Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293437383940414449 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVERPOOL F.C. Season XV - Rafa, come back!!

Default Re: LIVERPOOL F.C. Season XV - Rafa, come back!!

Press Pass talks to Liverpool's Jose Reina

Press Pass

Since his arrival in England in 2005, Jose 'Pepe' Reina has established himself as one of the best 'keepers in the Premier League.

The diminutive Spaniard, hailed as the 'best in Spain' by Rafa Benitez, knocked Istanbul hero Jerzy Dudek off the top spot and went on to consolidate the goalkeeper's position for his own.

A string of impressive performances saw him concede only 29 goals in his first 50 games, breaking the previous record held by Ray Clemence and he continued to impress with some great penalty saves in the 2006 FA Cup win and later in the 2007 Champions League win over Chelsea.

This season, Reina has relegated Scott Carson to another loan move and even forced Dudek to move on (to Real Madrid), with his commanding form.

Press Pass caught up with the Liverpool stopper, to talk about his integration into the English game and his hopes for the coming season.

Q. Hi Pepe, what do you feel about the title race, do you think Liverpool have a good chance?

A. I hope so, it is a long race - I have said it many times and it is quite early to talk about that but all that we want is to be involved until the end and fight for that. We know it is going to be tough, there are good sides involved in the race but we are Liverpool and we have good quality to show that we can be contenders.

Q. At the very beginning of the season you started so well, it was fantastic but then there was a dip in form, what do you think happened?

A. I don't know. Something was wrong and we were not playing our best but that is normal, no? At any point of the season some teams will drop as we did and it is normal because you can't be at a high level all the time. Let's see if we can keep getting the results that we got in the last week and keep winning.

Q. Let's talk about the Champions League, the next game is against Porto at home. That is going to be a tough challenge - how do you think that will go?

A. It is a must win game for us. It has been really nice to get involved in the Champions League in the last three years, being one of the most important teams in Europe. All of our hopes are to get qualified once again and show the people that it was for something that we reached the final two times in the last three years.

Q. Jerzy Dudek was the star of Istanbul, does it make you feel that you want the Champions League even more?

A. Of course, that is one of my dreams. My dad played one final and I played another one, neither one of us has won it so let's try and reach another final and finally win it.

Q. What do you think about Fernando Torres as a player?

A. He is a great player, a key player for us, an important striker around the world. Obviously for Spain and for Liverpool he is a really good player. He is still quite young and has a long way to go, but in the next few years he is going to become one of the most important strikers ever.

Q. As a fellow Spaniard have you helped him settle in to the English game?

A. As much as I can, it is important. I felt that way when I came with Fernando Morientes and Luis Garcia and people like this. For me it is ok because he is a nice guy and I have no problem with him.

Q. What are your expectations for Spain?

A. Go little by little because all of the time we are so optimistic before the tournaments and afterwards it is, excuse me, a pain in the ass when you go out and you go back that early. So let's respect the teams that will be involved in the Euro 2008 and see what we can do, but we are certainly not the favourites.

Q. You have another fantastic goalkeeper in the squad in Iker Casillas, it must be difficult to have such tough competition.

A. It is, that is why I only have eight caps. It is difficult when you when you compete against these kind of keepers, he plays for Real Madrid, he plays really well every week and I have no arguments at the moment to play ahead of him.

Q. How difficult is it to keep motivated when maybe you won't play?

A. Yeah, but it is always a present to represent your country even a second choice keeper like me in Spain. For me it is like winning the lottery whenever I receive a call from the national manager, so it is always beautiful when you represent your country and it is an honour.

Q. Going back to the league, you have got a few really big games coming up, Manchester United at Anfield. Do you feel the same sort of sense of rivalry because you are Spanish?

A. It is, it is bigger than in Spain's Real Madrid vs Barcelona I would say. For us it is one of the most important games of the season and for the fans even more so. If we can beat them at Anfield it is going to be a great day for our supporters.

You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Let's get ready to GUESS GUESS GUESS!

Correct Score Prediction = 3points!

Correct 1st Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Correct Last Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Hat-Trick Hero Perfect Guess Guess Guess! = 5points!

so in any game, the max point a participant can net is a total of 10points.

Sorting Out the Grey Areas.

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and haf listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 16 points
    2) roadrunner 13 points
    3) jfoo 11 points
    4) kelccm 7 points
    5) grumpy 7 points
    6) airfins 7 points
    7) dfstan 6 points
    8) zhapchit 6 points
    9) xen0275 4 points
    10) estronutz 3 points
    11) blazer_works 3 points
    12) roDz 3 points
    13). canew 2 point
    14). dnd 1 point
    15). mpenza 1 point

LIVERPOOL vs. porto
    WED 28/11/07

1). LIVERPOOL 3-0 WIN! (1st sticking with Torres! last GERRARD!) cheesecake
    2). LIVERPOOL 3-0 WIN! (1st sticking with Gerrard last Torres) jfoo
    3). LIVERPOOL 4-0 WIN! (1st Crouch, last Voronin) zhapchit
    4). LIVERPOOL 5-0 WIN! (1st Babel, last Gerrard) kelccm
    5). LIVERPOOL 3-1 WIN! (1st: S. Gerrard, Last: F. Torres) Canew.
    6). LIVERPOOL 1-0 WIN! (1st: Kuyt) blazer_workz

Liverpool could face a player exodus if Rafael Benitez leaves the club. (Various)

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has missed out on AC Milan defender Kakha Kaladze because the club's owners would not discuss transfer planning with him. (Independent)

GERRARD: BLANK OUT RAFA ROW

Steven Gerrard says that the Liverpool players need to 'blank out' the behind-the-scenes problems at the club.

Liverpool face Porto in the Champions League on Wednesday night with reports suggesting that defeat could lead to the exit of Rafa Benitez.

Anfield chief executive Rick Parry held talks with Benitez on Monday night which the Liverpool Echo are describing as 'amicable', but there is clearly a massive gulf between Benitez and the club's American owners.

But Gerrard says: "It's important that the players keep their focus.

"We realise that there is stuff going on behind the scenes but as a player you have just got to blank that out.

"As players we get judged on results so it's vital that we don't get distracted from what is going on on the pitch and keep on winning.

"The match against Porto is crucial so we have to take our form into it and make sure we perform on the night."

RAFA COY ON EXIT RUMOURS

Rafael Benitez refused to discuss his war with Liverpool's American owners as he concentrated on making sure the Anfield club stay in the Champions League.

A week of acrimony between the Liverpool boss and club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett will be put aside when the Merseysiders fight for their European lives against Porto.

And Benitez will go into the clash with the Portuguese champions after clear-the-air talks with chief executive Rick Parry.

Hicks and Gillett have been enraged by Benitez's insubordination in a clear breakdown in their relationship with the Spaniard over transfer policy.

Benitez has been at odds with Parry too, so to be told that the club's administrative head was in charge of transfers was probably the last straw for the Spaniard.

But with speculation rife that Benitez's outbursts, first in an astonishing media conference last week and then after the win at Newcastle on Saturday, would cost him his job, there have been concerted efforts to cool down the crisis.

Benitez said: "As manager of Liverpool I know that the match against Porto is the most important thing, so I do not want to talk about anything else.

"I am sure we will win and play well, then I will be thinking about the next game, beating Bolton on Sunday.

"You can ask about the meeting with Rick Parry, but I will only talk about Porto, that is the only thing I am concerned about.

"We were thinking about Porto, were talking, but we talk a lot. We were talking about different things, but the most important thing for my club and our supporters is the game."

Privately Benitez has made it clear he wants to stay at the club. Whether this latest charm offensive will work with the Americans only time will tell.

Their are even suggestions that the pair's own relationship is not good, but that they are united in a desire to eventually end Benitez's reign at the club.

This stance has angered Liverpool fans, who have always backed the man who has taken them to two European Cup finals. A fans' march to the ground is believed to be planned ahead of the Porto game, plus a chanting of the manager's name throughout the game.

Benitez would not even be drawn on whether he is pleased with such a public outpouring of support.

He added: "The fans are the most important thing, always. Their support is fantastic, you could hear that in the semi-finals with Chelsea, it was the same against Besiktas.

"And if they are behind the team again then I will be very pleased.

"The most important thing is the club and the supporters, the game is more important.

"We know we must win, but we must not think that is the only way. We must not make mistakes and lose the game.

"If we draw and then win in Marseille, it is still possible to qualify for the last 16, we must not forget that and end up making mistakes that mean we lose.

"As for the fans, I want to hear the same noise that we had against Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals, that will please me.

"We have enough confidence and experience to win this one. We have been here before, we have played huge games against Olympiacos, Juventus and Chelsea.

"We know what must be done, we must approach the game with confidence and the right mentality. We are in good form so we must continue to play in that manner."

Earlier in the day, Benitez had overseen a light-hearted training session at the club's Melwood HQ, with the emphasis on humour and a clear underlining of unity with his players.

Skipper Steven Gerrard and goalkeeper Jose Reina both insisted that the players will not allow the crisis to affect them against Porto.

Benitez deflected any questioning of his relationship with the club's owners, pointedly looking ahead to the Porto game.

He said: "Our form is much better now, we are playing some very good football, and we must maintain our momentum.

"We must do better against Porto than we did in Portugal when we drew our first match. The difference this time is that we will have our fans behind us, and we are playing better. We are in a better position than before.

"For the future? I have my plans ready...for winning the next game."

Benitez has no new injury problems, but is likely to recall Javier Mascherano to midfield after he was rested in the 3-0 win at Newcastle.

MASCHERANO SET TO RETURN FOR REDS

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is expected to recall midfielder Javier Mascherano for the vital Champions League Group A clash against Porto.

The Argentinian was left on the bench for Saturday's win over Newcastle following his international commitments but although youngster Lucas Leiva did well at St James' Park, the more experienced Mascherano is likely to return.

Daniel Agger (foot), Jermaine Pennant (shin) and Xabi Alonso (foot) remain sidelined while Yossi Benayoun should have recovered from a shin injury.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Aurelio, Riise, Benayoun, Gerrard, Lucas, Mascherano, Sissoko, Kewell, Crouch, Kuyt, Torres, Voronin, Babel, Itandje.

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and haf listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 16 points
    2) roadrunner 13 points
    3) jfoo 11 points
    4) kelccm 7 points
    5) grumpy 7 points
    6) airfins 7 points
    7) dfstan 6 points
    8) zhapchit 6 points
    9) xen0275 4 points
    10) estronutz 3 points
    12) roDz 3 points
    13). canew 2 point
    14). dnd 1 point
    15). mpenza 1 point

LIVERPOOL vs. porto
    WED 28/11/07

7). LIVERPOOL 2-0 WIN! (1st Torres, Last Gerrard) roadrunner

my prediction : Liverpool 2-0 win (Torres, Crouch)

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 16 points
    2) roadrunner 13 points
    3) jfoo 11 points
    4) kelccm 7 points
    5) grumpy 7 points
    6) airfins 7 points
    7) dfstan 6 points
    8) zhapchit 6 points
    9) xen0275 4 points
    10) estronutz 3 points
    12) roDz 3 points
    13). canew 2 point
    14). dnd 1 point
    15). mpenza 1 point

LIVERPOOL vs. porto
    WED 28/11/07

8). Liverpool 2-0 win (Torres, Crouch) - nemesis32 (please include your guess below other's next time.)
    9). Liverpool 3-1 win lah! (Torres, Gerrard) - dfstan
    Games of Thrones.....

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 16 points
    2) roadrunner 13 points
    3) jfoo 11 points
    4) kelccm 7 points
    5) grumpy 7 points
    6) airfins 7 points
    7) dfstan 6 points
    8) zhapchit 6 points
    9) xen0275 4 points
    10) estronutz 3 points
    12) roDz 3 points
    13). canew 2 point
    14). dnd 1 point
    15). mpenza 1 point

LIVERPOOL vs. porto
    WED 28/11/07

8). Liverpool 2-0 win (Torres, Crouch) - nemesis32 (please include your guess below other's next time.)
    10). Liverpool 2-0 WIN! (1st: Gerrard, Last: Torres) Scaglietti

1 OFF SPECIAL GUESS GUESS GUESS CONTEST!

Who will be the NEW ENGLAND's GAFFER?????

each participant is allowed only 1 guess. the correct guess is worth an additional 5 POINTS!!

SUPER HOT ---> SAM ALLARDYCE!!!

Highly Likely --- > England's Hero, ALAN SHEARER! (he won't turn down the job becos he is a legend and the chance to become a true English HERO!)

Highly Unlikely --- > Italian Fatty Capello, Stuart Pearce, Lil' Sam (hahahaha!)

Dark Horses --- > Josie MoaningRhino, Rubber Buang-is-tense, Martin O'Neill, Matt le Tissier

Josie MoaningRhino is more keen to replace Rubber Buang-is-Tense in Anfield than to take over the England hotseat. if he does indeed replace Rubber Buang-is-Tense, it will end a long 4yrs desire to have Stevie G in his team. it will be extra sweet for Josie to replace Rubber becos of the fierce and intense rivalry between the 2 'special' managers.

1). ALAN SHEARER! cheesecake
    2). Josie MoaningRhino! kelccm
    3). Jose Morinho - Scaglietti

each participant is allowed only 1 guess. the correct guess is worth an additional 5 POINTS!!

Highly Likely --- > England's Hero, ALAN SHEARER! (he won't turn down the job becos he is a legend and the chance to become a true English HERO!)

Highly Unlikely --- > Italian Fatty Capello, Stuart Pearce, Lil' Sam (hahahaha!)

Dark Horses --- > Josie MoaningRhino, Rubber Buang-is-tense, Martin O'Neill, Matt le Tissier

Josie MoaningRhino is more keen to replace Rubber Buang-is-Tense in Anfield than to take over the England hotseat. if he does indeed replace Rubber Buang-is-Tense, it will end a long 4yrs desire to have Stevie G in his team. it will be extra sweet for Josie to replace Rubber becos of the fierce and intense rivalry between the 2 'special' managers.

4). Louis van Gaal - Zhapchit
    Last edited by zhapchit; 28th November 2007 at 01:59 PM.

tonight big gamE!!

gonna stay up and root for LIVERPOOL!!! hopefully we can win!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    tonight big gamE!!

gonna stay up and root for LIVERPOOL!!! hopefully we can win!
    need a win to save Rafa's seat! If not JM will take over?

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    need a win to save Rafa's seat! If not JM will take over?
    no worries la. tonight we sure steady.

goin to buy LIVERPOOL gif ball. ZAI ONE! becos i got JI!

follow me! i'll lead u home!

5). Jose Moron - Roadrunner

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner_552 View Post

5). Jose Moron - Roadrunner
    trust me.

england hero ALAN SHEARER!! HAHAHAHAHA

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 16 points
    2) roadrunner 13 points
    3) jfoo 11 points
    4) kelccm 7 points
    5) grumpy 7 points
    6) airfins 7 points
    7) dfstan 6 points
    8) zhapchit 6 points
    9) xen0275 4 points
    10) estronutz 3 points
    12) roDz 3 points
    13). canew 2 point
    14). dnd 1 point
    15). mpenza 1 point

LIVERPOOL vs. porto
    WED 28/11/07

10).Liverpool 2-0 WIN! (1st: Gerrard, Last: Torres) Scaglietti
    11).LIVERPOOL 3-0 WIN! (1st sticking with Torres! last Crouch!) airfins
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    trust me.

england hero ALAN SHEARER!! HAHAHAHAHA

I thought he say he dun wan?

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I thought he say he dun wan?
    must act difficult to get mah..else its like he very cheap one..some more going to engkok is like kio sai..cleaning up the mess..more moola needed..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.