Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Marco shooting

  1. #1
    Member blurblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    345

    Default Marco shooting

    Hi, I just brought a marco len, but dun know how to use it.

    Is it just switch to Marco mode, then point & shoot?

    If the len stated 90mm, then I must stand far far to shoot or can I go near to the object (like insect). Cos I see the pro here shoot the insect very very nice, some even can see the eye of the dragonfly.


    Can any pro here teach me?

  2. #2
    Senior Member DewaKarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jurong east
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: Marco shooting

    ahh...new toy huh...

    macro shots r always in MF mode. u need to focus manually. u need steady hands while shooting macro...if u shoot in AF mode...u need to stand further but ur pics wun be as sharp as when u focus in manual mode ..when u can move up close and personal to the object u r taking...
    Last edited by DewaKarma; 6th November 2007 at 08:03 PM.
    G-Collector

  3. #3

    Default Re: Marco shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblur View Post
    Hi, I just brought a marco len, but dun know how to use it.

    Is it just switch to Marco mode, then point & shoot?

    If the len stated 90mm, then I must stand far far to shoot or can I go near to the object (like insect). Cos I see the pro here shoot the insect very very nice, some even can see the eye of the dragonfly.


    Can any pro here teach me?
    Buy a steady tripod 1st... unless using flash...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Marco shooting

    i think u would still be a long way from shooting the eye of a dragonfly..haha..cause that requires skill, patience and equipment..
    macro shots are most often taken in manual mode cause the AF might accidentally try to focus on the bg and not ur object.
    also one other thing which is almost a must for shooting macro is a remote control.. if u dun have this, i almost guarantee u that all ur macro shots will be blur...
    for macro shots, simplicity is the key...try and experiment first and see what works and wat doesn't.
    u can take wonderful macro shots of anything around u...even ur stationery.
    have fun =)

  5. #5
    Member blurblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    345

    Default Re: Marco shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    i think u would still be a long way from shooting the eye of a dragonfly..haha..cause that requires skill, patience and equipment..
    macro shots are most often taken in manual mode cause the AF might accidentally try to focus on the bg and not ur object.
    also one other thing which is almost a must for shooting macro is a remote control.. if u dun have this, i almost guarantee u that all ur macro shots will be blur...
    for macro shots, simplicity is the key...try and experiment first and see what works and wat doesn't.
    u can take wonderful macro shots of anything around u...even ur stationery.
    have fun =)

    Thanks bro.

    Lucky I have a remote control

  6. #6
    Member BigRooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: Marco shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblur View Post
    Hi, I just brought a marco len, but dun know how to use it.

    Is it just switch to Marco mode, then point & shoot?

    If the len stated 90mm, then I must stand far far to shoot or can I go near to the object (like insect). Cos I see the pro here shoot the insect very very nice, some even can see the eye of the dragonfly.
    You mean switch to the Macro mode with the 'flower'? I have known in general people using Manual or Aperture Priority ... more control. Using Macro mode is to let the camera decide aperture etc for you.

    For the focusing, as fellow CSers have pointed out, MF may be the way to go, and again, for more control and maybe accuracy.

    You need very steady hands, but more often, a tripod+remote cable release will be very helpful.

    Experience more and learn along the way ... me learning too

  7. #7

    Default Re: Marco shooting

    oh yeah.. forgot to mention.. haha.. i'm a fan of macro shots too..mayb u can check out my shots and tell mi what u think =)
    and if u haven't gotten a good tripod by now...u should go get it. haha
    tripod, remote control are a must for macro shooting

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Macro shooting

    Not really...

    my macro shots are largely done handheld and with a flash. This gives me the control to move about fast and shoot the insects before they skitter off...

    With macro shooting, you have to note the aperture choice and also the amount of light you need to get the subject lit up. If there is not enough light, then I'd suggest using a flash to light up the scene.

    Practise on still life objects and see if you can get it into sharp focus first. Then move on progressively to less skitterish insects like ants, spiders, etc before you take on more difficult subjects like butterflies, dragonflies, etc...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9

    Default Re: Macro shooting

    First thing to learn is that's it's "Macro", not "Marco".
    Alpha

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Macro shooting

    For me, if I am shooting insects, i'd use a monopod or handheld. More often than never, the subject I am taking will have taken off well before I can get the tripod set up. I only use tripod on occasions where I am very sure that my subject will not fly off, ie when they are resting or feeding.

  11. #11
    Member blurblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    345

    Default Re: Macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    First thing to learn is that's it's "Macro", not "Marco".


    Haaaaaaaaaaaa

    My singlish is good rite

  12. #12
    Member blurblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    345

    Default Re: Marco shooting

    Now i have the camera, tripod, flash, remote control. Will test it on my flower.

    Maybe use sticky glue to catch fly for testing. haaaaaaaaaa

  13. #13

    Default Re: Macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    my macro shots are largely done handheld and with a flash. This gives me the control to move about fast and shoot the insects before they skitter off...
    I agree. Macro with flash can replace tripod. Sometimes I set up tripod for the things that won't run away like flowers and plants. I never use a remote control or cable release - got a very stable tripod.

    Oh, when doing macro, DOF becomes very important. Do bare that in mind.
    - Luenny

  14. #14

    Default Re: Macro shooting

    i always use a tripod & remote control and no flash for my macro shoot. need some time n patience to set everything up so practise on flowers first. also beware of wind. any slight movement of the flower may cause blurness if your shutter speed is low.

    also review and do exposure compensation if neccesary
    :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •