Thread: Nikon Speedlight

Default Nikon Speedlight

Hi ,

Just to check.

Can Nikon Speedlights be used on other PNS cam (other brands) besides the Nikon P5100?

Will it fire or explode

Default Re: Nikon Speedlight

depends whether the other pns has a hot shoe for flashlight. there will not be ttl (through the lens) metering, but automatic modes (determining proper flash exposure through the flash's sensor) will still work. do note that not all nikon flash has automatic modes.

I've used nikon speedlights (via automatic modes) on fujifilm s602z, casio qv2900uz and canon dslrs.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza View Post
    depends whether the other pns has a hot shoe for flashlight. there will not be ttl (through the lens) metering, but automatic modes (determining proper flash exposure through the flash's sensor) will still work. do note that not all nikon flash has automatic modes.

I've used nikon speedlights (via automatic modes) on fujifilm s602z, casio qv2900uz and canon dslrs.
    Hey mpenza, thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Hi ,

Just to check.

Can Nikon Speedlights be used on other PNS cam (other brands) besides the Nikon P5100?

Will it fire or explode
    if theres a hotshoe mount. i guess its ok.

i've used nikon speedlights on my canon camera bodies before. with M mode all the way. worked pretty well so far..

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza View Post

as far as I know, sb600 is one that doesn't have auto mdoe. only TTL and manual.

yup. the good ones to get in my opinion are the SB28, SB28DX and SB80DX if u're using the flash with automatic modes on non-nikon cameras. These are small and compact, yet very powerful (they're among the top of the range in terms of power) I like the metal shoe of the SB80DX too as it makes it easy to attach the flash.

like what the others have said that nikon speedlights can be used on auto and manual mode with any brand pns or dslr cameras provided they have a standard hot shoe to provide the triggering.

having said that, i must add that i have encountered a problem with my canon g1 after buying it.

on the side of the hotshoe there is a spring contact which tells the g1 that a flash or pc adapter is attached on the hotshoe. i think this prepares it to receive signals from a canon flash and prepare it for ttl operation.

but since you are not using a canon flash, the g1 will trigger the flash but will also expose the shot with the widest aperture even though you may have set the exposure of the g1 on manual mode to sync with the aperture set on the nikon flash, eg f5.6 etc.

the same also happens when i use a pc adapter to connect my studio flash to the g1.

this doesn't happen with my olympus c2000 pns which i could connect it to any speedlight or studio flash.

never bought another canon g-series or canon pns camera again after that.
    Last edited by jfoo; 13th November 2007 at 01:12 AM.