View Poll Results: Is it worth it paying so much more for B+W filters over basic hoya ones?

Voters
1081. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

652 60.31%
  • No

212 19.61%
  • It depends on the filter

217 20.07%
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 478910111419 ... LastLast

Thread: B+W filters: worth paying so much?

Default Re: B+W filters: worth paying so much?

depends use for what condition. If talking about adverse conditions like sea water, typhoon rains or desert winds...it would make sense to use disposable economic filters rather then risk "spoiling" the expensive filters.
    I photograph the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    A 77mm 010 UV Haze MRC is selling at S$130+ nowadays you know? Anywhere to get it lower price then that? Pretty much difficult I think.
    recently i researched around the web on Marumi super dhg, some user claim it to be more "anti-fingerprint" than the B+W MRC and tested to be as water-repellent and as easy to clean as well. only thing i haven confirm is how effective is the hard coating against scratch.
    Good thing about is is they are priced at about S$80 including shipping from ebay for the 77mm. Sadly they can only be found oversea/ebay and are pretty rare. they might just come out to be a good replacement for B+W other than using the more normal alu frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    depends use for what condition. If talking about adverse conditions like sea water, typhoon rains or desert winds...it would make sense to use disposable economic filters rather then risk "spoiling" the expensive filters.
    actually not really, becos those filter are known to have water-repellent and scratch resistance for pretty heavy use. thats also one of the reason for its price.

A 77mm 010 UV Haze MRC is selling at S$130+ nowadays you know? Anywhere to get it lower price then that? Pretty much difficult I think.
    I just asked CP this afternoon, was quoted $135. When i got mine over 2 years ago, was only $116.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I just asked CP this afternoon, was quoted $135. When i got mine over 2 years ago, was only $116.
    8 yrs ago was around S$70 to S$80 (I think).

Buy good lens and use cheap filter is like adding a normal glass to downgrade yr expensive lens. Better not to use a filter
    Nikon D600 N35f2, N50f1.4, N24-120f4, Tokina 20-35f2.8, SB900,

8 yrs ago was around S$70 to S$80 (I think).
    Everything seems to increase over time.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Hi Bros, 2 types of Hoya filters, cheap and expensive types
    I bought a 52mm @ $28/-(red coloured paper sideway compared with the blue coloured paper- cheap type) just 2 days ago.

There is an ongoing mass order for B+W filters. You can get a 77mm UV MRC F-PRO for $100
    Canon 450D | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS | 430EXII | Gitzo GT0541, 486RC2

Quote Originally Posted by WhipLash View Post
    There is an ongoing mass order for B+W filters. You can get a 77mm UV MRC F-PRO for $100
    Do let us know who can we get it from at the price mentioned above. Cheers dude.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 23rd March 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Do let us know who can we get it from at the price mentioned above. Cheers dude.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490592

MO is by henessy.

Cheers
    Canon 450D | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS | 430EXII | Gitzo GT0541, 486RC2

In answer to the original question, and with modern B+W filters, I feel 'No'.

There are much better filters for abit more if you look around.

Back in the 70s and 80s, B+W was brought in by the same guy who brought in Practica cameras and Zeiss Jena (the budget series), and was the cheaper high class alternative to OEM filters by Canon and Nikon, which were priced significantly higher.

However, the OLD B+W filters were in a different class, material wise. If you've seen and abused them before, you would know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    In answer to the original question, and with modern B+W filters, I feel 'No'.

There are much better filters for abit more if you look around.

Back in the 70s and 80s, B+W was brought in by the same guy who brought in Practica cameras and Zeiss Jena (the budget series), and was the cheaper high class alternative to OEM filters by Canon and Nikon, which were priced significantly higher.

However, the OLD B+W filters were in a different class, material wise. If you've seen and abused them before, you would know what I mean.
    then what is better than B+W filter for a bit more? my experience with nikon NC and B+W MRC UV, i prefer the latter in terms of scratch resistance.

Now the new Hoya HD would probably take the cake durability wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT6wBQR7iqE

Other brands I would use would be Heliopan and old B+Ws, besides Nikon and Canon.

Mind you, I'm not a filter or equipment snob. I've used everything else and would use even a mama-shop sheet of glass in a pinch if I just needed something to splash-guard an unprotected lens in a pinch. I do own and use Hoyas, the normal ones - no multicoat.

The ultimate for transmitability and sheer lack optical imperfections etc? No filter.

I suppose there's substantial reasons why we are paying a premium for that filter? I love my B+W, at least till now.

*nodding my head*
    D800 | N14-24 | N24-70 | N70-200 II | N50 1.4G | N60 macro 2.8G | N85 1.4G | SB800

I do not think that B+W is so much more expensive. If u compare apples to apples, the price is about the same as Hoya.

For example, I was recently looking for a 67 mm UV multicoated filter. The Hoya Pro Digital was comparable in price to the B+W. But really, what is more variable is the prices of Hoya and B+W among the camera shops. I was quoted prices ranging from $88 to $120 for the B+W. So do your shopping and if u decide that u want multi-coat, u may be better off getting a B+W in terms of value.

But if u do not want pro level (ie. thin filter) and no need multicoat, of course than these filters will be way cheaper.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Now the new Hoya HD would probably take the cake durability wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT6wBQR7iqE

Other brands I would use would be Heliopan and old B+Ws, besides Nikon and Canon.

Mind you, I'm not a filter or equipment snob. I've used everything else and would use even a mama-shop sheet of glass in a pinch if I just needed something to splash-guard an unprotected lens in a pinch. I do own and use Hoyas, the normal ones - no multicoat.

The ultimate for transmitability and sheer lack optical imperfections etc? No filter.
    Wow....power filter. Do they have it for UV or protection filters? If so, is the light transmission affected?
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

You buy what you can afford. B&W is worth it.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi Bros, 2 types of Hoya filters, cheap and expensive types
    I bought a 52mm @ $28/-(red coloured paper sideway compared with the blue coloured paper- cheap type) just 2 days ago.
    add a few bud, u get the B+W 52mm, i bought it at $32.
    康能 捕风猎景,雕光刻影,照山摄水,快门禅宗.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    Wow....power filter. Do they have it for UV or protection filters? If so, is the light transmission affected?

wow...keng...

cheap lens use cheap filter...good lens use good filter...hahaa

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 478910111419 ... LastLast