Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Selling Prints

  1. #1

    Default Selling Prints

    Need some help here. Recently, I received quite a number of emails from people who saw my gallery and wanted to purchase prints of my photos at A2/A3 sizes. How much should I charge them?
    Last edited by Klose; 12th November 2007 at 07:18 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    I would sell a mounted A3 print for $150 to $200 and an A2 print for $250 - $350

  3. #3

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Quote Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
    I would sell a mounted A3 print for $150 to $200 and an A2 print for $250 - $350
    Would an unmounted A3 @ $150 with P&P via courier service be reasonable?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Sounds pretty reasonable to me!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    How much you should charge depends on a number of things - the purpose for which the print will be used, will be for exclusive use, will it be a limited number of prints, will it be reproduced elsewhere, will it be used for other commercial purposes????

  6. #6

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey View Post
    How much you should charge depends on a number of things - the purpose for which the print will be used, will be for exclusive use, will it be a limited number of prints, will it be reproduced elsewhere, will it be used for other commercial purposes????
    Just for personal collection sake and no commercial use
    Last edited by Klose; 12th November 2007 at 09:51 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    well, u have to make sure that it's make known to the buyer and he's agreeable to it. It's easy to scan your picture and use for other purposes so long as it's A4 or bigger.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    well, u have to make sure that it's make known to the buyer and he's agreeable to it. It's easy to scan your picture and use for other purposes so long as it's A4 or bigger.
    What if I offer to cold laminate it?

    I think it it's harder to get it scanned that way, am I right?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    You can make it as difficult as you like, it all depends on how much its worth to them to make the copy.

    The only real protection you have is to ensure they sign a bill of sale including terms of the allowed usage of the image.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey View Post
    You can make it as difficult as you like, it all depends on how much its worth to them to make the copy.

    The only real protection you have is to ensure they sign a bill of sale including terms of the allowed usage of the image.
    What if they're overseas? What's a good substitute for a bill of sale?

  11. #11
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Currently, Singapore but hope
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Interlecture Property Rights is covered by international copyright laws. It applies anyway who recognised the International Court of Justice.

    To better protect yourself, charge them very much higher to justify if you cannot find anymeans to protect your pix from abuse.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Quote Originally Posted by tommon View Post
    Interlecture Property Rights is covered by international copyright laws. It applies anyway who recognised the International Court of Justice.

    To better protect yourself, charge them very much higher to justify if you cannot find anymeans to protect your pix from abuse.
    Thanks.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    hmmm... they wanna buy your portraits? would you charge me any lesser here? =\
    I Love You :)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Quote Originally Posted by Koelsch View Post
    hmmm... they wanna buy your portraits? would you charge me any lesser here? =\
    Which one do you want. Msn me to discuss I will be flying back to Singapore next Saturday.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey View Post
    How much you should charge depends on a number of things - the purpose for which the print will be used, will be for exclusive use, will it be a limited number of prints, will it be reproduced elsewhere, will it be used for other commercial purposes????
    That would be a dangerous precedent. Almost like the music industry.

    1st, no one has any obligation to tell you what he's going to do with your print after he purchases it.

    2nd, even if he does, what he tells you may not be true, or he may change his mind.

    3rd, you have no legal means of enforcing the specific use. Unless you want to license your print only for a specific use, just like the music industry, eg where CD's you buy are licensed only for personal use.

    Do you intend to sell your prints with a licensing agreement?

    Copyright law already protects your intellectual property rights, eg. illegal copying.

    The business of selling prints, esp. fine art limited edition prints, is already difficult enough. If someone pays for your print, they should be able to have "quiet and peaceful" enjoyment. Whether they want to put the print in their house, office or gallery is not a concern of yours. Indeed, I would not buy any print where the author wants me to sign a licensing agreement on restriction of use.

    The price of your print should be what is fair for you, taking into consideration your costs and your profits. Whether the print is sold to a prince or a pauper, and how the buyer uses the print, should not change your price. If the buyer made money reselling your print or from exhibiting your print, so be it.

    I hope this industry does not create another COMPASS-like organisation that is so money-grabbing it goes after bars and pubs for royalties when songs are performed. Even 7th-month getai organisers are not spared.

    If you went to a buy a house, would you be happy to know that the price depends on how you are going to use it? Would you want to pay more if the developer knew you were getting rental income? Would you feel it's fair for the developer to get a cut of your resale price if the property appreciates after 5 years or 10 years?

    Think about it.
    Last edited by waileong; 16th November 2007 at 12:30 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    That would be a dangerous precedent. Almost like the music industry.

    1st, no one has any obligation to tell you what he's going to do with your print after he purchases it.

    2nd, even if he does, what he tells you may not be true, or he may change his mind.

    3rd, you have no legal means of enforcing the specific use. Unless you want to license your print only for a specific use, just like the music industry, eg where CD's you buy are licensed only for personal use.

    Do you intend to sell your prints with a licensing agreement?

    Copyright law already protects your intellectual property rights, eg. illegal copying.

    The business of selling prints, esp. fine art limited edition prints, is already difficult enough. If someone pays for your print, they should be able to have "quiet and peaceful" enjoyment. Whether they want to put the print in their house, office or gallery is not a concern of yours. Indeed, I would not buy any print where the author wants me to sign a licensing agreement on restriction of use.

    The price of your print should be what is fair for you, taking into consideration your costs and your profits. Whether the print is sold to a prince or a pauper, and how the buyer uses the print, should not change your price. If the buyer made money reselling your print or from exhibiting your print, so be it.

    I hope this industry does not create another COMPASS-like organisation that is so money-grabbing it goes after bars and pubs for royalties when songs are performed. Even 7th-month getai organisers are not spared.

    If you went to a buy a house, would you be happy to know that the price depends on how you are going to use it? Would you want to pay more if the developer knew you were getting rental income? Would you feel it's fair for the developer to get a cut of your resale price if the property appreciates after 5 years or 10 years?

    Think about it.
    Thanks for your views. I have liaised with the potential buyer and we have come to an agreement with the pricing

  17. #17

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    I have another request for a 30 * 40 print. Where's the most reasonable place I can print this?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    I guess it depends on how much you value your work.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    if you plan to go the art market route with this, you have to seriously consider creating a limited edition of your prints (which probably means you can't create more copies of that picture after that unless previously stated), and deciding what size/sizes you want to release your editions as. Most people release different sized and numbered editions.
    And then sign at the back of each piece to certify the edition number

    unless you prefer to make a quick buck off each piece of your work in which you can price it low enough and sell as many copies as you want....as long as your client doesn't mind.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Selling Prints

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    if you plan to go the art market route with this, you have to seriously consider creating a limited edition of your prints (which probably means you can't create more copies of that picture after that unless previously stated), and deciding what size/sizes you want to release your editions as. Most people release different sized and numbered editions.
    And then sign at the back of each piece to certify the edition number

    unless you prefer to make a quick buck off each piece of your work in which you can price it low enough and sell as many copies as you want....as long as your client doesn't mind.
    Thanks for the insight. I guess I will be limiting this image to a print run of 10. Already have 5 orders for it

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •