Thread: Stray hair and stuff in the background

Default Stray hair and stuff in the background

Would like some help in the following two areas. I tried for nights and cannot get anything decent out.

- remove car from background? I have a photo of a girl with car in background, and the exact photo with a clean background, without the girl. I tried merging the two, but there's a faint but visible line separating the two images.

- remove stray hair and other stray hair on shoulder? Looks kinda fake when I use the clone tool leh.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Stray hair and stuff in the background

why dun you send them to me and lemm try
    i would love to try doing it

Quote Originally Posted by juliet View Post
    Would like some help in the following two areas. I tried for nights and cannot get anything decent out.

- remove car from background? I have a photo of a girl with car in background, and the exact photo with a clean background, without the girl. I tried merging the two, but there's a faint but visible line separating the two images.

- remove stray hair and other stray hair on shoulder? Looks kinda fake when I use the clone tool leh.

Thanks!!
    did you move your camera for the first case, if you did then obviously would not be the same

still if it wasn't moved much, i.e. was mounted on tripod.. you can just try shifting the on top image around until there is no line, cut and paste it as a layer on top, then set opacity to 50% or something so you can "see through" it

as for stray hair, i have never done it before

but with regards to cloning, making sure that the brush size used is big enough, and not too big at the same time, is the way to go, from experience

are you talking about cutting and pasting kind?

try to use brush to soften the edges or zoom in even more to erase the unnecessary pixels

i saw somewhere b4 to 'draw' back some hair by using the smudge tool with softness and brush size adjusted to your preference. brush size of cos small, to wad extent of softness you got to trial and error.

hope i am answering the qns as i dont really understand it, sort of like only half the story is here lol no offence

Hi,

cutting and pasting - yes. There is a car in the background. I have the exact same shot without the subject and without the car. Using tripod. Same composition, everything.

The subject is standing on the right side of the photo. So what I tried to do is cut and paste the left side of the photo and merge together. But there's still a 'line' of some sort. So what should I do? Should I merge then use brush and soften? Any detailed suggestions? Sorry I'm still a newbie at PS, could do with any suggestions.

Hair-wise, it's just flyaway hair but got to get rid of it.

redsun- hehe, thanks, but i really gotta try this myself, otherwise will never learn, man.

no prob juilet
    Since you have the same pic,1 with the ger and 1 without,
    maybe you can try copying the pic with the ger over on top of the pic without the ger
    after that use the eraser to erase off the areas you do not want
    in this way,you can easily erase off the parts and show the background without the car
    there wouldnt be any line too coz both pics are the same
    hope this helps

vince123123
    Guests

There should be no line if the pics are identical. But if for some reason the "line" is still there, then dont use a straight cut. Use a brush and do a wavy cut, and try to end at where subjects are so the line is not obvious. Adjust opacity of the brush to further smoothen the transition.

Hope this helps.

Start off by cropping away as much rubbish bground u have
    den.
    i usually use the cloning tool first.
    den use healing brush tool to merge the colour to make it more "real"
    den the smurge tool to create a gradient on the colour if neccesary

if those are really hard.
    u can use the lasso tool to select ur subject (which is the girl for ur case)
    den select inverse, and desaturate or wadeva means to make it Black n White
    with the bground blacknwhite, it's easier to clone and "heal brush" the colourless background away.

it takes practice too, and of course ur own artistic sense in wadeva way u have, something that i do not have much.

it's possible. i have made a whole man disappear from my bground before,
    and even made a whole large banner disappear, replace it's place with a curtain Lolx.

keep trying!

post the pics up. i'm sure it isn't too hard

here's what i'll do
    cut out the clean bg image (feather before cutting, depending on image size 2 - 10 pixels can be possible) .. paste over the car
    resize/distort the clean bg layer until the edges fits best. just healing brush to clean edges.
    use levels/curve to adjust for exposure differences.

hair on shoulder. just clone/heal it away! redraw from other clean parts of the shoulder if possible
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 26th November 2007 at 11:46 AM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler