Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to do Padi course in Dec

Default where to do Padi course in Dec

Would like to do the padi course in the region during xmas hols. Am wondering if it is possible? Any recommendations?

Default Re: where to do Padi course in Dec

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Would like to do the padi course in the region during xmas hols. Am wondering if it is possible? Any recommendations?
    thailand is good .... indonesia as well

I see.....thanks!!

I dont think its possible to dive during monsoon period (mid september to mid february), and its too dangerous to dive. I do recommend you to take up diving after this monsoon which will be next year february, and you'll experience better water condition and clearer water. The best time to dive is before and after monsoon when the sea is relatively calm, hope you get a better understanding here.

Regards

and we try to keep this as much as possible to a photography / underwater photography / image sharing / photo opportunity trip discussion group. Guess you could have either PMed someone in this subgroup for advise or links to other 'un-biased' diving forums.
    http://www.divebooks.net
    Olympus E-3, E-1, E-500

alrite apologies if I offended anyone for posting this question. I just figured that I can get some help from the helpful divers here on where to go get a padi cert. I dont think it's polite for me to PM anyone when I dont know anyone of you here. To those who offered advice despite me asking a non related question, it is much appreciated.
    Last edited by aeskywan; 6th November 2007 at 03:15 AM.

u can pm me

singapore can do owd during dec.. or u can go phuket as well

Check out the local dive centres; some if not most conduct courses during the off season period. You would have to do your open water at Pulau Hantu though (which I did) unless you would wait till the season open next year. Happy diving.

Quote Originally Posted by god_created_me View Post
    I dont think its possible to dive during monsoon period (mid september to mid february), and its too dangerous to dive. I do recommend you to take up diving after this monsoon which will be next year february, and you'll experience better water condition and clearer water. The best time to dive is before and after monsoon when the sea is relatively calm, hope you get a better understanding here.
    I hope you realise that in *some* places, the northeast monsoon is the diving season for them ... and also that there are *two* monsoons affecting our region?

Thailand not affected by our northeast monsoon. So most divers head there during our rainy season here.

Would not recommend Hantu (Singapore), if you are planning to get your open water certification, current too strong and visibility hopeless. Head further up north.

Quote Originally Posted by dankar View Post
    Thailand not affected by our northeast monsoon. So most divers head there during our rainy season here.

Would not recommend Hantu (Singapore), if you are planning to get your open water certification, current too strong and visibility hopeless. Head further up north.
    Pardon, but where do you guys get your info from!???

I admit visibility in Singapore is a hit-and-miss matter, but strong currents can be avoided on ALL the reefs of Singapore, if you go at the right time.

And not all of Thailand is unaffected .... Phuket's diving season is during the NE monsoon period, but not Koh Samui and vice versa.

Cheers, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by cat64fish View Post

I admit visibility in Singapore is a hit-and-miss matter, but strong currents can be avoided on ALL the reefs of Singapore, if you go at the right time.

And not all of Thailand is unaffected .... Phuket's diving season is during the NE monsoon period, but not Koh Samui and vice versa.

Cheers, Jeff
    agree. plus even during dive season in thailand phuket side, visibility might not be fantastic either(think tioman/aur/dayang). And talking about currents, some sites in similans or off phuket/krabi side the currents can rip!! these sites are all open ocean sites mah.
    Canon 50D/60mm & 100mm Macro/Tokina 10-17mm FE/Nexus Housing
    Inon Z-240

Quote Originally Posted by cat64fish View Post

Cheers, Jeff
    heh heh i was about to point that out... monsoon != strong currents 24/7. currents depends on tidal variations.

"they say", "i heard", "people say"... wonder why they don't say the correct things?

visibility tends to get better at hantu when the monsoon approaches. this is based on observation
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Thread moved.

It more approriate to post here then Underwater.

Cheers

I was searching the web for Diving schools in Singapore and saw this thread in Clubsnap.

I am would like to take up a diving course this Dec, can anyone recommend a good school to me.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    I was searching the web for Diving schools in Singapore and saw this thread in Clubsnap.

I am would like to take up a diving course this Dec, can anyone recommend a good school to me.

Thank you very much.
    If you're talking about doing it 'locally' i.e. Singapore and Malaysia, I think the only viable places would be P. Hantu, but there are better times of the year to do your open water lah. I always believe a diver's first few dives will determine if he will continue diving, or give up after the first few dives, based on observing friends over the years. If you do want some recommendations, you can PM me, cos I asked this same question back in May

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    If you're talking about doing it 'locally' i.e. Singapore and Malaysia, I think the only viable places would be P. Hantu, but there are better times of the year to do your open water lah. I always believe a diver's first few dives will determine if he will continue diving, or give up after the first few dives, based on observing friends over the years. If you do want some recommendations, you can PM me, cos I asked this same question back in May
    Just PMed you

I would recommend Thailand. Nice vessel, good vis and hot babes!!! Oh.....and good service! I'm talking abt diving course...

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng View Post
    I would recommend Thailand. Nice vessel, good vis and hot babes!!! Oh.....and good service! I'm talking abt diving course...
    Hi Seng:

Do you mean I have to go to Thailand to enrol for the diving course?
    What is the price and how many hot babes?

Ya, you can always go overseas to do your open water lah, but I think for most people, its a waste of money. You'll be concentrating on doing your underwater skills etc that you won't really get to enjoy the local dive sites. I'd advise doing your Open Water and maybe Advance course locally, then maybe throw in a few leisure dives to just comfortable underwater before spending $ going overseas to dive to get more bang for your buck. My 2 cents la

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast