Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much is enough?

Default Re: How much is enough?

decision to shoot paid or not it up to you and you have received quite a lot of advice already.

no one seemed to answer what an S8R print costs so: I get them for $2 per piece at KT Colour centre at hong lim complex. i dunno if u need to mention that you are a clubsnapper or not, no harm if you do i suppose.

as for your other material costs like transport, meals, expendables, you should be able to figure that out yourself.

time can also be a cost, which i assume you don't mind giving out for free for this case. up to you for this.

ur last question on shooting outdoors and reflectors, if u want to use reflectors, then u need someone who knows how to hold one.

if you don't wanna use reflectors, than u have to be good at seeing light, and using that to advantages for your portraits. in a very obvious example, you probably won't want to put her face in the shadows and her legs in the sun, for instance.

a good guideline in portrait is that usually the face is the point of attention. outdoors, the light is usually overhead, and the face isn't the one that gets the most light sometimes. tops of shoulders, arms and hands can seem brighter and distracting from the face, even legs in sitting/lying down positions, with large amounts of skin shooting bikini, there's white everywhere.

a good suggestion it to shoot under diffused light - natural sunlight, but not from the sky. could be streaming in from the side under trees, at windows, corridors, alleys. how that would tie in with a bikini shoot you'll have to figure out. like i'm not sure how a bikini model would look in a chinatown back alley......

these points (and alot more) are guidelines. feel free to break rules if you're adventurous enuff.

u have one image (that i found) on your flickr website of a girl. not sure if it's intended but her face is darker than the rest of her. this is one example of what i described above. but like i said, if intended then cool. i won't comment if i think it's a nice shot since u didn't ask for it nor post it here for all to see.

hmm i just wanted to tell u S8R costs 2 bux and look how much more i went on....

decision to shoot paid or not it up to you and you have received quite a lot of advice already.

no one seemed to answer what an S8R print costs so: I get them for $2 per piece at KT Colour centre at hong lim complex. i dunno if u need to mention that you are a clubsnapper or not, no harm if you do i suppose.

as for your other material costs like transport, meals, expendables, you should be able to figure that out yourself.

time can also be a cost, which i assume you don't mind giving out for free for this case. up to you for this.

ur last question on shooting outdoors and reflectors, if u want to use reflectors, then u need someone who knows how to hold one.

if you don't wanna use reflectors, than u have to be good at seeing light, and using that to advantages for your portraits. in a very obvious example, you probably won't want to put her face in the shadows and her legs in the sun, for instance.

a good guideline in portrait is that usually the face is the point of attention. outdoors, the light is usually overhead, and the face isn't the one that gets the most light sometimes. tops of shoulders, arms and hands can seem brighter and distracting from the face, even legs in sitting/lying down positions, with large amounts of skin shooting bikini, there's white everywhere.

a good suggestion it to shoot under diffused light - natural sunlight, but not from the sky. could be streaming in from the side under trees, at windows, corridors, alleys. how that would tie in with a bikini shoot you'll have to figure out. like i'm not sure how a bikini model would look in a chinatown back alley......

these points (and alot more) are guidelines. feel free to break rules if you're adventurous enuff.

u have one image (that i found) on your flickr website of a girl. not sure if it's intended but her face is darker than the rest of her. this is one example of what i described above. but like i said, if intended then cool. i won't comment if i think it's a nice shot since u didn't ask for it nor post it here for all to see.

hmm i just wanted to tell u S8R costs 2 bux and look how much more i went on....

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's the server's fault...!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post

Lol.... i just see this and this and this ... over again and again till i got it in my memory.

Anyway, as joho has mention the 8r/s8r cost average around $2-3,
    which haven't include time/effort/$ spend on shooting, transportation, logistic & post editing.
    As for hobbyist and professional, differences are having a full time job and shop space with all misc "bills"(do help me to add-in details).
    I presume that you are working, anything u do outside your office hours are also consider your "income" do take this into consideration as most/some of us have been working "blindly" including me for company and use money on other stuff which doesn't make the $ worth after thinking back.

After some serious thoughts, then you get back on your shooting as leisure to relieve stress and enjoy shooting with your friend for TFCD as first time. Later on, take it as experience on how much effort and time is put in to think the offer for $180 is worth the effort???

enjoy shootings!

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post

Great advise from Joho. The extra posting sure help us memorise better.

Oh, about the cost of S8R, i think $2 is a special rate for regulars or those with print volume at KT. Their standard rate is $3 afaik. Thats already >50% cheaper than some popular labs at the peninsular stretch (Adelphi, Peninsular Plaza).

For the cheapest print, I believe tanjong pagar complex has one of the lowest print cost. But be blessed as there will be little (or no) color correction even if their colour settings are off aligned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12