does not help to diffuse or spread the light in anyway.
    Perhaps you might like to give us more details on how you would like the filter to assist you in photo taking

Peace
    Ryan

hi ryan,

thanks. the ND filter is a lens filter right? the filters i am referring to are the kind of large piece of "plastic sheet" kind of material that are used in studios for lighting. are those called filters as well?
    here's the link to the lee filter's catalogue http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/p...46DD55850EE2A/ there, you can see the 225 neutral density filter i am referring to.

i am actually using it not just for photography, but also other purposes. but my main purpose is to spread the light so that there will be not hotspots of light being shone at just one place.
    i am also looking for another kind call soft silver reflector at http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/p...46DD5F7285325/ do this one diffuses light?

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by vEr5e View Post
    hi ryan,

thanks. the ND filter is a lens filter right? the filters i am referring to are the kind of large piece of "plastic sheet" kind of material that are used in studios for lighting. are those called filters as well?
    here's the link to the lee filter's catalogue http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/p...46DD55850EE2A/ there, you can see the 225 neutral density filter i am referring to.

i am actually using it not just for photography, but also other purposes. but my main purpose is to spread the light so that there will be not hotspots of light being shone at just one place.
    i am also looking for another kind call soft silver reflector at http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/p...46DD5F7285325/ do this one diffuses light?

thanks again.
    The link you provided is not ND filters. They are coloured diffusion filters for lighting, not photographic filters.

ND filters for photography, they are named like ND2, ND4, ND8. It is usually in the multiples of 2. ND2 cuts the light by 1/2 which is 1-stop. ND4 cuts the light by 1/4 which is 2 stops and ND8 1/8 (3 stops), etc.

BTW, Lee filters uses 0.3ND, 0.6ND,... type notation (filter optical density). ND2 = 0.3ND, ND4 = 0.6ND, ND8 = 0.9ND,...

There are also ND graduated filters...

As for the other numbering... I suspect that they are Lee's product number and may not have additional meaning to it.

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 13th November 2007 at 09:00 AM.

i don't think he is looking for filters to screw on to the cam. i think he is looking for something to screw on to the studio flash/lighting.

from what i understand >
    Newbie with a D80 Kit

freezemaster is right. those are the kind i am looking for. i think i should say filter sheets so that it sounds more concise. haha...

Quote Originally Posted by vEr5e View Post
    freezemaster is right. those are the kind i am looking for. i think i should say filter sheets so that it sounds more concise. haha...
    I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    As for the other numbering... I suspect that they are Lee's product number and may not have additional meaning to it.

BC
    BTW, the 225 neutral density frost filter that you mentioned is a 0.6ND. I explained the 0.6ND part above.

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 14th November 2007 at 02:05 PM.