Thread: SPIA Gold award, has the judges made wrong choice?

Default SPIA Gold award, has the judges made wrong choice?

Hi guys,

I'm refering to the recent SIPA award and a particular photo that has won a FIAP Gold titled "Americal Football" under the Colour Section. http://www.sipa.org.sg/54th_sipa_2007.htm

Let me state clear from the onset I have nothing against Mr. Peer Albert for his winning entry. But I believed the judges in this instance has made a wrong decision.

I post his shot here using handheld close up and I must admit it is not well taken as I don't want to go thru' the hassle of using tripod, but at least should be good enough to appreciate and give a general idea about the details as the image from SIPA website is too small to scrutinize.

The rule stated very clearly that "digital manipulation should be kept to a minimum where the reality of the image should not be distorted". In my opinion, I believed the image has been greatly digitally manipulated, otherwise, a zooming with the lens will cause player no. 34,59, 53 and the bottom right player lying on the ground blurred out. It's obvious and no question about that if one is into photography.

The selling point in this picture is the zooming effect, otherwise, it may be just an ordinary picture. So the zooming effect is contravening to the regulation.

Question is how much manipulation is allowed? Well, I believed the manipulation in this picture has gone overboard to the extend that it enhances and distorting the photo. Normally, digital enhancement in competition means allowing getting rid of specks, blemishes, levels, curves, saturation, contrast and perhaps some minor cloning. His entry is not under "Digital Experiment" and therefore I believed above rules applies.

In competition, no matter how nice the shots maybe, but rules are rules. Has the judges made a wrong choice?

Click here for larger image

Default Re: SPIA Gold award, has the judges made wrong choice?

Wrong section, this should go to Kopitiam

Hmm well photography is quite subjective. Tht said, the image doesn't really stir much emotion in me.

yah...it looks like a normal photo with added zoom effects (to me that is), but
    there will be people out there who will tell you :

1. To win, impress the judges

2. judges make the decision, not the masses

it doesnt matter if someone else's shot is real good, well taken or impressive. The one that's lousy might win, over factors only judges will know.

A friend once told me :
    "competitions are not the real gauge of skill, there are skilled people out there who wouldn't bother to join competitions."

Maybe this competition is not competitive enough?
    (i looked through the photos on the website...some are indeed looking better/interesting)

oh well... take it with a pinch of salt?
    Last edited by sbs99; 6th November 2007 at 12:24 PM.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

i think TS isn't talking about whether or not the picture is impressive or emotive or well-composed etc. he seems to be saying that the photo shouldn't win because it breaks the rule against digital manipulation.

ie. not subjectively bad ("eee, so ugly")

but objectively bad ("eee, cheated...")

of course, it also depends on whether the zoom effect was done with a zoom lens or with photoshop. (whether or not this makes a meaningful difference to the authenticity of the picture is a separate discussion. for the purpose of the competition, the rules have been set in this way)

Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    i think TS isn't talking about whether or not the picture is impressive or emotive or well-composed etc. he seems to be saying that the photo shouldn't win because it breaks the rule against digital manipulation.
    oh misread. paiseh. hehe
    roger!
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Want to win contests?

The official rule is to 'take the greatest photo ever'.
    The reality rule is to 'impress & please the judges'.

ClubSNAP Admin

There is a possibility that the above photos is taken using:

Misty Spot Filters: Breeze, Halo, Windmill, and Gradual Filters - They have a sharp central image with a pleasant blurring of the outer field. For special effect photography.

Or Filters that create the similar effects.

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/misty.aspx

Above Pictures Link from http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/misty.aspx

I share this feeling also.

I have attended the judging sessions, and based on my opinion/observation, quite a number of pictures seems to have been altered a lot. Some elements in those pictures even have very strange shadows, colour contrast, and colour balance, and yet can score in the judging session. Those entries who stick to the rules strictly did not score well or did not even score at all. These are not the experimental sections.

Maybe the judges are tired after viewing the hundreds of entries and overlook on this aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    There is a possibility that the above photos is taken using:

Misty Spot Filters: Breeze, Halo, Windmill, and Gradual Filters - They have a sharp central image with a pleasant blurring of the outer field. For special effect photography.

Or Filters that create the similar effects.

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/misty.aspx

Above Pictures Link from http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/misty.aspx

If your descibed filters were used, only the central figure will be sharp. But look carefully the footballers, almost all are sharp even they were away from centre. So I don't believed filters were used. Its certainly photoshop!

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    yah...it looks like a normal photo with added zoom effects (to me that is), but
    there will be people out there who will tell you :

1. To win, impress the judges

2. judges make the decision, not the masses

Certainly any winning shots has to impress the judges, that goes without saying. But I believed the photo was photoshopped instead of zooming with the lens. In this instances, the 5 judges have made a mockery out of themselves. I would thought judges eyes should be sharped and realised the "manipulation", or either the judges are from the old school with no knowledge of post processing !

Quote Originally Posted by leekch View Post
    Maybe the judges are tired after viewing the hundreds of entries and overlook on this aspect.
    No, it goes to show our local judges has limited experience even an obvious manipulation was presented in front of them. In order to get a Gold award, I believed there was another round of scrutinization and wonder has all the judges miss it again?