Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSLR or Prosumer?

Default Re: DSLR or Prosumer?

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    prosumer la....

dun get the dslr unless u are ready to take the plunge...

take some serious thought into it
    That's what my family told me! Haha.

I'm aware of the big price difference, that's why I'm still in dilemma

Even with a canon 400D (small) and a 24-105mm, I felt the weight on my neck while on holiday. Suddenly, I wished I had a prosumer camera with me. Hahaha....
    Last edited by happyham; 8th November 2007 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by happyham View Post
    Even with a canon 400D (small) and a 24-105mm, I felt the weight on my neck while on holiday. Suddenly, I wished I had a prosumer camera with me.
    Well, I guess it's true. When I lug a Canon camcorder (with DV tapes and extra batt) during holiday, I wish I had something lighter

Quote Originally Posted by happyham View Post
    Even with a canon 400D (small) and a 24-105mm, I felt the weight on my neck while on holiday. Suddenly, I wished I had a prosumer camera with me.
    Not I.....

Use PnS camera for years. Just got myself a 400D this apr and loving every moment of it.

TS.... u must remember that having a DSLR doesn't make your photos instantly better. And a DSLR cost much more than the $2000 you set your buget to be. A 2nd hand camera might cost you $700-$900..... a few lense will cost you at least $600-$800. Not including stuff like tripod, filters or even dry cabinat..... etc

But if you are really intrested in Photographry and not just a spur or a moment thingy..... then start with a cheap DSLR. Canon's 400D or Nikon D40X would be good beginner camera. Just remember that your neck wouldn't feel the same any more.... hehehe

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Not I.....

Use PnS camera for years. Just got myself a 400D this apr and loving every moment of it.

TS.... u must remember that having a DSLR doesn't make your photos instantly better. And a DSLR cost much more than the $2000 you set your buget to be. A 2nd hand camera might cost you $700-$900..... a few lense will cost you at least $600-$800. Not including stuff like tripod, filters or even dry cabinat..... etc

But if you are really intrested in Photographry and not just a spur or a moment thingy..... then start with a cheap DSLR. Canon's 400D or Nikon D40X would be good beginner camera. Just remember that your neck wouldn't feel the same any more.... hehehe
    Haha! Actually I do video recording using camcorder pretty often. Together with my old A80 in my sling bag, always quite a burden on my shoulder. I guess with that 'training', the weight of a budget DSLR should be manageable

In all practical sense, you can't run away from an ultra-compact camera. Since there will be times when it needs to be small to be conveniently carried around.

In absolute sense, its very difficult to be satisfied with a photo taken (especially indoors, low light) with nothing but the best available equipment. Not just because of the quality of the output, but also the frustrations of trying to take such photos..

Prosumers are meant for when you can only have 1 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by KangS View Post
    In all practical sense, you can't run away from an ultra-compact camera. Since there will be times when it needs to be small to be conveniently carried around.

In absolute sense, its very difficult to be satisfied with a photo taken (especially indoors, low light) with nothing but the best available equipment. Not just because of the quality of the output, but also the frustrations of trying to take such photos..

Prosumers are meant for when you can only have 1 camera.
    Which is why I used for my k800i for snapshot. In fact I find slim compact redundant - I don wan two cameras in my pants

once u get a DSLR u will sure spend alot on the accessories man! some virus will catch u

Quote Originally Posted by junkai21 View Post
    once u get a DSLR u will sure spend alot on the accessories man! some virus will catch u
    The BBB virus...no cure one

Quote Originally Posted by acky86 View Post
    Well, an additional point to consider (maybe just a minor detail). What would you mostly be using your camera for?

When I see this thread, I remember a conversation I had a few weeks ago. My friend told me that he is really interested to get a DSLR for himself as he simply loves photography. He's also torn between a prosumer and a DSLR. But as he loves to go backpacking everywhere as well, it is not so convenient for him to lug a big and heavy DSLR around. My point is, think what would you be using your camera for? Is there any of your needs that can only be met by DSLR? To me, DSLR is a long time investment. It is not simply about getting a camera, but a way to express yourself through the photos that you have taken. And soon you'll start buying new lenses and accessories to play with. If you are really serious about photography, buying an entry- or mid-level DSLR and work up from there is a good idea.
    I agree with acky86, what would be you mostly be using your camera for and whether the improved picture quality would justify that use (and price ).
    I had already decided on prosumer and was ready to get it. I went down to try it out at the camera shop and was disappointed with the picture quality , i had imagine that i would be able to get a much better pic quality when i upgrade from a compact.

In the end, i got myself a 2nd hand Canon 350d at around $600. I was sold by the picture quality and the effect that i've always wanted (i wanted DOF on my pictures which prosumer wasn't able to give me).

My advise? Try out the camera that you have your eyes on. Especially in the condition that you would usually be using it for (action shots of children with low light condition, protraits etc). I bought along my son when i went down to buy the camera just so that i can test out how fast the camera can capture the shots (as children always move around so fast), and i also tried out the apeture settings to test out the DOF that i've wanted.

Happy hunting for that dream camera

Quote Originally Posted by RyanRemus View Post
    I agree with acky86, what would be you mostly be using your camera for and whether the improved picture quality would justify that use (and price ).
    I had already decided on prosumer and was ready to get it. I went down to try it out at the camera shop and was disappointed with the picture quality , i had imagine that i would be able to get a much better pic quality when i upgrade from a compact.

In the end, i got myself a 2nd hand Canon 350d at around $600. I was sold by the picture quality and the effect that i've always wanted (i wanted DOF on my pictures which prosumer wasn't able to give me).

My advise? Try out the camera that you have your eyes on. Especially in the condition that you would usually be using it for (action shots of children with low light condition, protraits etc). I bought along my son when i went down to buy the camera just so that i can test out how fast the camera can capture the shots (as children always move around so fast), and i also tried out the apeture settings to test out the DOF that i've wanted.

Happy hunting for that dream camera
    Thanks for the tip! The 'bring a kid' is a great idea!

how serious are you with regards to photography?

are you planning to use photography to earn money?

even if you don't, do you get a huge sense of satisfaction from blowing up your pictures big big to print and hang on wall?

once you can answer these 3 questions, which ONLY you can answer, and YOU alone.. you will know what to buy.. or whether to buy one first or buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    how serious are you with regards to photography?

are you planning to use photography to earn money?

even if you don't, do you get a huge sense of satisfaction from blowing up your pictures big big to print and hang on wall?

once you can answer these 3 questions, which ONLY you can answer, and YOU alone.. you will know what to buy.. or whether to buy one first or buy another.
    Thanks for the self reflective tips!

1) I can't say I'm extremely serious in photography. Just that I'm looking for better equipment to improve my photography skills. My experience with Canon A80's manual controls has been great, hence I'm looking into learning more with a better camera.

2) No. However part of my passion in my job is taking photos of children, uploading them online, publishing them in newsletters, and even big prints for banners. Yes, I'm a teacher, and I wanted to DIY instead of engaging a professional photographer

3) Hmm...tough question. I do not print my photos to such huge sizes but I really enjoy looking at photos u guys took using DSLR
    Last edited by Tucksoon; 8th November 2007 at 11:58 PM.

i think it is extremely unfair to compare complete SLR system w prosumer.

a SLR system, which may consist of a body, several lens, flash, various filters and tripod is definately not cheap. but its user specific and may also take years to put together.

trying to compare this 2 in this way is likely to give the impression that a basic SLR system is expensive and out of the reach of most ppl.

its not true, especially w the vast amount of quality stuff on buy and sell.

a bare minimum entry level SLR body w kit lens (2nd hand, but in very good condition) cost about the same, if not less than a brand new prosumer.

the difference is that a SLR system is flexible and allows the user to "customise" it according to his/her needs (IF NECESSARY). the same cant be said for a prosumer.

i find that prosumers are not much different from point and shoot. cus i tried my fren's panasonic. even the view finder is digital and not through the lens. the max aperture is only F8. normally i use aperture priority mode, and the prosumer has one. but the change of aperture is not directly accessible and awkard to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon View Post
    Thanks for the self reflective tips!

1) I can't say I'm extremely serious in photography. Just that I'm looking for better equipment to improve my photography skills. My experience with Canon A80's manual controls has been great, hence I'm looking into learning more with a better camera.

2) No. However part of my passion in my job is taking photos of children, uploading them online, publishing them in newsletters, and even big prints for banners. Yes, I'm a teacher, and I wanted to DIY instead of engaging a professional photographer

3) Hmm...tough question. I do not print my photos to such huge sizes but I really enjoy looking at photos u guys took using DSLR
    well, based on your reply;

1) prosumer or dslr will offer more than your a80, in different ways, as mentioned in the thread. undoubtedly, dslr will offer you more SPACE, but it depends on how far you wish to go

2) then you probably would not need a pro-grade dslr. in any case, once again both would fit the job, with the dslr being more versatile and costing more long-term.

3) same as 2.

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post

a SLR system, which may consist of a body, several lens, flash, various filters and tripod is definately not cheap. but its user specific and may also take years to put together.

trying to compare this 2 in this way is likely to give the impression that a basic SLR system is expensive and out of the reach of most ppl.

a bare minimum entry level SLR body w kit lens (2nd hand, but in very good condition) cost about the same, if not less than a brand new prosumer.

the difference is that a SLR system is flexible and allows the user to "customise" it according to his/her needs (IF NECESSARY). the same cant be said for a prosumer.

i find that prosumers are not much different from point and shoot. cus i tried my fren's panasonic. even the view finder is digital and not through the lens. the max aperture is only F8. normally i use aperture priority mode, and the prosumer has one. but the change of aperture is not directly accessible and awkard to use.
    Well, I'm not comparing DSLR with Prosumer. Rather I'm deciding between the two

As I read up CS forums the past one month (I MIA for 3-4 years after getting the Canon A80...haha), I learn a lot on the capabilities of a DSLR system, which is why I'm considering it as an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, based on your reply;

1) prosumer or dslr will offer more than your a80, in different ways, as mentioned in the thread. undoubtedly, dslr will offer you more SPACE, but it depends on how far you wish to go

2) then you probably would not need a pro-grade dslr. in any case, once again both would fit the job, with the dslr being more versatile and costing more long-term.

3) same as 2.
    Thanks for the tip bro! I need to check my bank book liao

Thanks for the tip bro! I need to check my bank book liao
    hahaha don't be too hasty to check

remember - you have many many choices whether you go for dslr or prosumer. for prosumer the price range is perhaps closer. for dslr, you can get something very affordable these days, not that far from a brand new prosumer actually. for prosumer i have included the current choices in my thread with the strengths/weaknesses. other than that there is a point of handling , how much you like the feel of the camera in your hand, whether you find the menu arrangement very spastic and ley chey or very intuitive.

just remember, every camera is good, it's how much you like using it that matters, because if you use it more, you will learn more about it. when you learn more about it you will know its faults and shortcomings and its strengths. and hopefully you will be able to maximize its strengths and limit the shortcomings when you take photos. cheers, and have fun photographing.

if you eventually do take the dslr route, i hope you view things objectively and not just follow the crowd. not that the underdog brands in the dslr market (olympus, sony, pentax [my brand]) are superior. it's just that by not even considering them and following the canikon majority - not that all of them follow blindly, but i would maintain that perhaps 75% of new users would be enticed by the fact that "hey! everyone else is using a canikon".. you would effectively be limiting the range of excellent choices available to you.
    Last edited by night86mare; 9th November 2007 at 12:20 AM.

Well, I'm not comparing DSLR with Prosumer. Rather I'm deciding between the two

As I read up CS forums the past one month (I MIA for 3-4 years after getting the Canon A80...haha), I learn a lot on the capabilities of a DSLR system, which is why I'm considering it as an upgrade.
    hi, i am not referring to anyone in particular.

jus that i feel tat very often, the impression of DSLR and prosumer is not a fair one.

of course, u need to critically compare before u can decide which to get. absolutely nothin wrong w that.

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post

an honest reply;

both are cameras, if you cannot compare two cameras, and show that they are distinctly different, then you cannot compare anything in this world. but that aside, you would have to understand that in your comparison, it is effectively on the bias side as well; i sense a huge bias for dslr. you cannot compare old and new either. if you buy a new toyota versus a old mercedes, can you then say that comparing performance is fair?

to make a far comparison, you must compare OLD prosumer (also chockful of these in B&S) and OLD slr or NEW prosumer and NEW slr pricing. in which case there is significant difference. also take note that effectively you would have to buy the "all in one lens" option, i.e. 18-200 vr most of the time for the more common systems to make a fair comparison.

to point out some flaws in what you have said, prosumers do have customability, there is the panny fzXX series which has hot shoe. now s5 is also has hot shoe. viewfinder is a valid point but hey, there are also advantages of evf also, you get live preview, don't have to wait for the technology to be finalised on your dslr. in some sense you see dslr copying prosumer as well, hahaha.

besides that, prosumer also can have add on lenses - wide angle, telephoto, you name it, they have it. also have macro lenses to add on. so customability is not as far off as you think.

nonetheless, i would agree that image quality is not that far off from a GOOD p&s. and prosumers also have their flaws, and are limiting after a while, if you shoot a lot and want to experiment a lot more. but not everyone fits into that category. so you'll see why there has to be a consideration whether one starts off with a prosumer with an option to move on to dslr.. or one starts off with dslr. in fact i do know people who move back to prosumer, it's amazing but true, and not all of them are restricted financially.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast