Thread: Some basic techniques questions

Default Some basic techniques questions

Hi

I m using a Canon Powershot A420, 4 mega pixel camera

I m a noob at taking photos and would like to ask if the resolution of 4 mega pixels is enough for me to take detailed pics of say earrings or small items to see the details?

Also how do I make the background look very nice, clean and bright? (u know pics like Lee Hwa Jewellery showcasing the diamond earrings with nice white back grounds with sparkles and stuff like that...
    I read somewhere last time it is quite complicated as u need to have 2 or 3 pieces of white cardboard and have to take the pic in a very dark room.

Help appreciated.

Default Re: Some basic techniques questions

Quote Originally Posted by granzon View Post
    Hi

I m a noob at taking photos and would like to ask if the resolution of 4 mega pixels is enough for me to take detailed pics of say earrings or small items to see the details?

Also how do I make the background look very nice, clean and bright? (u know pics like Lee Hwa Jewellery showcasing the diamond earrings with nice white back grounds with sparkles and stuff like that...
    I read somewhere last time it is quite complicated as u need to have 2 or 3 pieces of white cardboard and have to take the pic in a very dark room.

Help appreciated.
    Generally, if viewing on screen (not delibrately doing 100% crops to look for details) 4 MP should be good. If printing, u might want to try something of higher res. Of course, it will also depends on the quality of the output from ur camera. Poor output, high res also no use.

Not sure which ad u talking about. But personally, i prefer using product tents and good lightings for this kinda shots. Do some search online and you should see some good resources.

I recommend u visit a thread started by one of the member here. It contains a lot of useful info. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=245883

Hope this helps.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Quote Originally Posted by granzon View Post
    Hi

Help appreciated.
    Nice clean and bright backgrounds? The key is in the lighting...

You'd need good powerful lighting to get the whole BG lit up nicely and also the subject. Try to read up some on high-key lighting... this is the effect you're after.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

You can try to use the tripod + high f stop (around f.7 to 9) to achieve the effect for night shooting.