Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: jappanese sallary

Default Re: jappanese sallary

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    before the talk gets more and more exaggerated, maybe i can help clarify some things since i live in Tokyo. generally the streets of Tokyo are as safe as you can get in Singapore. it's true that migrants and foreigners on working permits have become a social issue in Japan, but this is true for any other countries and it's no surprise how people are quick to always point to certain group(s) for convenient answers.

blackandwhite, Shinjuku is a huge area. the part of Shinjuku well known by all tourists is generally safe. the only parts that're questionable are 1. the red light area, a.k.a. Kabuki-cho, off the eastern exit of Shinjuku train station, and 2. Okubo, just outside Shinjuku, where a high percentage of people living there are from China, Korea and rest of Asia (including South and Southeast Asia.) people go to Kabuki-cho for night entertainment like karaoke, drinking at izakaya and other activities you find happening in Geylang as well. as for Okubo, due to the high concentration of migrants and foreigners, crime rate is high relative to the rest of Tokyo. but the language school i went to last year is located in Higashi Nagano, just 1 train station away from Okubo, and my classmates and i often frequent the shops and restaurants around Okubo without running into problems so far (that's a comparatively high crime rate area as mentioned.)

gangster activities have been a problem in Japanese society since hundreds of years back, i'm sure you heard of the term ''yakuza,'' but their activities are usually confined to places like Kabuki-cho. you can find them in pubs and clubs as well, and since Roppongi is a famous clubbing area, don't be surprised the guy sitting next to you is a yakuza when you go there for a drink. but their activites are confined. as long as you don't get into unnecessary fights or argument or go around flaunting your wealth, as most normal people don't, there's a negligible chance of getting into trouble and disputes.

most people do not stay out late as well since most shops close by 8.30pm. staying out is extremely expensive since missing the last train after midnight and taking a cab home will generally mean you need to spend maybe S$100-S$300 on the cab fare depending on where you stay. if you choose to stay out all night, then you're responsible for your own actions. i've explored Ginza area in the hours passed midnight before alone while waiting for the fish market to open. i can say it's pretty safe, though i cannot say the same for problematic places mentioned above.
    wah, nice tips u have there. really appreciate that.
    Well, i've been informed that there will be another engineer also vietnamese join me for the training so i'll share with him. If that's the case then the housing would cost me $500 is it?

haha, not sure if i should take the position when there is less pay and more expense. But the trade off is living in a country i've never been before.

Quote Originally Posted by htthach View Post
    wah, nice tips u have there. really appreciate that.
    Well, i've been informed that there will be another engineer also vietnamese join me for the training so i'll share with him. If that's the case then the housing would cost me $500 is it?

haha, not sure if i should take the position when there is less pay and more expense. But the trade off is living in a country i've never been before.
    it's really up to your bargaining skills to balance off the difference between your current pay and the offer you got. rent prices varies depending on where you're getting your room, i don't think you can rent a place for S$500, that's a little low, maybe available in inconvenient locations. S$700 to S$800 sounds more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    it's really up to your bargaining skills to balance off the difference between your current pay and the offer you got. rent prices varies depending on where you're getting your room, i don't think you can rent a place for S$500, that's a little low, maybe available in inconvenient locations. S$700 to S$800 sounds more realistic.
    oh, 1 mean $500 each person, roughly $1k ?

Quote Originally Posted by htthach View Post
    oh, 1 mean $500 each person, roughly $1k ?
    should be good enough. but take note that when you pay for rent, the first time payment will require you to pay service fee + 1st month payment (some include 2nd as well) + 1 month worth of deposit (might be returnable upon end of contract, some landlord use that money to pay for repairs and cleaning) terms will differ with different real estate agencies.

I like to buy the bento set at the Convenient Store, a.k.a 7-11,Family Mart, Lawson etc. It cost about $4-$7 per meal and ask them to micro wave it for you, free!! Buying bento set at Jusco supermarket is also cheap, about the same price as in Convenient stores but more choice.

If you go around 8-9pm they will have discount to clear all the bento set, sushi etc at 20% and above. Search for drinks that are nearing expire date and get 50% off !!! Not forgetting the super delicious instant noodles that comes in a bowl, some have the same standard as the restaurant, S$2 - S$3 Lots of instant food at cheap price too Fast food joint like Matsu-ya where you go to a machine to choose and pay before sitting down at the counter to eat is one of my favorite joint (you can take away too). Another favorite is Wa-ko selling Tonkatsu ( Fried pork cuttlet) Order the set meal and get free unlimited refill of rice, miso and cabbage, S$10 - S$18 !!!! Johnathan Family Restaurant and Royal Host are operating 24hr, prices range from $7 - $15 for a meal. Food in Japan is not really that expansive in Japan if you know where to go (but of course you can't compare it to Singapore and Bangkok)
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123