Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aperture for DSLR

Default Re: Aperture for DSLR

i also think nowadays the new lens don't have the ring..
    1:3.5-5.6 is for those lens that u can zoom..
    those with fix f stop, is those prime lens...
    but no matter what, to get f5.6 - f22, it can be set on the body itself.

Quote Originally Posted by xxhellinvaderxx View Post
    orh...okay...so basically, to put it into simple words/sentence

if there is aperture ring on lens, use that
    if threre is no aperture ring on lens, then use body to adjust...correct???

Erm...but if there is aperture ring on lens, can i use body to adjust too?
    Depends on camera system and lenses. For example, in Nikon, G lenses are without aperture ring and the aperture is controlled through the camera body. Non G lenses have aperture ring and you can manually adjust the aperture on the lens or control it through the camera body. Apertures on most modern lenses are always on the lens, and different lenses have different max and min aperture sizes, so when you see a lens of e.g 50mm f/2.8, it means the widest aperture of the lens is f/2.8, while a lens of e.g. 70-210mm f/4-5.6 means the widest aperture varies when you zoom, and it is f/4 at 70mm and f/5.6 at 210mm.

there are zoom lens wif constant F stop also

wow, zoom lens with constant F stop is X!!! lol

yea i want to buy also no $$$
    it big and bulky also

if u the eye to take pictures, i think it's ok to start off with any camera n later upgrade!

err TS u dun mind OT a bit ah
    yup. kitlens works fine. but when u do weddings low lighting and nd fast shutter speeds to freeze tt when u nd more lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by i-link View Post
    wow, zoom lens with constant F stop is X!!! lol
    Well, that's true only for constant aperture lenses that has large aperture. E.g. Nikon has an old lens 70-210mm f/4 that is with constant aperture and not very expensive. The trick to maintain constant aperture is that the lens must have a mechanical cam to vary the aperture size when zooming. Interesting right? Yes to maintain constant aperture you must vary the aperture. This is because the amount of light reduces when you zoom to the longer end, and in order to maintain the same exposure the lens needs to open up the aperture. That is the reason why aperture is denoted as f/(f-stop number), which basically means a ratio between the focal length (f) and f-stop number (2.8, 4, 5.6, etc).

Btw, have a look at this very well written photography notes for newbies, prepared by one of our own moderator.

Hi guys sorry for reviving this thread.
    I myself is also in a dilemma on f-stop lens.

People say that f/2.8 is good for fast action.However i want a lens that is used for general purpose(everything first,since im a newbie),so which f stop is the "best" general value?
    I worry that if i get f/2.8 lens,it would not function well in some situation.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post

you can read up a bit here

OT: you play badminton on sundays, right?
    bleh...i got spotted...hahahaha..yeah...din know u were in here too...=)

Quote Originally Posted by ceecookie View Post

People say that f/2.8 is good for fast action.However i want a lens that is used for general purpose(everything first,since im a newbie),so which f stop is the "best" general value?
    eh..i m a newb here also..hahaha...hm..imo, have a wide range of f stop would serve u well...like frm 2.8 to f22...

if you are going for macro, get those F2.8 or lesser ones as they tend to give the bokeh effect...

Actually i am not a dslr user here..using Sony h9...but then sad thing is that there F stop only offers till f8...which is a very sad thing if i were to take waterfall shots in the day as it usually will be overblown...

erm..correct mi if i'm wrong...still holding the L license plate =P
    Last edited by xxhellinvaderxx; 11th November 2007 at 11:39 AM.

So far for Zoom lens, the biggest aperture u can get is F2.8. For anything bigger, like 1.8, 1.4 or 1.2, you have to get prime lens. Remember, bigger the aperure, the more light it can capture, pic will be brighter and AF will be faster.

For all situations, I would suggest getting a zoom lens with constant F2.8 like the Tamron 17-50mm. Good for wide angle(17mm) and portraits(at 50mm) but not good if you need zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    So far for Zoom lens, the biggest aperture u can get is F2.8. For anything bigger, like 1.8, 1.4 or 1.2, you have to get prime lens. Remember, bigger the aperure, the more light it can capture, pic will be brighter and AF will be faster.

For all situations, I would suggest getting a zoom lens with constant F2.8 like the Tamron 17-50mm. Good for wide angle(17mm) and portraits(at 50mm) but not good if you need zoom.
    I did some research and i think i answered my own qns.
    What i was confused was about the aperture range.i.e was the 2.8 constant and only that value or u can adjust to lower like F/22?
    So to confirm,by getting the Tamron f/2.8,can i adjust the aperture to say,F/5.6 or F/10 all the way to the max?

The Lens specification always states the laregst aperture size that the lens can go to. You can close it down smaller (to F22 typically) but do read the specifications of the lens. Some lens aperture can go as small as F32 but try not to go to such small aperture as diffraction effect will set in and the lens could not effectively resolve for details at such aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    So far for Zoom lens, the biggest aperture u can get is F2.8.
    Not forgetting that Olympus has a Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm (70-200) F2.0 and a new ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm (28-70mm) F2.0 SWD

I did some research and i think i answered my own qns.
    What i was confused was about the aperture range.i.e was the 2.8 constant and only that value or u can adjust to lower like F/22?
    So to confirm,by getting the Tamron f/2.8,can i adjust the aperture to say,F/5.6 or F/10 all the way to the max?
    f/2.8 is the max aperture. You can always stop down the lens to smaller apertures like f/5.6, f/11, f/16, etc.

Most lens can stop down all the way to f/22 and some beyond that (usually macro lenses). But there are a few lenses that will go only to f/16. And there are the mirror lenses with only 1 fixed aperture.

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 13th November 2007 at 02:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12