Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth to repair or buy another DSLR?

Default Re: Worth to repair or buy another DSLR?

How long does it take to get the shutter replaced?My Canon EOS 20D just died.

Well, IMHO, out-of-warranty repairs are usually not worth it, especially for critical components like CCD or shutter assembly.

Case in point: Friend bought Canon S3 from USA for approx SGD600 equiv. early this year. Warranty only applicable in USA. Now lens assembly jammed, and Canon S'pore quoted him $400 to repair. Might as well get Canon S5 brand new, with local warranty.

The EOS300D is already 2 generations behind the 400D. For all you know, 2008 may come up with newer model with improved specs and reduced price?

Again, my opinion lah.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

IMHO the 300d is obsolete. I'm not being snobbish or saying that it's a bad camera. If you have one by all means use it and keep using it until it breaks down, it's a great tool if you know how to use it. That still does not detract from the fact that the cost of production of one unit of 300d now would probably be quite close to the cost of production of say a 400d. Heck, the 400d might be even cheaper to produce for all we know. Likewise, the technology used in the newer units surpasses the technology used in the 300d.

So for the same price, who would want to produce or buy a 300d when the 400d is available in the market?

For that reason it is obsolete.
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

but i thought a shutter system is not expensive. if it takes less than $300 for a body about $1500 and above (and KIV use it as a backup body), it is probably still worth it unless there is budget constrain with upgrading for another system.

on the other hand, one can spend $600-900 for a good 2nd hand body, but it may fail at unpredictable times, as compared to a new shutter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12