Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why People Say Nice!

Default Re: Why People Say Nice!

always say "nice"

cost me nothing, but make more friends and support. quid pro quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    2) They want to leech it
    This really perks me up.

So instead of "Nice!" it should be "Leech-worthy!"

Lots of times I find myself wanting of opinions, after all, it is in human nature to be appreciated. Thus, we post for people to look at it, hoping to either get some praise or feedbacks to help us retry the scene and shot again, this time for the better. Just that sometimes, an image is shared with 1000+ views yet no replies. How to improve?!?
    tSkye shoots whatever comes tSkye's way... | 5D2, 1224, 16FE, 35L, 1.4xTC, 300L

Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    This really perks me up.

So instead of "Nice!" it should be "Leech-worthy!"

Lots of times I find myself wanting of opinions, after all, it is in human nature to be appreciated. Thus, we post for people to look at it, hoping to either get some praise or feedbacks to help us retry the scene and shot again, this time for the better. Just that sometimes, an image is shared with 1000+ views yet no replies. How to improve?!?
    Picture is too @#$!@#$ good, no room for improvement..

or...

Picture is too @#@$@#$ abstract, I can't understand it but it's COOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    Something to combat the Monday Blues....

Why people say nice when commenting about a photo!

1) It appeals to them
    2) They want to leech it
    3) They want to shoot like that
    4) Their technical abilities doesn't allow that
    5) They have no idea how else to contribute knowing the shot is so good and their knowledge is so little and thus, unable to give other feedback
    Monday blues not Monthly Blues?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Exam blues for me.... No confidence for my calculus paper tmr...

Member/Tangshooter

"Nice" blues...
    コミュニケーションは私たちの障壁です | Flickr

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Monthly blues? not red?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

encouragement?
    Last edited by JerrySH; 12th November 2007 at 01:38 PM.
    Canon 400D / Rebel XTi Gripped EFS 17-85mm / 50mm f/1.8
    http://jerryyang.deviantart.com

sweet

Song! 爽!

If noone does this act of grace, the original poster will become very sad: "Wah, no comments at all? So bad leh?"

I say "Nice" when I've got nothing much to say.

Serious.

because the photo look nice
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Something to combat the Monday Blues....

1) It appeals to them
    2) They want to leech it
    3) They want to shoot like that
    4) Their technical abilities doesn't allow that
    5) They have no idea how else to contribute knowing the shot is so good and their knowledge is so little and thus, unable to give other feedback
    Reason:

1. We see them and find them really very nice.
    2. We see them and find them fairly nice, but don't know what's wrong or where to improve.
    3. We see them and find them lousy or not our taste, but still praise them because they are old birds/pros/friends, just to show respect. (Don't tell me you didn't do that.)
    4. We see them and have a lot to comment about, but too lazy to type.

It's humorous to hear people say that some people give short comments or 'nice' just to chalk up log hits.
    Until a method has been invented to determine the authenticity of a comment, I think this point is weak and does not stand.

Everyone is different, and of course everyone answers differently, because each of us has a different character and moral code.
    Some are straightforward; some are nicer, some are okay, etc. - you name it, there are lots of trees in a forest, so you have different kinds of birds.
    How do birds live in harmony? Observe etiquette and protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    If noone does this act of grace, the original poster will become very sad: "Wah, no comments at all? So bad leh?"
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Okie let me play devil advocate here.....

I look at "act of grace" as being bad. What would motivate a person passionate enough to want to be better at what he/she do. To raise their bar another notch. If you get no respond from your photo or you get critized or even unfair review. You can do one of two things, you can stop posting anymore and save yourself some heartache or if you do believe in your ability to get better, keep posting and keep working to improve till you get a respond.

If we want to encourage giving positive comment only and not the other stuff you don't like to hear...chances are you will never improve as too many people out there would with the act of grace or due to politeness will never tell you the truth then you will fail to reach new heights or even the minimum of standard.

Now that is speaking on the basis that you the photo poster REALLY am posting as you want to improve and not just out here to get praises or justify some ego thingy. And no I am not saying majority are like that but really...isn't that why we post photos? To learn to be better. To raise the bar. Your bar.

I look at it this way, in one way or another, whether you are just starting out or already quite an experienced photographer, there will always be room for improvement...if you are really keen heheh

I always believe in this ideal which is "the solution to my weakness and success I trust would usually be words coming from my enemies then my close friends"

So help your friends ...do more then say "nice" heh. Better they be sad then not improve. Push them to get better lah. And if it is nice...tell them too. That way they know where they are doing right and that they should move on to area that needs work.

well that just one way of looking at it.

This is what happen when you eat late lunch at the office and itchy fingers heheh...
    Last edited by sammy888; 12th November 2007 at 04:03 PM.

But ask yourself first: Can an oldbird/pro tahan a harsh comment from a newbie?
    No, very very few. The same thing goes to newbirds and a lot of people. Why be so harsh when you can speak kindly? No point, right? Do you talk like that when you are outside socializing? Then why speak so harshly? Is it because of an imbalanced mind due to stress where you have to behave politely while at work and you think you can blow your heart's out on the net because nobody knows nobody on the Internet?

Yes, your point is valid. I respect your view. I view it from another point. But I always say this to some CSer friends: if CS were Singapore, there would be riots and fights everyday.

Anyway, the world in CS is like that: if a newbie criticizes an old bird's work, he is considered rude, no matter how polite he is. Then if an old bird criticizes a newbie's work, the newbie is expected to take it, no matter how impolite the senior is. Well, we can only find this in CS. And I never see this type of thread in photo.net and other famous photography sites. Weird place it is, but I do have a lot of nice friends from CS, which I think is a relief.

how about something just a little more technical?
    haha

when you look at a nice picture, colour harmony, good contrast, semantics all are possible trigger points of pleasure. you see a good picture (evolutionary theorists say that we appreciate best those art that mimic basic human needs like beautiful people and landscape), your brain naturally reacts positively to "encourage" you, whether to seek it or to enjoy it.

for just a little illustration, semantics: the same picture might mean different thing to 2 persons, and for the one who had a more pleasant experience with a certain landscape (eg a calm lake)would love the picture more as the pleasant sensory experience is bolstered by more activation of pleasure via memory cues. [i.e. senses + memory = more pleasure]

well... for some of us who just say "nice", maybe we just have the sensory experience.

or can't say why we like it so much because we are not particularly aware that a certain memory was very pleasing (memory that was forgotten or unconsciously encoded).
    but i'm sure there are some where the memory reinforcement are clear: "it's so nice, reminds me of when i was young and carefree"

and sometimes, some of us are not so linguistically gifted. cannot help mah. haha!!! (or simply didn't like learning prose when we were young).

BUT for sure, the person identifies with your pic!
    Last edited by GaoZi; 12th November 2007 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    No, very very few. The same thing goes to newbirds and a lot of people. Why be so harsh when you can speak kindly? No point, right? Do you talk like that when you are outside socializing? Then why speak so harshly? Is it because of an imbalanced mind due to stress where you have to behave politely while at work and you think you can blow your heart's out on the net because nobody knows nobody on the Internet?

Yes, your point is valid. I respect your view. I view it from another point. But I always say this to some CSer friends: if CS were Singapore, there would be riots and fights everyday.

Anyway, the world in CS is like that: if a newbie criticizes an old bird's work, he is considered rude, no matter how polite he is. Then if an old bird criticizes a newbie's work, the newbie is expected to take it, no matter how impolite the senior is. Well, we can only find this in CS. And I never see this type of thread in photo.net and other famous photography sites. Weird place it is, but I do have a lot of nice friends from CS, which I think is a relief.
    heheh you have good points there and that is the sad fact that we have seen happen time and again lah. As I say, I am expressing from one point of view but it's non exclusive and we all can see many difference course it can take.

I know I would carry through on my point even in real life. If you ask...I will tell it like it is. Don't want to hear it? Don't ask. Adding abit of tact would help lah heheheh. But it is also true sometime even with tact, it can still sting some people's ego.

We should approach it from the point that we "agree to disagree" whether we are the poster our photos and the people that partake in making comments. Why not? the critic themsleves might have something to learn too. Photography is subjective after all and new ways are always being push into fresh new directions. If the old bird can't accept it or realise what he/she is missing? well...they are the poorer for it.
    Last edited by sammy888; 12th November 2007 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carnage3630 View Post
    6) just to upz their postings
    up post count for what

got prize meh

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post

it depends on the sort of "old bird" you are talking about

i don't know, me, i find that sometimes there are "old birds" which don't seem to be "old birds" at all. "old bird" in name, "old bird" by mouth.. but photos not "old bird"

i hope no one whacks me for this

it is my firm belief that a true "old bird" would find it very hard to be whacked, and if he is whacked, he would be able to take the comments well and see how everyone's viewpoint on his photo, so long as it is with good intent, helps him to learn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast