Thread: How do you take panoramas?

Default How do you take panoramas?

So far, I just put the camera on tripod and rotate the tripod head to take several overlapping shots.

But I realize the experts say its not as simple as that! When taking panos, it's not just about stitching one shot to another. Apparently, it is not the base of the camera that should be the pivot but the lens! It also mentioned about "nodal point". Cheem...!

I also know that there are specialized tripod heads just to do panning but they are very ex??

could anyone please explain how you do panos? I've done a few and so far quite ok but apparently it's not the right way. I wish to do the "proper" way if possible.

Thanks for any sharing!

Default Re: How do you take panoramas?

tripod do fine, infact you can simple just rotate your waist keeping your hands and legs steady all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    tripod do fine, infact you can simple just rotate your waist keeping your hands and legs steady all the time...
    Easier said than done.
    Sony DSC-H2....its not the power of the camera, its the vision of the photographer....

i've tried non-tripod style, possible but may not always be good.

So you guys don't know about the "proper" way to take panos that I described above?

What they are trying to explain is that if you are shooting, for example, 3 shots from left to right, the 3 images should be rotating about the point of the lens. Should you rotate via the camera based mounted on to the tripod, it is actually the camera that is rotating. Simply put, their impression of a proper pano would be the rotating about a point that is directly beneath the front element of your lens.

Another expensive way to do it would be to get a tilt and shift lens, same mounted position, shift it right, shoot, then shift it left, then shoot again. A more expensive way would be to purchase a panoramic camera.
    tSkye shoots whatever comes tSkye's way... | 5D2, 1224, 16FE, 35L, 1.4xTC, 300L

Quote Originally Posted by hairygorillaz View Post
    Easier said than done.
    I dono whats so hard about it? many have done it using this method, including myself... so far result have been good as long as one make sure that he/she has got enough overlapping on each image.
    another one would be try not to frame anything that is too close to you
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 8th November 2007 at 08:42 PM.

a tilt-shift can only give you that much of a panoramic view. but at least you can use it for many other purposes. heh. so it might not be that much of a waste of $.

a dedicated panoramic camera would be the most "correct" way to shoot I suppose. Although in my opinion, there is no such thing as "correct". Do whatever works for you.

vince123123
    Guests

The proper way is to rotate about the nodal point - how to find that out, I don't know ;P

You need the proper tools to do that - Really Right Stuff has lots of plates/bars/sliding rails etc for such panoramas - even on the vertical axis and horizontal axis simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    So far, I just put the camera on tripod and rotate the tripod head to take several overlapping shots.

But I realize the experts say its not as simple as that! When taking panos, it's not just about stitching one shot to another. Apparently, it is not the base of the camera that should be the pivot but the lens! It also mentioned about "nodal point". Cheem...!

I also know that there are specialized tripod heads just to do panning but they are very ex??

could anyone please explain how you do panos? I've done a few and so far quite ok but apparently it's not the right way. I wish to do the "proper" way if possible.

Thanks for any sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

Thanks for any sharing!

Well hope this piece of article at this link will be of some help to you explaining things like the Nodal Point and how to go about detecting that on your camera lens.

http://www.kaidan.com/nodalpoint.html

Found a site that teach you step by step.

I am interested but have not tried it.

http://moonshine.homedns.org:2655/pano/
    Last edited by glasgow982000; 9th November 2007 at 06:44 PM.