Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Help with deciding flash.

  1. #1

    Default Help with deciding flash.

    Went to this shop at Penisula Plaza and was asking him about the cannon 580 EX II. The owner was telling me why spend so much on the flash when sigma got a better one at half the price. The model i forget which one liao but I remember he told me the sigma throw can reach 53 meter.

    Theres another thing he said that makes me feel uncomfortable especially when i already decided to get 580EX II. He said Sigma flash is Made In Japan and showed me the words emboss on the flash itself. And continue to tell me that the Canon one is not, dunnoe from where i forget.

    I wonder how true is this. But put the manufacturing country aside. Which flash actually is better? Feature wise?

    I have a feel of both and definetly the 580Ex II feels better but strangely i didnt see the Made In Japan on the 580Ex II.

    Anyone give some thoughts on which flash should i opt for?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    The Sigma is cheaper but the build definitely loses out to the Canon. I am not sure whether Canon flashes are still made in Japan or not though. Which shop did u go to?

    I am also looking at buying a flash but probably just the 430 not the 580.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    west
    Posts
    1,313

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    i saw the ex430..made in china

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    All these are unimportant. What's important is you know what you want, and you know what the flash can do and cannot do.

    Lets put it this way: flashes and cameras are like Microsoft software-- full of features which are hardly used, especially by beginners (eg wireless triggering, master/slave functionality, etc). A simple automatic flash, believe it or not, will cover 90% of your needs at the beginner's level.



    Quote Originally Posted by akababy View Post
    Went to this shop at Penisula Plaza and was asking him about the cannon 580 EX II. The owner was telling me why spend so much on the flash when sigma got a better one at half the price. The model i forget which one liao but I remember he told me the sigma throw can reach 53 meter.

    Theres another thing he said that makes me feel uncomfortable especially when i already decided to get 580EX II. He said Sigma flash is Made In Japan and showed me the words emboss on the flash itself. And continue to tell me that the Canon one is not, dunnoe from where i forget.

    I wonder how true is this. But put the manufacturing country aside. Which flash actually is better? Feature wise?

    I have a feel of both and definetly the 580Ex II feels better but strangely i didnt see the Made In Japan on the 580Ex II.

    Anyone give some thoughts on which flash should i opt for?
    Last edited by waileong; 11th November 2007 at 04:07 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Im not familiar with canon system, but take note of difference in refresh rates and possible expansion of accessories such as battery pack.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    I'll get the 580 Ex II. Reliability and service centre is easily available.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Hm. i am actually thinking of using the flash without it attaching to my camera. Trigger it wirelessly and most probably with a umbrella. Have to get trigger all these. So far found a 3rd party one can trigger cannon flash.

    Wanna get a cheap and basic feel of studio flash first b4 i venture further

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    All these are unimportant. What's important is you know what you want, and you know what the flash can do and cannot do.

    Lets put it this way: flashes and cameras are like Microsoft software-- full of features which are hardly used, especially by beginners (eg wireless triggering, master/slave functionality, etc). A simple automatic flash, believe it or not, will cover 90% of your needs at the beginner's level.
    So do you think EX430 is more thAN enough for beginner? Is it enough to cover evening event / function? TIA

  9. #9

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    my ex430 is made in china...so far so good...just used it at SIN...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    So do you think EX430 is more thAN enough for beginner? Is it enough to cover evening event / function? TIA

    IMHO, a photographer will outgrow the flash ALOT sooner than the camera.
    Why get a 430EX when you can get a Sigma flash, which has almost equal performance as the 580ex? OK, so it loses out by about 1/3 stop in power. A major issue? that depends on you..

    If you've oodles of $$ to spend, get the canon 580ex, make yourself happy that you got the most expensive thing around, and expensive = good.
    If you want quality, you'd be looking at the Metz flesh.
    If you want features for a low price, you'll be looking at the Sigma.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by akababy View Post
    Went to this shop at Penisula Plaza and was asking him about the cannon 580 EX II. The owner was telling me why spend so much on the flash when sigma got a better one at half the price. The model i forget which one liao but I remember he told me the sigma throw can reach 53 meter.

    Theres another thing he said that makes me feel uncomfortable especially when i already decided to get 580EX II. He said Sigma flash is Made In Japan and showed me the words emboss on the flash itself. And continue to tell me that the Canon one is not, dunnoe from where i forget.

    I wonder how true is this. But put the manufacturing country aside. Which flash actually is better? Feature wise?

    I have a feel of both and definetly the 580Ex II feels better but strangely i didnt see the Made In Japan on the 580Ex II.

    Anyone give some thoughts on which flash should i opt for?
    I think i know which shop u're referring too and they bulls**t a lot! Last time my fren also kenna from there.

    According to your queries:

    The Sigma one does not perform as well as the 580EX II (also loses to 580EX) in terms of built, functions, durability and performance.

    The Sigma 500DG Super ETTL II's max guide number is 50 and NOT 53. 580EX II is 58. I'm not sure abt the country of manufacture of the Sigma one, but 580EX II is DEFINITELY made in japan, similar to 580EX. But 430EX is China. The Made in Japan wordings are found at the bottom of the flash, where the show mount is.

    The bottomline is......get the 580EX II. Though more expensive than Sigma, it can really bring u a way lot longer and u'll really appreciate it once u're using it intensively. Forget abt the Sigma.

    That's my 2 cents worth.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I think i know which shop u're referring too and they bulls**t a lot! Last time my fren also kenna from there.

    According to your queries:

    The Sigma one does not perform as well as the 580EX II (also loses to 580EX) in terms of built, functions, durability and performance.

    The Sigma 500DG Super ETTL II's max guide number is 50 and NOT 53. 580EX II is 58. I'm not sure abt the country of manufacture of the Sigma one, but 580EX II is DEFINITELY made in japan, similar to 580EX. But 430EX is China. The Made in Japan wordings are found at the bottom of the flash, where the show mount is.

    The bottomline is......get the 580EX II. Though more expensive than Sigma, it can really bring u a way lot longer and u'll really appreciate it once u're using it intensively. Forget abt the Sigma.

    That's my 2 cents worth.
    Update for you.
    There's a Sigma 530DG with guide number 53.
    That's only about 1/3 to 2/3 stops difference.

    The Sigma performs ALMOST as well.
    You can't perform neither built, functions, NOR durability.
    We're talking about performance, and it really does performs almost as well. As for reliability of performance, I'll take the Sigma's over Canon's anyday. and I still do.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    So do you think EX430 is more thAN enough for beginner? Is it enough to cover evening event / function? TIA
    Coverage of events/function does not depend on the features of the flash unless you are a sophisticated photographer trying to trigger multiple flashes wirelessly with specific lighting ratios.

    If, like most photographers, you're shooting alone with what you carry in your bag, the main difference between a 430EX and a 580EX would be the power output.

    Whether that's enough depends on your shooting distance.

    But if power is the main consideration, all options are open-- even simple automatic flashes.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Coverage of events/function does not depend on the features of the flash unless you are a sophisticated photographer trying to trigger multiple flashes wirelessly with specific lighting ratios.

    If, like most photographers, you're shooting alone with what you carry in your bag, the main difference between a 430EX and a 580EX would be the power output.

    Whether that's enough depends on your shooting distance.

    But if power is the main consideration, all options are open-- even simple automatic flashes.
    No I m not. Thks for advise. Want to learn more abt external lighting, so thinking to get a flash....

  15. #15

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    after some read up and asking ard, i've more or less decided to change from an intended 580 II to a Metz, cant rem the model but went to research bout it b4, performance is as good or perhaps better than speedlite and price is about 600+, which is about + - 100 lesser than 580 II
    Canon 400D / Rebel XTi Gripped EFS 17-85mm / 50mm f/1.8
    http://jerryyang.deviantart.com

  16. #16

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    uh. sorry guys i dun really intend to start a brand war here.

    Anyway after going thru the post seems like now its even harder for me to decide. Someone mention that performance wise its almost the same between the sigma 530 and the canon 580.

    Now i think its whether wanna pay 200+ more for the build, quality, finishing and the brand?

    If budget permits most likely will get the canon 580 Ex2.

    Thanks all for the help.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by akababy View Post
    uh. sorry guys i dun really intend to start a brand war here.

    Anyway after going thru the post seems like now its even harder for me to decide. Someone mention that performance wise its almost the same between the sigma 530 and the canon 580.

    Now i think its whether wanna pay 200+ more for the build, quality, finishing and the brand?

    If budget permits most likely will get the canon 580 Ex2.

    Thanks all for the help.
    perhaps read up and ask more bout the specs and functions of the various brands, then slowly decide which one suits u most.
    Canon 400D / Rebel XTi Gripped EFS 17-85mm / 50mm f/1.8
    http://jerryyang.deviantart.com

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    FYI, u can get the Sigma 530 for $440 at OP(Simlim).

  19. #19

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    thx, will look out for more details.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Help with deciding flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by akababy View Post
    uh. sorry guys i dun really intend to start a brand war here.

    Anyway after going thru the post seems like now its even harder for me to decide. Someone mention that performance wise its almost the same between the sigma 530 and the canon 580.

    Now i think its whether wanna pay 200+ more for the build, quality, finishing and the brand?

    If budget permits most likely will get the canon 580 Ex2.

    Thanks all for the help.
    I highly recommend the 580EX II. If u want a third-party one instead, i recommend Metz 58.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •