Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

  1. #21

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Arcanic~ View Post
    I have once seated outside the taxi stand at marina square (outside the 7-11) for 1hr and 20mins while waiting for a cab during a Friday evening around 6-7plus...

    All those around me are either grumbling or picking up their mobiles to book for a cab... of course i was one of those grumbling...

    and all the while, i keep seeing taxi which are totally empty with e green sign zooming pass the taxi stand and not turning in despite the long queue...

    I sure hope this new system works...
    With the new system, the green sign taxi will not pass by that area

    They divert and stay put hidden somewhere.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    They should fine em, fire em and ban em from driving taxis or buses for life. In time, only good taxi drivers would be left. Way too many taxi drivers on the road anyway.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    With the new system, the green sign taxi will not pass by that area

    They divert and stay put hidden somewhere.


    *note to self* do not take cab during peak period at city area...

  4. #24

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    Another STUPID idea that hatched from the ivory towers of LTA ... no hailing of taxi, getting on and off taxi in the CBD ... what will they think of next? Prescribed routes taxi can take?

    The beauty of a taxi and getting on and off wherever .......
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  5. #25

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Another STUPID idea that hatched from the ivory towers of LTA ... no hailing of taxi, getting on and off taxi in the CBD ... what will they think of next? Prescribed routes taxi can take?

    The beauty of a taxi and getting on and off wherever .......
    the more affected one are
    - people who carry heavy equipment/items/baby
    - disabled/old people
    - everyone during raining day
    Last edited by megaweb; 13th November 2007 at 04:51 PM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  6. #26

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    I bet you the great big idea was another "wet"dreams from one of the esteemed scholar.

    To combat the problem, it very easy. Reduced the $4 surcharge to $2 when calling for a taxi. Then the taxi is less inclined to troll and wait for a call job and more likely to pick up on the street.

    The other problem is taxi driver do not want to pay ERP to enter controlled area. So, I propose that if and when a taxi do not have a fare, then they do not have to pay ERP so that they will freely enter the CBD at 6:30pm to pick up/service the customer demands.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  7. #27

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    luckily i drive.. but.. on the few occassions recently trying to catch taxi in raffles place in the evenng.. can really vomit blood. after 45 mins of trying to call for one, also no luck. .. in the end had to call a friend to give me a lift.

    you would think.. with all the brains we had in government, that they could come up wiht a workable solution to have decent suppl of taxis at peak times in CBD area... i mean heck, even in relatively poorly developed countries i dun ever have problem flagging a cab.

  8. #28
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    All the taxi drivers are Singaporean. Singaporean taxi drivers giving problems to Singaporean commuters.

    This taxi problem is being looked at finally because of the F1 in 2008. There'll be a lot of press people around and it'll be in the foreign magazine if the Singapore taxi service is bad.

    If you look at the revised fine, it's too little at $500 while the fine for littering is $1000.
    Last edited by xtemujin; 14th November 2007 at 07:18 AM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I bet you the great big idea was another "wet"dreams from one of the esteemed scholar.

    To combat the problem, it very easy. Reduced the $4 surcharge to $2 when calling for a taxi. Then the taxi is less inclined to troll and wait for a call job and more likely to pick up on the street.

    The other problem is taxi driver do not want to pay ERP to enter controlled area. So, I propose that if and when a taxi do not have a fare, then they do not have to pay ERP so that they will freely enter the CBD at 6:30pm to pick up/service the customer demands.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    luckily i drive.. but.. on the few occassions recently trying to catch taxi in raffles place in the evenng.. can really vomit blood. after 45 mins of trying to call for one, also no luck. .. in the end had to call a friend to give me a lift.

    you would think.. with all the brains we had in government, that they could come up wiht a workable solution to have decent suppl of taxis at peak times in CBD area... i mean heck, even in relatively poorly developed countries i dun ever have problem flagging a cab.
    That make you imagine why our government pay so much for the top scholar for their "quality" input.

    Seriously, I do think the policy maker should go to try out the public transport services during peak hour "anonymously" to experience the pain, rather than official show up for "wayang" only.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  10. #30

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    LTA sees Bus and Cabs as private vehicles from private companies. They don't really consider them as public transport. Anyway, the ERP gantries are sprouting all over the island, irregardless of the area. Imagine the tax collected from such gantries daily, it generates million of dollars in revenue for the gov ! Who would want to sacrifice the golden egg-laying goose?

    Letting public transport in and out without paying fees is considered subsidising, that's not very fair to other private users! That's the classic argument, but sadly that does not solve any problem if they want to stick to their no-bending rules. As one of the cabby I talked to said, they have to pay every time they pass the ERP, unlike in the past when they can just pay one fee and enter the "restricted area" limitless times during the day. With more and more ERP evolving around the island, they have to carefully choose & pick the route they travel.

    Cabs will continue to avoid ERP areas; nobody doing business will want to incur extra cost, that's common sense.

    The Original idea of reducing traffic congestion has now turned into a money making machine. That's very good for a business, but not so good for the people of the country.

  11. #31

    Default Re: New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

    aiyo dun worry ur not alone. I have waited for 2 hrs + at raffles city shopping center in the past(when the problem was more rampant).
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •