Thread: Free Nokia Wifi Zone on Singapore Buses

Arrow Free Nokia Wifi Zone on Singapore Buses

Free Nokia Wifi Zone on Singapore Buses

Fri 09 Nov 2007

Free Nokia Wifi Zone on Singapore Buses

The Nokia Wifi Zone is now available on 12 buses running across the island allowing commuters to surf the internet literally on the go for free. The newly launched wifi initiative will include Ang Mo Kio and Toa Payoh Bus Interchanges by the end of next week with more locations following in the future.

Singaporeans can now hop on to any of the 12 buses plying service routes 12, 14, 30, 51, 65, 72, 80, 88, 96, 143, 147 and 179 to enjoy free and instant access to the internet, where you can surf, chat online, download music, play games or catch up on emails.

A first in Singapore and Asia Pacific, the Nokia wifi buses are part of Nokia's initiative to enable consumers to gain access to high speed internet connection on the go. Commuters can use the bus ride to catch up with their social networks, check emails and confirm an urgent meeting even before reaching office, or download the latest news and favourite sports updates while traveling to school or work.

With mobile devices fast becoming the main platform for people to enjoy digital content and share their experiences, a boring commute will be a thing of the past. Mr. Chris Carr, General Manager of Nokia Singapore, says, "We see the launch of the Nokia Wifi Zone initiative a natural extension of our goal to connect people - to the internet, to their favourite web applications on the move, given the proliferation of mobile gaming, digital music consumption and online social networks like Facebook and Friendster among Singaporeans."

"I believe this is the first of its kind in Singapore and we are excited by the possibilities of what our consumers can do with the free Wifi access on the buses as they commute on a daily basis. We want consumers to have a seamless mobile internet experience on the go, especially with the added speed and convenience offered by our wifi-enabled devices under the Nokia Nseries such as the Nokia N95, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia N80 Internet Edition, Nokia N81, Nokia N81 8GB, Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, Nokia N810 Internet Tablet, and the Nokia Eseries such as the Nokia E51, Nokia E61, Nokia E61i, Nokia E65 and the Nokia E90 Communicator," he added.

Mrs. Jayne Kwek, CEO of Moove Media said, "We are extremely excited and happy to be part of creating this first-in-Singapore innovation with Nokia and their partners, thereby delivering a ground breaking Internet experience to Singaporeans."

Consumers using their Nokia devices to enjoy the free internet access at the Nokia Wifi Zone only need to go to their Active Standby screen, click on their WLAN Wizard and connect to "Nokia Wifi Zone".

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/news/...?id=9154&cid=8

Default Re: Free Nokia Wifi Zone on Singapore Buses

my old N70 don't have WIFI to surf free
    Anyway I don't ride any of those buses
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Just another Nokia sales gimmick.

I don't ride any of those buses, but I can surf net without wifi using GRPS instead.

I am just wondering how do they know what kind of phone is connected to their Wifi. Is there some kind of way they can filter wifi connection thru phone models?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ho View Post
    I am just wondering how do they know what kind of phone is connected to their Wifi. Is there some kind of way they can filter wifi connection thru phone models?
    Not sure is it all WIFI enable product can surf... But Nokia is the one who install this service, so they get the oublicity?

Quote Originally Posted by www.straitstimes.com
    Now you can surf the Net on a bus

From today, a free high-speed mobile broadband service will be available on 12 bus routes, with more to comeBy Stephanie Gwee
    COMMUTERS will be able to while their time away on bus rides by checking movie times, replying to e-mail messages or watching YouTube clips.

From today, they can surf the Web for free on 12 popular bus routes that criss-cross the island.
    The SBS buses ply the routes which carry commuters to and from Ang Mo Ko, Toa Payoh, Bukit Timah, Orchard Road and Jurong.
    Commuters can use their laptops or mobile phones which can tap wirelessly into the Internet.
    Cellphone company Nokia has installed the high-speed mobile broadband service, known as High-Speed Downlink Packet Access, to allow this free surfing.
    Ang Mo Kio and Toa Payoh bus interchanges will also offer this new wireless access by the end of next week, with Nokia promising it will extend the wireless service to more bus routes and interchanges next year.
    The service links users to the Internet once they switch on the Wi-Fi function of their mobile devices, regardless of brand and telco service provider.
    This initiative, said a Nokia spokesman, was largely inspired by the Government's effort to improve wireless coverage of Singapore via the Wireless@SG drive.
    Launched last December, Wireless@SG already covers most shopping malls and cafes here, with 7,200 Wi-Fi hotspots nationwide.
    As of July, about 520,000 people have signed up for Wireless@SG.
    A test by The Straits Times assessed the user-friendliness and effectiveness of logging online on these buses. Services No. 88, 147 and 143 were tested.
    Once online, we checked our e-mail, streamed music from online radio stations and watched a video on YouTube. All activities could be done easily on buses 88 and 147. However, we were unable to connect to the Internet on the 143 service. stephg@sph.com.sg
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Somebody with a PSP or WIFI PDA phone.. try it!

wah how do they do it? SIM card based router on bus? lol

wish they start on all bus service, then i take bus always instead of MRT
    Beginners worries about cost, amaeturs worries about gear, pros worries about light hahaha

I used it today, with my powerbook! Cool, works, no need for nokia phones.

Arrow Re: Free Nokia Wifi Zone on Singapore Buses

Surf the Net on your bus ride home

You may be able to get free Wi-Fi almost anywhere in Singapore with the Wireless@SG initiative which aims to wire up the whole island state, but that is surely insufficient for the true Internet junkie. For up to two hours each day when traveling on a bus, a Net addict has to undergo cold turkey as his notebook becomes nothing more than a slab of plastic and silicon without wireless access. Well, a fix has been found. Nokia has brought Wi-Fi onto 12 buses in Singapore so that commuters can surf for free when riding them.

This feat is achieved by using the existing cellular HSDPA service. The best thing is that users don't need a HSDPA-enabled phone or modem as the equipment dishes out the access using regular Wi-Fi within the bus. So, this moving hotspot will give you your YouTube and Facebook fix as long as the cellular network is healthy along the bus route.

Unlike Wireless@SG, you don't have to sign up for an account to use Nokia's Wi-Fi Zone service. The unsecured network just requires you to agree to some terms of service and after that, you're good to go. Nokia says this is a trial for now and that it will review the service in a few months time. It's a first from the company, so you won't find it outside of Singapore at this point.

There are only 12 buses plying 12 different routes at this point--so chances of hopping on one even if you use the particular bus service is not guaranteed. If you are truly and hopelessly hooked to the Internet, we suggest getting your own HSDPA modem and an unlimited plan--that will work on any bus.

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2007/11/0...bus-ride-home/

HSDPA doesn't guarantee internet access also. I take 153 everyday and the signal always drop with M1 mobile broadband

inside underground MRT the speed worst then 33k modem

my iPAQ can't detect the signal. tried and tried until gave up. will take my notebook out and try one day.

Is there any health risk when sitting inside one of these buses?

Quote Originally Posted by SingaConnect View Post
    wish they start on all bus service, then i take bus always instead of MRT
    I wish they put in all MRTs instead. more passengers count

... also more network load.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

my singnet HSDPA is good anytime i neeed it click and it' on compared to M1's solution which is comparativley crap , 5 out of 10 times cannot connect, even if connected no apparent traffic and usually VERY SLOW. But singnet one i can feel it's almost like surfing internet at home with good connections.

So when i saw the wifi bus.... =)
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

Works fine with iPod Touch too. But then again, all AMK is one big hotspot already...
    Alpha