Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Help with deciding flash.

  1. #21

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Pitching of favourite brands and specific models without completely understanding the seeker's needs.... again.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Pitching of favourite brands and specific models without completely understanding the seeker's needs.... again.
    It's not only on needs, but what the flash can do for u and durability as well.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    It's ok if you want to buy either but make sure you know what you're buying in to....

    Buy the Sigma because it is cheap, don't buy it because it is "better than" / "as good as" the 580EXII because it definitely is not....

    Buy the Canon for the build, more reliable flash exposure, guaranteed compatability with future canon bodies and much better service centre....

    the Pros of the canon also happen to be the opposite of the cons of the sigma.....

  4. #24

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Btw, a guide number of 53 does not mean the flash can reach something 53 metres away.... the distance = GN / aperture... so to reach 53 metres at iso 100 you need a f1.0 lens.... and not any f1.0 lens, the flash only has a GN of 53 when your lens focal length is 105mm or greater.... try finding a 105 f1.0 lens....

  5. #25

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    It's ok if you want to buy either but make sure you know what you're buying in to....

    Buy the Sigma because it is cheap, don't buy it because it is "better than" / "as good as" the 580EXII because it definitely is not....

    Buy the Canon for the build, more reliable flash exposure, guaranteed compatability with future canon bodies and much better service centre....

    the Pros of the canon also happen to be the opposite of the cons of the sigma.....
    Hey zj2000, you really help alot! Thanks! Now i know what to get =D Thanks for pointing me to the right direction!

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    Btw, a guide number of 53 does not mean the flash can reach something 53 metres away.... the distance = GN / aperture... so to reach 53 metres at iso 100 you need a f1.0 lens.... and not any f1.0 lens, the flash only has a GN of 53 when your lens focal length is 105mm or greater.... try finding a 105 f1.0 lens....
    It's ISO 100, 50mm, f/1.0.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    well, some people also concern about the compatibility issues for future upgrade when choosed the 3rd party speedlight over the original make speedlight.

    I remembered that I read from somewhere that canon never release information regarding their TTL technology. So, 3rd party can only made their speedlight based on the existing TTL metering which may not be compatible with the newer metering mode.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    Btw, a guide number of 53 does not mean the flash can reach something 53 metres away.... the distance = GN / aperture... so to reach 53 metres at iso 100 you need a f1.0 lens.... and not any f1.0 lens, the flash only has a GN of 53 when your lens focal length is 105mm or greater.... try finding a 105 f1.0 lens....
    Precisely, that's why Canon 580EX's claim of guide number 58 doesn't mean it can hit 58m away.
    That's why all factors taken in, 580ex with a guide number of 58 is only SLIGHTLY more powerful than a sigma with guide number 53
    At ISO 100 F2.8 105mm, canon can reach 20.7m vs the sigma's 18.9m, which is effectively only about 1/2 stop more powerful.

    Anyway to the thread starter:
    Seriously, consider the Sigma. I'm not working for sigma, and I've no reason to push sigma, but my logic is this: If you're going to learn lighting, you can buy 2 sigma flashes with almost equivilant performance to a 580exII for the same amt of money. Add abit more money, and you can buy a studio trigger and use it with the Sigma's built in optical slave. Think of it as cheap portable studio lighting. Which in all honesty, is VERY helpful at times.
    With 2 sigma flashes, + light modifiers, you can create a pretty good mini studio.
    It may sound laughable, but I've even used my Sigma flash as a extra light source in actual studios.
    This is something you can't do with any of the canon flashes.

    The amt of stuff you can do with 2 flashes is going to be alot more than 1 flash gun.

    Of course, if you're loaded, and you can well afford separate studio lights and multiple 580exIIs, you should just go ahead. Get what you need most. Really

  9. #29

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    BTW, the sigma you guys were talking about, is it come with manual adjustment feature?

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    Precisely, that's why Canon 580EX's claim of guide number 58 doesn't mean it can hit 58m away.
    That's why all factors taken in, 580ex with a guide number of 58 is only SLIGHTLY more powerful than a sigma with guide number 53
    At ISO 100 F2.8 105mm, canon can reach 20.7m vs the sigma's 18.9m, which is effectively only about 1/2 stop more powerful.

    Anyway to the thread starter:
    Seriously, consider the Sigma. I'm not working for sigma, and I've no reason to push sigma, but my logic is this: If you're going to learn lighting, you can buy 2 sigma flashes with almost equivilant performance to a 580exII for the same amt of money. Add abit more money, and you can buy a studio trigger and use it with the Sigma's built in optical slave. Think of it as cheap portable studio lighting. Which in all honesty, is VERY helpful at times.
    With 2 sigma flashes, + light modifiers, you can create a pretty good mini studio.
    It may sound laughable, but I've even used my Sigma flash as a extra light source in actual studios.
    This is something you can't do with any of the canon flashes.

    The amt of stuff you can do with 2 flashes is going to be alot more than 1 flash gun.

    Of course, if you're loaded, and you can well afford separate studio lights and multiple 580exIIs, you should just go ahead. Get what you need most. Really

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Draccoyap View Post
    BTW, the sigma you guys were talking about, is it come with manual adjustment feature?
    Yes there are manual adjustments.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    Precisely, that's why Canon 580EX's claim of guide number 58 doesn't mean it can hit 58m away.
    That's why all factors taken in, 580ex with a guide number of 58 is only SLIGHTLY more powerful than a sigma with guide number 53
    At ISO 100 F2.8 105mm, canon can reach 20.7m vs the sigma's 18.9m, which is effectively only about 1/2 stop more powerful.

    Anyway to the thread starter:
    Seriously, consider the Sigma. I'm not working for sigma, and I've no reason to push sigma, but my logic is this: If you're going to learn lighting, you can buy 2 sigma flashes with almost equivilant performance to a 580exII for the same amt of money. Add abit more money, and you can buy a studio trigger and use it with the Sigma's built in optical slave. Think of it as cheap portable studio lighting. Which in all honesty, is VERY helpful at times.
    With 2 sigma flashes, + light modifiers, you can create a pretty good mini studio.
    It may sound laughable, but I've even used my Sigma flash as a extra light source in actual studios.
    This is something you can't do with any of the canon flashes.

    The amt of stuff you can do with 2 flashes is going to be alot more than 1 flash gun.

    Of course, if you're loaded, and you can well afford separate studio lights and multiple 580exIIs, you should just go ahead. Get what you need most. Really
    Thx unseen. yah i get your point. Thats wat i wanted to do with the flash. Make it a mini studio lighting. But i am a sucker for the feel,brand,design and peace of mind for the 580ExII. Most likely will get that once my budget starts to come. =D

  12. #32

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Hi,
    Is the Sigma 53 fully eTTL compatible with Canon? How much are we looking at.

    While it may be cheaper to get SIGMA, there is always the re-sale value that shoudl also be factored into considerations. Canon could be more expensive to acquire but it can be later re-sold at pretty good price. I wonder whether the same can be said about SIGMA.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Is either Canon or Metz for me...
    Canon 5D,30D,35mm F1.4L,135mm F2L,85mm F1.8 & 270/580 EX/Metz 45 CL/4

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by mamangrock View Post
    Is either Canon or Metz for me...
    Metz is so far the best 3rd-party flash i came across.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    get canon or metz

    personally i dun like sigma..
    50D, 30D, 17-55 F2.8 IS USM, 24-105 F4 IS USM, 430EX

  16. #36

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    What's the price difference between 580EX II and Metz 58 than?
    And how much difference is the performance?

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by joeTrue View Post
    What's the price difference between 580EX II and Metz 58 than?
    And how much difference is the performance?
    Both have similar guide number and price difference is $100+. The Metz have dual-flash function and lacks custom functions. My friend has one and its flash zooming head died on him twice but after sending it in for firmware upgrade, so far no problems.

    The design and built of the Metz 58 is also not as gd as 580EX II and lacks flash head locking when tilted at different angles.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •