Thread: Jurong Lake Side

Default Jurong Lake Side

Hi! This was taken last evening along Jurong Lake side about 6pm.

Appreciate your comments on the following
    composition
    exposure
    lighting

What's your impression/feeling after looking at it?
    Thank a lot

Cheers,
    Last edited by hhho; 9th November 2007 at 09:24 PM.

Default Re: Jurong Lake Side

In my opinion everything's fine, perhaps a little under-exposed, and there's dust on your lens. Not an inspiring shot though, just looks... plain.

A suggestion is that you take the photograph with the pagodas more towards the right (that means either you position your camera towards the left or move yourself to the right).

Hi Looks underexposed and the composing could be better.
    Do post exifs for better comment on technicalities.

Too many distracting elements....what were you trying to shoot? The pagoda the boat or a panning shot?

Try to declutter and keep one thing in mind....a framing with the pagodaon the right and water leading to it may have better...

Composition
    Actually, what bother me most is the 4 poles sticking right in the middle, very unpleasant.
    Can you avoid the poles ?
    I guess you can. Say 2 or 3 steps to your left, such that you are standing slightly to the left of the 2nd poles from the left.
    Go forward a bit but make sure you don't fall into the lake.
    Zoom in slightly.
    So you have the boats diagonal on the bottom right corner of the frame( avoid the rubber boat), and the pangoda on the upper left of the frame.
    Should look better.

Exposure
    A bit underexposed, looks gloomy.

Lighting
    Guess there is nothing much you can do about it. Why not choose a sunny morning, say 9am where you have good warm light that shine onto the boat and the pangoda. The feel will be totally different.
    Last edited by BUZ_BUZ; 10th November 2007 at 09:23 AM. Reason: typo error

As a newbie myself, I think post processing is very important to give a picture some "snap".
    Learn to do it, it's fun and will bring your pictures to the next level.

Also try to look at the foreground/background before composition and not just focusing on the subject. The poles and rubberboat spolits the image and even tons of PS can't save it.

Here's my 5 mins attempt to PS your pic. I will remove it if you dun like it.

PS Lakeside Pic
    Last edited by m3lv1nh0; 10th November 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Your PS work was rather good m3lv1n, perhaps it could be brighter, the cropping helped a lot though.

Since this is not a scene you composed, there's not much to critique about composition. With regard to framing, I'm not sure why you cut off a bit of the boat in the foreground. Overall, it looks quite pleasing to me.

Exposure - The brightness of the digital image is the result of exposure AND sensitivity AND in-camera/out-of-camera processing, so how to tell the exposure from looking at the picture? Anyway, he brightness appears to be spot on - any brighter, and there would be massive blown-out highlights.

Lighting - nice diffuse light, I like it.

But: the colours look very unnatural, as if saturation had been boosted to compensate for haze. This effectively kills the picture for me. I believe this picture would look much better with more muted reds and greens. It may be a good candidate for monochrome.

And the dust specks are very disturbing.

dust specks.. damm and i tot i forgot to clean my lcd again! haha
    i think is a nice pic, feel good pic but nthing particularly special.
    crop away the sky since is plain and taking up space.
    i just got an issue with the speed boat in front, so out of place.

wow! I received so many comments
    need to take sometime to read one by one anyway, I would like to add a little bit more about making this photo.

It was a public holiday Thursday and cloudy weather. I went for a walk from my flat Jurong East to Jurong Lake garden and stopped by PA sea sport activities centre. The place used to conduct training for beginner to prepare them for dragon boat competition. I assume the rubber speed boat was there just in case of any emergency. About this photo I took it because I felt a very peaceful moment there so why not I took some photos? may be I should frame it a little better after learning all your feedback as following copy

Camera: E-300
    Shutter: 1/80 sec
    Aperature: f/7.1
    ExposureProgram: 4
    ISO: 100
    MeteringMode: 3
    Focal Length: 32.0 mm
    ExposureMode: 0

Cheers,

That grey 'boat' together with the protruding poles really spoil your pic, the sky looks uninteresting and your landscape shot is split half half.

Try to picture what you want to achieve first before shooting. If it does not work, dun shoot at all, just enjoy what is before you.
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|