Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jappanese sallary

Default Re: jappanese sallary

If u are age below 30, single, no house loan, no car loan, then I think its a golden opportunity to be able to go overseas to work, whether its Japan or Vietnam. Your experience will ensure that u will be "employable" for yr next 10-15 years. Just make sure u understand the tax system before u sign the employment letter, not many countries have low tax like Singapore.

take it from me

girls everywhere are overrated as a whole

i'm a vietnamese 23 yrs old
    graduated with one year experience
    but i'm under tuition loan
    so i'm still paying off my debt.

I would say if you are single and besides your study loan, have no other committments then go ahead. Not many people gets an opportunity to work in Tokyo. If you go, you work there, your entire work exposure will broaden vastly as compared to working here. If you need any tips with Tokyo, Im sure there will be many here who are able to offer you advice. I believe Uncle Tom is there now. May you can try pm him.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    what about their weddings? do they start on time too? i really hate wedding here... can start 1 or 2 hours later than what was mentioned in the card.
    My record was an solid effing 2hrs.

And of cos, guess what? The dumb thing abt "The more senior u are, the later you shld come. More 'face' for ppl to wait for u."

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    erm..... 2000 yen daily for food in japan seems to be the killer leh..... i think its impossible for me to do it...

eg. those scrambled egg chicken bowl almost always 1000 yen already, then the smaller other bowls of food are around 800-900 at least le... then if we buy the drinks from vending machine = about 150-200yen a bottle/can, then if buy 2-3 bottles/can for a day = almost 500yen already..

somehow, i think i am too used to living in singapore already... i cant imagine myself staying for months in japan..

on a sidenote: the girls in tokyo are
    2000Yen is do-able unless you are one heck of a big eater.

On your sidenote, maybe you're lucky, maybe my expectations are low, but a good friend got his illusion shattered to bits... by his very own eyes.

dunno about you but the girls there totally raised my expectations.

Just a few pics of the girls that i manage to shoot over there...

I cant really remember which mrt exit is this, but the girls just stand there in a line, so how u find them? pardon the image quality though.

And wats more, there are free hugs from the girls there !!! wat more can u ask for ???? and yea in case u are wondering, this place is near the mrt exit of harajuku, where all the cosplayers gather there...
    Last edited by kcuf2; 7th November 2007 at 11:38 PM.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Just a few pics of the girls that i manage to shoot over there...

I cant really remember which mrt exit is this, but the girls just stand there in a line, so how u find them? pardon the image quality though.
    Akihabara Station. Looks like the exit leading to the Electric Town.

Usually don't see them on weekdays, Sundays quite alot.

hi guys
    i'm reviving this thread as i received the offer details:
    the base rate is 250k Yen and transport allowance.
    i got no idea how 250k is like to live in Japan man?
    it's like how much S$ to live in Singapore?
    is that a fair pay?

Nothing fantastic, works out to be about 3.3k SGD there abouts.

Take 20% for taxes. If you are going to be working OT till late, you might run into the risk of taking cab back alot and that is gonna take another chunk. Housing, provided then is fine, if not provided, you are looking at another 70~80K gone for rent and utilities. Insurance takes out another portion which varies depend on where you stay too. Roughly speaking you will be looking at about 120K for your transport and food expenses. Still not bad for their standards I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by htthach View Post
    hi guys
    is that a fair pay?
    as told by my jap CTO and from what i experienced during my short stay in our head office in japan, you might start with a not-so-fantastic offer at the beginning but as and when you progress, you will get promoted pretty easily if you are performing. it's very common for a single department with a few managers (senior manager, section manager, manager etc.), as compare to american system, which you have limited chance for progression especially when the management post has already been filled up.

furthermore, my last company has a very interesting way of performance review in japan. it was being done in a monthly basis, instead of yearly to determine how much you should be paid for all the OTs you have done. for example, if you have worked for 50 OT hours for that particular month, they will judge from the outcome of your "hardwork" to determine the payment. if you performed better than expected, they might pay you twice for the OT hours (in this case, 100 OT hours instead of 50) and should you fail to perform, the OT hours are forfeited. i have heard from my counterpart that their OT pay sometimes is higher than their basic salary.

do note that saturday is their "unofficial" working day for most of the companies. you need to turn up for work as usual even though it is an "official" rest day. the workers will give you a funny look if you failed to turn up "on time" as per the usual weekdays working hours.

bonus is very much depending on the company's and your personal's performance. generally it would range from 3-5 months. it's a lot of hard work if you choose to take the japan path but the reward is very tangible. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by htthach View Post
    hi guys
    is that a fair pay?
    sounds ok. find out from your company whether accomodation is provided, if your company has a hostel or shares hostel with bigger companies all the better as company hostels are cheap, safe, clean and comfortable in general. next thing is just getting used to the culture here. i'm sure there're other foreigners in the company, so it might not be difficult

Transport allowance paid is in-terms of train transport (normal)
    Unlikely the company has hostel, so you will have to look for room rental if needed.
    U can go on-line to look for those looking for mates to share apartment cost.
    But u must keep your environment clean to avoid any unhappiness.
    As a rule of thumb, when you are alright among your new friends or working friends, you are alright. Once you are not alright with anyone, even the smallest thing could get you into difficulties/ troubles.
    Cooking is always the cheapest way, but do u have the time?
    There are always good guys and bad guys in company, don be surprise even in their school.

one piece of advice. Try not to share with Mainland Chinese, especially the ones that you do not know or are just acquaintances.

Not being biased here but I heard a lot stories during my time there. Enough to do Crime Watch for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    one piece of advice. Try not to share with Mainland Chinese, especially the ones that you do not know or are just acquaintances.

Not being biased here but I heard a lot stories during my time there. Enough to do Crime Watch for a few seasons.
    My jap counterpart told me the same thing when i was there. not too sure whether are they referring to "Mainland Chinese" or "Chinese" in general.

Due to the fight between Japanese and Chinese gang at popular entertainment area (i.e. shinjuku), I was being advised not to go there alone and it is better to be accompanied by a local jap. They might be exaggerating but better be safe than be sorry.

before the talk gets more and more exaggerated, maybe i can help clarify some things since i live in Tokyo. generally the streets of Tokyo are as safe as you can get in Singapore. it's true that migrants and foreigners on working permits have become a social issue in Japan, but this is true for any other countries and it's no surprise how people are quick to always point to certain group(s) for convenient answers.

blackandwhite, Shinjuku is a huge area. the part of Shinjuku well known by all tourists is generally safe. the only parts that're questionable are 1. the red light area, a.k.a. Kabuki-cho, off the eastern exit of Shinjuku train station, and 2. Okubo, just outside Shinjuku, where a high percentage of people living there are from China, Korea and rest of Asia (including South and Southeast Asia.) people go to Kabuki-cho for night entertainment like karaoke, drinking at izakaya and other activities you find happening in Geylang as well. as for Okubo, due to the high concentration of migrants and foreigners, crime rate is high relative to the rest of Tokyo. but the language school i went to last year is located in Higashi Nagano, just 1 train station away from Okubo, and my classmates and i often frequent the shops and restaurants around Okubo without running into problems so far (that's a comparatively high crime rate area as mentioned.)

gangster activities have been a problem in Japanese society since hundreds of years back, i'm sure you heard of the term ''yakuza,'' but their activities are usually confined to places like Kabuki-cho. you can find them in pubs and clubs as well, and since Roppongi is a famous clubbing area, don't be surprised the guy sitting next to you is a yakuza when you go there for a drink. but their activites are confined. as long as you don't get into unnecessary fights or argument or go around flaunting your wealth, as most normal people don't, there's a negligible chance of getting into trouble and disputes.

most people do not stay out late as well since most shops close by 8.30pm. staying out is extremely expensive since missing the last train after midnight and taking a cab home will generally mean you need to spend maybe S$100-S$300 on the cab fare depending on where you stay. if you choose to stay out all night, then you're responsible for your own actions. i've explored Ginza area in the hours passed midnight before alone while waiting for the fish market to open. i can say it's pretty safe, though i cannot say the same for problematic places mentioned above.
    Last edited by eikin; 27th November 2007 at 10:17 PM.

eikin, that's very informative. thanks for sharing.

Is that the way the Japanese say "peace" with their fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    before the talk gets more and more exaggerated, maybe i can help clarify some things since i live in Tokyo. generally the streets of Tokyo are as safe as you can get in Singapore. it's true that migrants and foreigners on working permits have become a social issue in Japan, but this is true for any other countries and it's no surprise how people are quick to always point to certain group(s) for convenient answers.

blackandwhite, Shinjuku is a huge area. the part of Shinjuku well known by all tourists is generally safe. the only parts that're questionable are 1. the red light area, a.k.a. Kabuki-cho, off the eastern exit of Shinjuku train station, and 2. Okubo, just outside Shinjuku, where a high percentage of people living there are from China, Korea and rest of Asia (including South and Southeast Asia.) people go to Kabuki-cho for night entertainment like karaoke, drinking at izakaya and other activities you find happening in Geylang as well. as for Okubo, due to the high concentration of migrants and foreigners, crime rate is high relative to the rest of Tokyo. but the language school i went to last year is located in Higashi Nagano, just 1 train station away from Okubo, and my classmates and i often frequent the shops and restaurants around Okubo without running into problems so far (that's a comparatively high crime rate area as mentioned.)

gangster activities have been a problem in Japanese society since hundreds of years back, i'm sure you heard of the term ''yakuza,'' but their activities are usually confined to places like Kabuki-cho. you can find them in pubs and clubs as well, and since Roppongi is a famous clubbing area, don't be surprised the guy sitting next to you is a yakuza when you go there for a drink. but their activites are confined. as long as you don't get into unnecessary fights or argument or go around flaunting your wealth, as most normal people don't, there's a negligible chance of getting into trouble and disputes.

most people do not stay out late as well since most shops close by 8.30pm. staying out is extremely expensive since missing the last train after midnight and taking a cab home will generally mean you need to spend maybe S$100-S$300 on the cab fare depending on where you stay. if you choose to stay out all night, then you're responsible for your own actions. i've explored Ginza area in the hours passed midnight before alone while waiting for the fish market to open. i can say it's pretty safe, though i cannot say the same for problematic places mentioned above.
    Yakuza, Gangster or crime activity is the same everywhere in the whole. Same so either in SG or JP, you can sit next to a gangster, have a few drinks with him while watching sports and not be bothered at all. My school was less than 100m from a Yakuza office and they were friendly.

Just back to the topic on hand here. Housing in JPN, if you are going to be sharing an apartment, just pick your mates carefully.
    Last edited by TMC; 28th November 2007 at 01:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast