Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Hi guys,

    Haven't post in CS for awhile, how's everyone?

    Need some advice. My home area can receive some indonesian & malaysian channels if I use a external antenna, but the trouble is I have to pull out the TV cable from my TV to plug in the ext. antenna. I scared in the long run, this action will spoil the connection point on my TV.

    So I got a combiner switch kinda plug from my neighbourhood store where I can plug both ext. antenna and TV cable in and switch between them without physically plugging in and out from my TV, but the signal weakens alot.

    So my question is, how can I plug in both ext. antenna and TV cable into my TV and still get good reception and signals? Is there a better switch out there that amplified signal? If any of you come across something like that or used before some good gadget, please recommend me. I'm alittle too tied up by work to go shopping or hunting for it.

    Thanks for your help in advance
    Max 2.8

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    get a booster lor... i bought 1 and well, never use it, cos no use for it...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    get a booster lor... i bought 1 and well, never use it, cos no use for it...
    no use? Is it not good? How does the booster look like? How to use it?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    Hi guys,

    Haven't post in CS for awhile, how's everyone?

    Need some advice. My home area can receive some indonesian & malaysian channels if I use a external antenna, but the trouble is I have to pull out the TV cable from my TV to plug in the ext. antenna. I scared in the long run, this action will spoil the connection point on my TV.

    So I got a combiner switch kinda plug from my neighbourhood store where I can plug both ext. antenna and TV cable in and switch between them without physically plugging in and out from my TV, but the signal weakens alot.

    So my question is, how can I plug in both ext. antenna and TV cable into my TV and still get good reception and signals? Is there a better switch out there that amplified signal? If any of you come across something like that or used before some good gadget, please recommend me. I'm alittle too tied up by work to go shopping or hunting for it.

    Thanks for your help in advance
    Max 2.8
    Get an old VCR, plug your antenna into it and use it to tune to your air stations and use the AV outputs to your TV.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Get an old VCR, plug your antenna into it and use it to tune to your air stations and use the AV outputs to your TV.
    but like that my TV cable will be useless. The ext antenna doesn't receive local channels well, so the TV cable is still needed. The ext. antenna is more for malaysian and indonesian channels.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    no use? Is it not good? How does the booster look like? How to use it?
    mine got 2 channel in, 1 channel out, with a tuner to amplify. its blue in color.

    bought for fun, thought can increase power of the starhub signal... cos i see the digital set top when its out was 90+% so i wanna see can hoot 100% anot, then i boost it, totally see nothing...lol
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    mine got 2 channel in, 1 channel out, with a tuner to amplify. its blue in color.

    bought for fun, thought can increase power of the starhub signal... cos i see the digital set top when its out was 90+% so i wanna see can hoot 100% anot, then i boost it, totally see nothing...lol
    Hmmm... so can plug TV cable and ext. antenna and plug into TV with a boosted signal? if you don't mind, can shoot a picture and show me? so I can go SL tower to look for it.

    Thanks hor
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 7th November 2007 at 05:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    if you don't mind, can shoot a picture and show me? so I can go SL tower to look for it.

    Thanks hor
    i have to find it 1st... can lend it to you since my place dun use antenna, all with set top boxes.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i have to find it 1st... can lend it to you since my place dun use antenna, all with set top boxes.
    no need lah...pai say...never even met up before, how can borrow your things...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    but like that my TV cable will be useless. The ext antenna doesn't receive local channels well, so the TV cable is still needed. The ext. antenna is more for malaysian and indonesian channels.
    Your TV cable goes into your TV and use your TV to tune the local channels. Turn on the VCR only when you want to watch the M'sian, Indon channels.

    I am using SCV, so here is how I connect..

    Wall SCV box -> Set Top Box
    -> TV RF in

    External antenna -> DVD Recorder RF in

    Set top box AV out -> TV AV in
    -> AV switch to RF Transmitter to room TV
    -> DVD recorder AV in

    DVD Recorder AV out -> AV switch to RF transmitter to room TV
    DVD Recorder YUV out -> TV DVD in

    If I want to watch local channels, I just select the channel on the TV.
    If I want to watch SCV channels, I select the appropriate AV in from the set top box.
    If I want to watch channels from external antenna, I select DVD and select channel from DVD.
    If I want to record local/SCV channels, I select AV in from set top box using the DVD recorder.
    If I want to record from external antenna, I just select the channel from the DVD recorder.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th November 2007 at 05:24 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Your TV cable goes into your TV and use your TV to tune the local channels. Turn on the VCR only when you want to watch the M'sian, Indon channels.
    Orh....good idea leh. But my tiny tv shelf is full liao...Thanks for your advice, anyway.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    no need lah...pai say...never even met up before, how can borrow your things...
    well, i got no use mah, sekali u buy liao also no use how? so i just lend u, u see if it works anot lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Your TV cable goes into your TV and use your TV to tune the local channels. Turn on the VCR only when you want to watch the M'sian, Indon channels.
    Errrr. I a bit lost with your suggestion Bro. So the TV cable goes to the TV. And the external antenna goes to the VCR, but how does the VCR connect to the TV?

    TIA for clarifying.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Errrr. I a bit lost with your suggestion Bro. So the TV cable goes to the TV. And the external antenna goes to the VCR, but how does the VCR connect to the TV?

    TIA for clarifying.
    via composite/svideo/component cable lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Errrr. I a bit lost with your suggestion Bro. So the TV cable goes to the TV. And the external antenna goes to the VCR, but how does the VCR connect to the TV?

    TIA for clarifying.
    The Audio/AV input on the TV, I think...usually its represented by red, white for audio and yellow for video. correct or not huh?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    The Audio/AV input on the TV, I think...usually its represented by red, white for audio and yellow for video. correct or not huh?
    thats composite...

    for higher end vcr, there is s-video.

    if dvd-hdd recorder, there is component. alot better than composite and s-video.

    but for input of the coaxial... all these seem overkill...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Your TV cable goes into your TV and use your TV to tune the local channels. Turn on the VCR only when you want to watch the M'sian, Indon channels.

    I am using SCV, so here is how I connect..

    Wall SCV box -> Set Top Box
    -> TV RF in

    External antenna -> DVD Recorder RF in

    Set top box AV out -> TV AV in
    -> AV switch to RF Transmitter to room TV
    -> DVD recorder AV in

    DVD Recorder AV out -> AV switch to RF transmitter to room TV
    DVD Recorder YUV out -> TV DVD in

    If I want to watch local channels, I just select the channel on the TV.
    If I want to watch SCV channels, I select the appropriate AV in from the set top box.
    If I want to watch channels from external antenna, I select DVD and select channel from DVD.
    If I want to record local/SCV channels, I select AV in from set top box using the DVD recorder.
    If I want to record from external antenna, I just select the channel from the DVD recorder.
    Should have consulted you earlier...I just bought a dvd player liao... cannot buy recorder...wasted...

  18. #18
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    via composite/svideo/component cable lor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    The Audio/AV input on the TV, I think...usually its represented by red, white for audio and yellow for video. correct or not huh?
    Ah! Got it! Thanks for the clarifications, DCA & Max.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    My TV audio & video input still free... Is it possible or is there any kind of convertor that convert the TV cable kinda plug to a video and audio cable?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Need advice: TV antenna & TV cable together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    My TV audio & video input still free... Is it possible or is there any kind of convertor that convert the TV cable kinda plug to a video and audio cable?
    got but not worth it...

    its as good as getting a tuner box.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •