Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [News] Warrant officer asked by SAF to retire 5 years earlier

Arrow Re: [News] Warrant officer asked by SAF to retire 5 years earlier

Some of us have known about this issue for quite some time about warrant officers being asked to retire early.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i find it amusing that we often question the authencity of what we see on the news

but when it comes to news of a negative nature

the blind faith that is shown is disturbing

it is as if we, as a nation, at least represented on this tiny little thread, embrace negativity without a moment's thought
    Last edited by xtemujin; 7th November 2007 at 08:18 AM.

Default Re: [News] Warrant officer asked by SAF to retire 5 years earlier

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Some of us have known about this issue for quite some time.

5 tonner command post.

don't get it

Retirement age now is 62? Garment say 62 is no good coz you still can work and wanted to increase it to 65. And then what? 70? I guess "being able to work" is just an excuse to make sure you pay for your medical bill coz they ain't interested in providing any aid and delay returning your CPF to you.

So on one hand, they "encourage" us to retire late and on the other hand RAPE (Retire All Personnel Early) their own employee? How to trust a body that say one thing in your front and do another behind your back... Sigh...

vince123123
    Guests

dont get what?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    dont get what?
    see the reply that i quoted

the dude has edited his post after that

what does a 5 tonner command post and "known about it" for quite some time have to do with anything, very vague reply

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Some of us have known about this issue for quite some time about warrant officers being asked to retire early.
    Yes. it's totally not new. I know of a 1WO who was asked to retire 1 year earlier and heard of a SWO who refused to take up the offer to retire early and was sent to an overseas detachment all the way till he finish his retirement.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

outside the army, companies also practice this nowadays. senior = high pay. so they rather get in young chap.

but they do it the "right" way whereby not even the union can argue. give you (the selected ones) specific task that must be completed in time (beyond your abilities ofcause).
    Last edited by denniskee; 8th November 2007 at 12:21 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

CRA means one MUST retire at 55.

However, the normal retirement age for WOSEs is 50 - it is up to the organization to decide whether are you deployable for the next five years.

All these are stated in the employment terms and conditions.

Really people, don't be too quick to fly off the handle.

Oh! Someone that actually reads the terms and conditions

While I sympathise with the said Warrant Officer on being left out in the cold at that age, proper financial planning would have gone a long way to ensuring that the children/housing are well provided for. The final years of your career should have been purely contributing to your I-am-so-going-to-enjoy-my-retirement fund.

The SAF had always preached to prepare for retirement and prepare for transition ... I suppose in a way each individual should have taken steps to prepare for any eventuality. This not only extends to Govt Service... it applies even more so for the private sector.

vince123123
    Guests

RESTRUCTURING EXERCISE INVOLVING SAF REGULARS

Less than 1% affected, transition package given

I REFER to the letter, 'Warrant officer asked to retire 5 years earlier' (ST, Nov 7), by 2WO (Ret) Henry Minjoot.

The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) constantly introduces new technologies, platforms and capabilities to meet future security challenges, and to support new war-fighting concepts.

People are key to this transformation and, as far as possible, the SAF actively retrains, re-skills and redeploys its personnel to take on new roles.

But as with any major restructuring effort, there will be some personnel who cannot be suitably retrained and redeployed. In the restructuring exercise carried out last year, less than 1 per cent of SAF regulars were so affected.
    In recognition of the good and dedicated service that these servicemen had provided, Mindef had been upfront with them about their career prospects in the SAF and offered them a transition package which is in line with Civil Service guidelines, to help them pursue a second career.

The transition package provided for affected employees to take their superannuation benefits or receive one month's last-drawn gross salary for each year of qualifying service, subject to a cap of 25 years of service.

The package also provided for medical-insurance coverage for six months from the date of leaving the organisation and a training grant of up to $2,000.

In addition, Mindef also provided various forms of assistance in making a career transition, such as partially- paid leave to work in an alternative job, sponsorship of skills-training courses, conduct of career transition and education workshops and career fairs, as well as job vacancy link-ups.

This package was similarly offered to Mr Minjoot to encourage him to take on new career options. We would like to invite him to contact us to see how we can be of further assistance.
    Col Darius Lim
    Director
    Public Affairs
    Ministry of Defence

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Oh! Someone that actually reads the terms and conditions
    Ah boh, my ORD date reads 2026, fifty years to the birthdate!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123