Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA) 2008

Default Re: 2nd Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA) 2008

It's probably better to be safe than sorry.
    But having said that, be safe, not boring.

In animal photography I frequently see photos classified as 'animal portraits'. However in the general photography mindset, I don't know how widely that is accepted. There will always be things that blur the boundary however. If it's a photo of a dog in a primarily urban landscape, then how do we classify that? Is it really 'nature'? Or is it an 'animal portrait'? Or perhaps it doesn't fit any of the categories at all because there isn't a category such as 'urban' or 'street scene' etc.

It's always debatable as to where things fit. Personally, I would accept an 'animal portrait' as a 'portrait', however I do not know if the organizers think the same. It'd be interesting to have some input on this.

hi would like to know... the black mounting board.. what size is ideal? i printed 8 by 10 pictures.

What mounting board should we use? Last year I used those black card as mounting.

I'm old for this... poor! hix hix hix...
    Flickr | Deviantart
    Mobile: 9121 9366

Quote Originally Posted by schon View Post
    8" x 10" is 8R. dunno if i shld bother again.
    i find it a bit weird that in the digital age, they still want you to print

i am too busy to print, sighhh

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

They are probably too busy to print themselves...so they get participants to print it and mount it nicely. They can instantly take any picture to the exhibition hall if it's already nicely done up in this manner.

hi! i'm going to print out my pictures pretty soon. could someone suggest a good place to print them out? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanielee View Post
    hi! i'm going to print out my pictures pretty soon. could someone suggest a good place to print them out? thanks!
    miao laan?

grace too!
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Color Lab is good too! Printed for the NAPE over there.

heard KT is not bad as well.
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

actually, i feel that photos are best appreciated and thus judged in their printed form. a printed photograph invokes a very different feel and experience.

after all, no two monitors will output the exact same picture. at least for a print, you know that what you have in your hands will be what they will be judging.

actually, i feel that photos are best appreciated and thus judged in their printed form. a printed photograph invokes a very different feel and experience.

after all, no two monitors will output the exact same picture. at least for a print, you know that what you have in your hands will be what they will be judging.
    well, from the last experience of my photograph being printed for a random reason ..

the output of the print was horrible compared to what my photograph looked like on my monitor

my swan photo became a.. roast swan photo.. the printing lab the people used.. i don't know what they did.. lower the gamma damn badly

anyways, there's always next time.. after all i wasn't planning to come back to sg this time.

well, from the last experience of my photograph being printed for a random reason ..

the output of the print was horrible compared to what my photograph looked like on my monitor

my swan photo became a.. roast swan photo.. the printing lab the people used.. i don't know what they did.. lower the gamma damn badly

anyways, there's always next time.. after all i wasn't planning to come back to sg this time.
    roast swan. tell the lab not to do anything to your photos lah?

roast swan. tell the lab not to do anything to your photos lah?
    hahahaha my school handled it, not me.. already flying in a week or so.. and still having to cover the syllabus for this year, coming home is quite a huge distraction or rather, provides loads of huge distractions

anyways, good luck to all participants, most importantly, please have fun - maybe take the chance if you don't usually print to print a few out for your own pleasure, no?

hahahaha my school handled it, not me.. already flying in a week or so.. and still having to cover the syllabus for this year, coming home is quite a huge distraction or rather, provides loads of huge distractions

anyways, good luck to all participants, most importantly, please have fun - maybe take the chance if you don't usually print to print a few out for your own pleasure, no?
    haha. enjoy your last week back here.

Which shop renders the best images on print, closest to that of the digital image? I tried KT 2 yrs ago, and the prints came out my contrasted than the image.

Hmm what kind of mounting board should I use?

Go for grace ..

I'm printing my one over there ...
    Canon User Since SLR 888
    Owner of 5D mark III

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Which shop renders the best images on print, closest to that of the digital image? I tried KT 2 yrs ago, and the prints came out my contrasted than the image.

Hmm what kind of mounting board should I use?
    For mounting boards, the ones at Popular with black on one side and beige on the other -- something like solid but thin cardboard.

Argh still cropping photos now, haha.
    Olympus Now and Forever

If can, go to those wo lu area and buy ..

Popular is very expensive .. sucks

My sch selling 1 buck for 8 x 14 inc blackboard card ..lol
    Canon User Since SLR 888
    Owner of 5D mark III

Just thought to add that I bought the mounting board at Art Friend and did printing at Miao Laan. The mounting board wasn't overly expensive but certainly not $1 a piece, as far as I remember. Grab one of their rulers while shopping for a mounting board and you can work out an imaginary 8X12" image on the mounting boards available to see what is most suitable.

These mounting boards are black on one side and white on the other. Naturally, the images go on the black side and the information goes on the white side. I didn't see anything in the rulings regarding the use of borders in images, so when I submitted images for the first competition two years ago I went with a narrow white border around each image. This year I've decided not to print with any borders at all.

At Miao Laan they also have a colour calibration profile for their printers that they can send to you, if I remember correctly. If you're very colour conscious then get in touch with them and ask about it. When printing there in the past, I never needed to ask for a profile and just left the images to them to do as they pleased. The results usually came out spot-on. But in one particular extremely hi-key wedding image I found the printing result seemed somewhat grey compared to the bright white I remember seeing on my computer screen.

Whether that was because they dimmed the image prior to printing or whether my screen wasn't correctly calibrated, I cannot say. But with the exception of that, other images were great. Another surprising thing is that the images looked a lot better when printed compared to being viewed on-screen. It was a pleasant thing to note that even if something wasn't pin-sharp at 100% on screen, it certainly turned out convincingly on prints.

This probably supports the point that pixel peeping creates unnecessary worry. Even images from a 'noisy' camera turned out excellent on an 8X12" print.

So...get printing, folks! I wish I were still in Singapore, and I'd get more of my images printed, just for fun. Better framed up on the wall than languishing unseen on a computer hard disk.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast