Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: typical shutter speed in studio

  1. #1

    Default typical shutter speed in studio

    Hi Guys,

    May I ask those who have experience in shooting under studio lighting what's the typical shutter speed you shoot at? Pls mention the ISO, shutter and aperture combination. Reason I asked is I'm trying setup a primitive studio in my flat to photograph my kids but my shutter speed at ISO 800, F4 is only around 1/20 to 1/40 which makes it difficult to capture the kids without motion blur.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    juz wondering, why do you even want to maintain the same setting even with those studio light on? .

  3. #3

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    juz wondering, why do you even want to maintain the same setting even with those studio light on? .
    bro, i don't want to maintain the same setting.. i know nuts about the studio lighting so i'm wondering if it's in a real studio if you can get higher shutter speed because of good lighting.

  4. #4
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    the basic rule is still dependent on your handheld steadiness to the focal length and magnitude/speed of subject motion. it is difficult to achieve a short shutter duration if it is dark but if you got good lighting in the studio, then shutter speed should be a variable, not a limitation.

    the settings depend on what you want to achieve in terms of exposure, depth of field or any subject motion, then you try to setup the lighting to enable that settings to proceed, not the other way round.

    i'm going by first principles. frankly i also know nuts about studio setup....

  5. #5
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    iso usually use lowest i.e. 100 or 200
    shutter speed usually use 1/125-1/60
    aperture depends on ur strobe setting and distance from subject
    usually use lightmeter to check aperture to set
    but can oso use formula:

    GN = distance f-number

    GN on spec. sheet or manual is usually for full power..u have to use some formula to get equivalent GN for 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 power..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    1,507

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    When you use studio lights, normally you shoot at a fixed shutter speed, and you adjust your aperture. The shutter speed will be typically limited by your camera's x-sync speed (1/125s for some cameras, 1/250s for some cameras, 1/500s for some).. Of course you can use a slower shutter speed than the x-sync speed depending the effect you want to achieve.

    You will normally shoot in Manual mode in studio. Say you fix your iso at iso200, and shutter speed at 1/125s, and you set an output for your studio lights (eg. 1/8 of the total light output). You then set an aperture size to get a correct exposure. If you want to increase the aperture size for whatever reasons, you lower the light output. If you want to decrease the aperture size, you can increase the light output.
    Last edited by rOnGrEn; 11th November 2007 at 11:30 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Thanks guys Looks like I need to put better lighting then.

  8. #8

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    I typically shoot at 1/250th ISO 100 f8-f11

  9. #9

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Hi Guys,

    May I ask those who have experience in shooting under studio lighting what's the typical shutter speed you shoot at? Pls mention the ISO, shutter and aperture combination. Reason I asked is I'm trying setup a primitive studio in my flat to photograph my kids but my shutter speed at ISO 800, F4 is only around 1/20 to 1/40 which makes it difficult to capture the kids without motion blur.

    Thanks.
    Shooting at ISO 800, f/4 and 1/20 tells me that your lights are just not powerful enough to shoot people, particularily kids.

  10. #10

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
    I typically shoot at 1/250th ISO 100 f8-f11
    Again I know nuts about studio lights but looks like the lighting is very powerful to get those settings. I think even outside on overcast day I will have a hard time getting those values.

    Thanks for the input.

  11. #11
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Again I know nuts about studio lights but looks like the lighting is very powerful to get those settings. I think even outside on overcast day I will have a hard time getting those values.

    Thanks for the input.
    May i noe wat strobes/studio light are u using?

    ISO 800, f/4 and 1/20 seems like ur strobes/studio light not fired..
    When using stobes/studio light u have to use Manual mode..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  12. #12

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    May i noe wat strobes/studio light are u using?

    ISO 800, f/4 and 1/20 seems like ur strobes/studio light not fired..
    When using stobes/studio light u have to use Manual mode..
    I'm using 8 pieces of those small 50w halogen bulbs + 6 pieces of 10w warm light installed in my flat. But still can't get a decent lighting to have a faster shutter. I'm reading around and looks like I need those flood lights (100w) directed to the subjects. I can't afford to buy those studio lights like photoflex so I'll DIY it.

  13. #13

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    I suggest just getting 2-3 "normal" flashes for your camera and firing them in a remote trigger fashion. I know I can easily do this on my A700, firing 3 56AM flashes in one go.
    Alpha

  14. #14
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    We normally use the highest flash sync speed on manual mode. The reason why your experiences differ is because when we talk about highest flash sycn, we are using studio flashes.

    Your setup is more akin to a studio continuous light settings - hence you may or may not be able to get the highest sync speed that everyone is referring to. For continuous light, you need quite bright before it can work.

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    I'm using 8 pieces of those small 50w halogen bulbs + 6 pieces of 10w warm light installed in my flat. But still can't get a decent lighting to have a faster shutter. I'm reading around and looks like I need those flood lights (100w) directed to the subjects. I can't afford to buy those studio lights like photoflex so I'll DIY it.

  15. #15
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    I'm using 8 pieces of those small 50w halogen bulbs + 6 pieces of 10w warm light installed in my flat. But still can't get a decent lighting to have a faster shutter. I'm reading around and looks like I need those flood lights (100w) directed to the subjects. I can't afford to buy those studio lights like photoflex so I'll DIY it.
    confirm not enuff..

    maybe u want to try DIY strobe kits? go sim lim tower have a look..i remember i saw some strobes hobby kits there..provided u noe how to use a soldering iron..

    another option is to purchase another 1-2 cheapo slave flash..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  16. #16

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    confirm not enuff..

    maybe u want to try DIY strobe kits? go sim lim tower have a look..i remember i saw some strobes hobby kits there..provided u noe how to use a soldering iron..

    another option is to purchase another 1-2 cheapo slave flash..
    100 watts not enuff????

    I thinking of following the one in http://www.diyphotography.net/homest...d-for-hotlight

    slave flash? but it won't solve the problem of motion blur right?

  17. #17
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    100 watts not enuff????

    I thinking of following the one in http://www.diyphotography.net/homest...d-for-hotlight

    slave flash? but it won't solve the problem of motion blur right?
    if ur 100w is from a single source of light..

    haha..floodlight!

    ya..u r right..flash is limited by sync speed..probably ~1/250-1/125 which is still not fast enuff for a very active kid..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  18. #18
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    100 watts not enuff????

    I thinking of following the one in http://www.diyphotography.net/homest...d-for-hotlight

    slave flash? but it won't solve the problem of motion blur right?
    Slave flash will give you more lighting power and at a higher shutter speed, so you may get around the motion blur issue. Now, how many flashes, that's another question,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  19. #19

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by rOnGrEn View Post
    When you use studio lights, normally you shoot at a fixed shutter speed, and you adjust your aperture. The shutter speed will be typically limited by your camera's x-sync speed (1/125s for some cameras, 1/250s for some cameras, 1/500s for some).. Of course you can use a slower shutter speed than the x-sync speed depending the effect you want to achieve.

    You will normally shoot in Manual mode in studio. Say you fix your iso at iso200, and shutter speed at 1/125s, and you set an output for your studio lights (eg. 1/8 of the total light output). You then set an aperture size to get a correct exposure. If you want to increase the aperture size for whatever reasons, you lower the light output. If you want to decrease the aperture size, you can increase the light output.

    Interesting topic. I'm also a beginner. Is it that if i need more DOF, I would use a higher aperture value (example, f8 instead of f4)? Am I correct in this?


  20. #20

    Default Re: typical shutter speed in studio

    forget about floodlights
    you need about 650w - 1000w with a fresnel to get a decent exposure...this is before you filter the light to get it balanced for daylight

    get strobe lights instead (you can try first with a jinbei)
    strobe lights are not dependent on the shutter speed because they fire off a lot of light in a fraction of a second (faster than the sync speeds on most cameras)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •