Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a cheap/good/fuel efficient sedan car to buy?

Default Re: What's a cheap/good/fuel efficient sedan car to buy?

Not all Korean car r fuel drinkers......Hyundai Getz 1.1 happen to be the top 5 best FC car locally.

The Jazz/Fit tat have good FC are the i-DSI engine....save on fuel, but spent more on maintenance....it use 8 spark plugs. However there's new one which use i-Vtec engine and from the civic reviews, it should give good FC too Not to forget it's over 100bhp
    As for Lancer GLX , lots of bad review years ago but recently seems ok lah. However overall n FC wise not impressive to me at all........A 1.6 Korean car can also hit 12-13km/l under normal driving.
    Toyota....lots of problem cos QC not very good now-a-days......

For my choice of car under $60K (I'm not into Nissan cars other than Skyline)
    - Honda Jazz/Fit
    - Honda City (Better if u can wait for i-Vtec, should be next year)
    - Toyota Yaris
    - Suzuki SX4
    - Mazda 2

Korean car dun lack in quality n build, they had improve so much over the year. Cheap parts, low insurance cost and low maintenance cost r wat Japan car dun offer anymore .....
    Wat they r lacking is the export value and demand.....damn low......
    BTW, I'm driving Getz 1.6(M) for almost 3 year wif average FC of 12.5km/l.....heavy footer at times, so is this a drinker?
    Last edited by Getz10; 6th November 2007 at 10:58 PM.
    Minolta 7D Noob
    WWW.TERRYCHUA.COM

I would recommend the Toyota Vios. It would be even better to get it second hand.

The Toyota Vios is very reliable. Pick up is relatively quick. It is easy to steer, drive and park.

My fuel consumption ranges from 19km/l on mainly cruising 70% expressways to about 15km/l on road driving.

One negative feedback would be: It's small. If you are a large driver, the passenger behind might be a little squeezed.

Other than that, it's really dependent on the way you drive, and the feel of the car.
    tSkye shoots whatever comes tSkye's way... | 5D2, 1224, 16FE, 35L, 1.4xTC, 300L

Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    I would recommend the Toyota Vios. It would be even better to get it second hand.

The Toyota Vios is very reliable. Pick up is relatively quick. It is easy to steer, drive and park.

My fuel consumption ranges from 19km/l on mainly cruising 70% expressways to about 15km/l on road driving.

One negative feedback would be: It's small. If you are a large driver, the passenger behind might be a little squeezed.

Other than that, it's really dependent on the way you drive, and the feel of the car.

19km/l mean your car can hit 760km base on 40l tank......tat's the milage for Hybrid.
    Do u really knw how to count FC

I have 3 friends driving Vios (M) wif average FC of 13 to 13.5km/l or maybe yours is just better
    Last edited by Getz10; 6th November 2007 at 11:07 PM.
    Minolta 7D Noob
    WWW.TERRYCHUA.COM

Actually, I did use the word "about" and if you would like to know, it's actually 608km travelled with a top up of 32.25 litres. Please do the math yourself.

Actually, I did use the word "about" and if you would like to know, it's actually 608km travelled with a top up of 32.25 litres. Please do the math yourself.

Wow, every tank can hit tis milage....it time to buy Vios
    Honda i-DSI engine can eat dirt liao

Then again maybe dun go beyond 80km/h, off aircon, small rim wif overinflat tyre, no load...............
    Last edited by Getz10; 6th November 2007 at 11:23 PM.
    Minolta 7D Noob
    WWW.TERRYCHUA.COM

New Vios or the old one? I heard the new one is slightly less fuel efficient but slightly more spacious. I'm looking at the catalog right now and may be leaning towards it. Anyone with comments on the new vios? Which model to get? J, E or go all the way for G? J has the advantage of being the cheapest with only 1 SRS which means baby seat can go in front. G has the advantage of having disc brakes on all 4 wheels.. Is that important?

That's still about 18.5km/l. Impressive!! It's known to be better than City i-DSI but I didn't know it's that good!

Quote Originally Posted by Getz10 View Post
    Then again maybe dun go beyond 80km/h, off aircon, small rim wif overinflat tyre, no load...............
    As I said, I am giving the TS a recommendation based on my experience. It will show the worst case and the best case I have achieved so far. And as I concluded, it really depends on the way you drive and the feel of the car. In this aspect, I aim just merely trying to offer him a point of view. Disclaimer would be: I am not a spokesperson from Toyota.

If you are really so interested in fuel consumption, here are a few tips:
    - Yes indeed, 80kmph would be optimal for the Vios as it hovers around 2000rpm.
    - Drive smoothly, pick up slowly and travel and a steady pace.
    - Look ahead, take your foot off the pedal and the car will slow down by itself, without the need for braking.

Here is how I drive and some facts:
    - I pump Octane 95.
    - I pick up slowly, keeping the revs at 2-2.5k while shifting from gear to gear.
    - I travel on expressways 70% of the time, keeping into the middle lane as I build speed.
    - By the time I hit 80kmph @ 2krpm, I filter to lane one and travel for the rest of the journey at 100kmph @ 2.5krpm.
    - A fuel saving device, Torquet, is installed.
    - My Vios is silver and stock, with 14" rims at 230 pressure.
    - The Vios has a fuel tank of 45L, inclusive of emergency fuel.

I cannot be certain whether your cynical comments are directed as a personal attack to me or my opinion but nontheless, I do not wish to get into an argument from different car camps. In fact, I was actually contemplating between the Honda City i-DSI (which I think is very good) and the Vios but the lower price led me to the Toyota.

Obviously, should you upgrade to larger, albeit heavier, rims and perhaps add body kits, spoilers and after market mufflers to improve the performance and looks of your car, you would definitely have to face the fact that your fuel consumption will increase. Thus, your urge to dash off the traffic lights, beat the fastest vehicle on the road and rev loudly to attract passerbys, will definitely result in such a drop in KM/L.

Upon reading the title, I can only assume that the TS is looking for a cheap/good/fuel efficient car for day to day travels. This would mean having a stock car for convenience purposes. It is unlikely that he would be taking this car for a race on some track in Malaysia, nor would he dashing down the streets with his family in the car.

I am only replying to your comments as I do feel these pointers might benefit those who read it, especially the TS. Please do not misunderstand this as something offensive against you. If it came across that way, I do apologise. If there is something further you wish to discuss with me, please feel free to PM me instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    New Vios or the old one? I heard the new one is slightly less fuel efficient but slightly more spacious. I'm looking at the catalog right now and may be leaning towards it. Anyone with comments on the new vios? Which model to get? J, E or go all the way for G? J has the advantage of being the cheapest with only 1 SRS which means baby seat can go in front. G has the advantage of having disc brakes on all 4 wheels.. Is that important?
    The car was bought second hand and registered in November 04, that means it is now 3 years old. I have only seen, not driven, the new version on the road. Thus, I am unable to give a proper assessment. However, my old Vios does have brakes on all four wheels. I do not claim to be a very technical person however, I personally feel safer having more brakes.

The newer versions are longer, so it is safe to assume that its interior is more spacious. I personally would not pick the J as it only has an air bag for the driver. Fuel wise, your mileage may vary. It all depends on the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Okie.. point taken about Jazz.. so I guess since my wife is not really for hatchbacks, the lack of boot space should turn me away from it also. The price shown on Honda website is now 59k. I wonder if it's the price for the 08 model, otherwise, it's quite pricey.

Lancer GLX auto (CVT) is now 51k. Seems like the price has gone up a little. Is the engine noisy?
    prices went up huh? I last looked at the prices like last month.. but I think i was looking at the manual version. prob a diff of few K.

Engine noisy? erm.. subjective.. i find it only slightly noisier than the civic. When driving on eway, there's hardly any diff cos the tyre noise will take over.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

19km/l is very very impressive! it's like driving a hybrid!!!!
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 7th November 2007 at 12:15 AM.

Only once.

I've been monitoring the amount spent on petrol due to the prices. (can you believe it? it's almost $2 for Octane 95!)

Over the past 6 months, I found the range to be between 14.6 to 18.6 but mainly hovering around 17.

It is highly likely due to the car load. My boot is empty and I am a solo driver. It's mainly for personal transport.

[Edit] Oh btw, I love your album on tilt-shift simulations, Yew Kay.
    Last edited by tSkye; 7th November 2007 at 12:14 AM.

Only once.

I've been monitoring the amount spent on petrol due to the prices. (can you believe it? it's almost $2 for Octane 95!)

Over the past 6 months, I found the range to be between 14.6 to 18.6 but mainly hovering around 17.

It is highly likely due to the car load. My boot is empty and I am a solo driver. It's mainly for personal transport.

[Edit] Oh btw, I love your album on tilt-shift simulations, Yew Kay.
    17 is still very impressive!

p/s: thanks

As I said, I am giving the TS a recommendation based on my experience. It will show the worst case and the best case I have achieved so far. And as I concluded, it really depends on the way you drive and the feel of the car. In this aspect, I aim just merely trying to offer him a point of view. Disclaimer would be: I am not a spokesperson from Toyota.

If you are really so interested in fuel consumption, here are a few tips:
    - Yes indeed, 80kmph would be optimal for the Vios as it hovers around 2000rpm.
    - Drive smoothly, pick up slowly and travel and a steady pace.
    - Look ahead, take your foot off the pedal and the car will slow down by itself, without the need for braking.

Here is how I drive and some facts:
    - I pump Octane 95.
    - I pick up slowly, keeping the revs at 2-2.5k while shifting from gear to gear.
    - I travel on expressways 70% of the time, keeping into the middle lane as I build speed.
    - By the time I hit 80kmph @ 2krpm, I filter to lane one and travel for the rest of the journey at 100kmph @ 2.5krpm.
    - A fuel saving device, Torquet, is installed.
    - My Vios is silver and stock, with 14" rims at 230 pressure.
    - The Vios has a fuel tank of 45L, inclusive of emergency fuel.

I cannot be certain whether your cynical comments are directed as a personal attack to me or my opinion but nontheless, I do not wish to get into an argument from different car camps. In fact, I was actually contemplating between the Honda City i-DSI (which I think is very good) and the Vios but the lower price led me to the Toyota.

Obviously, should you upgrade to larger, albeit heavier, rims and perhaps add body kits, spoilers and after market mufflers to improve the performance and looks of your car, you would definitely have to face the fact that your fuel consumption will increase. Thus, your urge to dash off the traffic lights, beat the fastest vehicle on the road and rev loudly to attract passerbys, will definitely result in such a drop in KM/L.

Upon reading the title, I can only assume that the TS is looking for a cheap/good/fuel efficient car for day to day travels. This would mean having a stock car for convenience purposes. It is unlikely that he would be taking this car for a race on some track in Malaysia, nor would he dashing down the streets with his family in the car.

I am only replying to your comments as I do feel these pointers might benefit those who read it, especially the TS. Please do not misunderstand this as something offensive against you. If it came across that way, I do apologise. If there is something further you wish to discuss with me, please feel free to PM me instead.
    You drive like a tortoise. No wonder you always turn up at shoots late Oh btw check this out for me PAOLO ROVERSI: Nudi

TS: Try the Suzuki SX4

.... However, my old Vios does have brakes on all four wheels. I do not claim to be a very technical person however, I personally feel safer having more brakes.
    Brakes on all four wheels... which car does not have brakes on all four wheels!???

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    You drive like a tortoise. No wonder you always turn up at shoots late Oh btw check this out for me PAOLO ROVERSI: Nudi

TS: Try the Suzuki SX4
    I rather take a bus if I drive like this...

Edit to clarify: ... not "suaning" anyone... but just that it is not my style to drive that slowly. Even when I take taxi and the driver was driving like a tortise... I would go crazy.

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 7th November 2007 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    prices went up huh? I last looked at the prices like last month.. but I think i was looking at the manual version. prob a diff of few K.

Engine noisy? erm.. subjective.. i find it only slightly noisier than the civic. When driving on eway, there's hardly any diff cos the tyre noise will take over.
    Hmm.. okie.. But it looks like now I'm impressed with the Vios's fuel efficiency. I don't think City can even beat that but not too sure of the new Jazz though.. Still.. No hatchbacks for me.

To Klose: SX4 sedan? How's the FC? Given the rising fuel price, I put FC in a high priority.

Now the question is, Is the convenience worth it? Will taxi companies raise their fare again? It's near impossible to get a seat in public transport during the peak hours and people are pushing and shoving.. Are the roads any better? At least there's some personal space in the car..
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th November 2007 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragos View Post
    well said, i also love to have a car but am still working out my sums if it is really something which i want to such that i am willing to give up my other wants, such as traveling 2 or 3 times a year, buying a luxury watch, every 2 year or so.....spending the rest of my $$$ on my boy....etc..

end of the day, it is still a temptation...
    heheh that is why I gave up taking my driving test hehe... nip it in the bud....and stop any woman from every asking if I own a car or intend to. heheh

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    heheh that is why I gave up taking my driving test hehe... nip it in the bud....and stop any woman from every asking if I own a car or intend to. heheh
    Darn.. and I just passed mine?

I'll probably bring my wife to go see the new Vios... No comments on the new vios so far or is tSkye comments on FC also valid for the new Vios? Can a baby seat go in comfortably?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th November 2007 at 11:41 AM.

Remember to check this car thread on how much to spend per month to maintain a car

Is your company giving you car allowance ?

Where is your working place ? CBD ?

How much is the season parking ?

How much is the ERP charge daily ?

FC is depend on
    a. Car itself
    < 1.6 L gives good FC.

b. Driver driving style
    Are you a heavy footer ? Yes, FC will be bad.

c. Road condition
    During peak hour and traffic always jam, FC will be bad.
    Last edited by megaweb; 7th November 2007 at 11:57 AM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast