Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: italy trip - help appreciated

Default Re: italy trip - help appreciated

huh? you never answer my question leh

dun not book the train on the web!! it will cost u more!!
    go th the station and look for the cheapest!!
    it had lot of company and type of ticket which provide the same service!!
    and if u wan to save more...
    tell u something, u need not to buy a ticket if u get on a cheap local train.(they dun check the ticket!!) But that is for the cheap train.. do be careful if u wan to try, u might end up paying 10 tims more or get in to jail

modified plan:

Day 1: Land in Rome 1610 hrs. Stay in Rome.
    Day 2: Stay in Rome.
    Day 3: Stay in Rome.
    Day 4: Travel in morning. Rome --> Pisa. Pisa --> Florence evening. Stay in Florence.
    Day 5: Stay in Florence.
    Day 6: Florence in morning. Afternoon travel. Florence --> Venice. Stay in Venice.
    Day 7: Stay in Venice.
    Day 8: Venice in morning. Travel in afternoon. Venice --> Milan
    Day 9: Stay in Milan.
    Day 10: Morning in Milan. Milan --> London

verona has been scrapped

one question; since we are travelling mid dec, the train schedules seem very different RIGHT NOW from current, i spent about 20 minutes making sure that weekly train schedules look the same

is this confirmed to be true, or does the schedule suddenly shift in dec sometime? my plans are based on taking the weekday we are travelling, and using current train schedules to roughly estimate timings we will have to move our asses.

for florence, these are the hostels i have shortlisted:
    (i) Hostel Greci
    (ii) Alex House

venice: Hotel Venice Villa Dori , due to mention of shuttle service on hostelworld

milan is an absolute mess, i have no idea which one to go for:
    (i) Hotel Trentina
    (ii) Hotel San Tomaso
    (iii) Hotel Demo
    (iv) B&B Milan

rome will probably be a hostel called THE YELLOW

any feedback (positive&negative) on these hostels if ANYONE has stayed there before is much appreciated. it is very exasperating - i seem to be planning everything and none of the girls have offered to help, blah, so there's a lesson learnt.

mucho gracias.

i am not sure if they have buses in the early morning like 4-5am
    if you are visiting vatican museums in rome, queue starts around 6am
    might be good if you can find a hostel near it?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    also, is it advisable to take budget airlines,

from what i see choices like ryanair are only an issue because of safety (pretty null, imho) and accessibility, they use weird airports
    so our masterplan is still to use british airways.. because heathrow can be tubed to. ryanair uses stanstead..

and then ryanair also lands in supposedly weird airports as well.

thanks
    ryan air is fine - just be very careful of your luggage limit and carry on luggage. They are very strict on that. The airport is quite accessible - you can take a bus from the airport to the city and it should cost about 12pds iirc. Only prob is travel time almost 2hrs by bus.

Be aware - BA has this dumbass policy of only 1 pc of check-in luggage. They are also very strict on the 1 pc carry-on as well. Even an additional waist pouch or ladies handbag is not allowed. (out of UK)

If you have laptops, make sure they are easily accessible - you will be asked to take them out to x-ray separately.

Go to the airport early. All these security check takes time and queues are long.

Give urself plenty of time to the airport. Even by tube to heathrow, it takes about 1.5hrs.

If you dont have much time, i think you are better off going to one of the main cities, then take eurorail... prob cheaper and more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by n0eln0el View Post
    i am not sure if they have buses in the early morning like 4-5am
    if you are visiting vatican museums in rome, queue starts around 6am
    might be good if you can find a hostel near it?
    6am? shouldnt be that bad... unless you go on the day when it's free... i think it's on the 1st monday of each month. When i went on a normal day, hardly any queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    ryan air is fine - just be very careful of your luggage limit and carry on luggage. They are very strict on that. The airport is quite accessible - you can take a bus from the airport to the city and it should cost about 12pds iirc. Only prob is travel time almost 2hrs by bus.

Be aware - BA has this dumbass policy of only 1 pc of check-in luggage. They are also very strict on the 1 pc carry-on as well. Even an additional waist pouch or ladies handbag is not allowed. (out of UK)

If you have laptops, make sure they are easily accessible - you will be asked to take them out to x-ray separately.

Go to the airport early. All these security check takes time and queues are long.

Give urself plenty of time to the airport. Even by tube to heathrow, it takes about 1.5hrs.
    For heathrow, i think there's an express train.. Heathrow Express or something.. just google it and you shd have the info.

guys, guys, i am definitely going to stanstead, flight has been booked

i'm more concerned about the train schedule, bleh. it would be a bad, bad day if we are unable to move from one city to the other because the train timings suddenly change from what i predict

Buses to and from stanstead from London

http://www.stanstedairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/

I just came back from Italy this morning, any queries you have you can ask me

btw i stayed at hotel trentina
    - 5 mins walk to both the green and red train line which gets you the the centre of Milan where all the shopping and the Duomo is at.
    - 20 mins walk to the centre like wise
    -5 mins walk to the start of the shopping lane

Also, the brother-sister running the hotel are VERY friendly and nice. you can ask them for favours such as bargaining a taxi ride to the airport for 70 euros..
    I recommend you stay there..

hi guys..

like nightmare, i would love to know about italy too..as i probably would wanna stay there for about a week during my honeymoon next april.

exitome, did you go to venice, rome, florence? if so, where did you stay?
    thanks in advance!

liki: hope you will really blog about your trip, so that i can find out more too..

Quote Originally Posted by exitome View Post
    btw i stayed at hotel trentina
    - 5 mins walk to both the green and red train line which gets you the the centre of Milan where all the shopping and the Duomo is at.
    - 20 mins walk to the centre like wise
    -5 mins walk to the start of the shopping lane

Also, the brother-sister running the hotel are VERY friendly and nice. you can ask them for favours such as bargaining a taxi ride to the airport for 70 euros..
    I recommend you stay there..
    taxi ride costs 70 euros? Well, in Rome, the cabbies are over charging at 30 euros... unless Milan's airport is very far...

Quote Originally Posted by grainpixel View Post
    hi guys..

like nightmare, i would love to know about italy too..as i probably would wanna stay there for about a week during my honeymoon next april.

exitome, did you go to venice, rome, florence? if so, where did you stay?
    thanks in advance!

liki: hope you will really blog about your trip, so that i can find out more too..
    1Wk in italy is hardly enough to be honest. If u have to choose i guess Venice will be nice during that period and very nice for Honeymoon. You can try go to Rome, then up north to Florence (2n), Siena (stopover), Venice (2n) and back in Rome (2N). you can check out trafalgar or insight tour for their itinerary. since you dont have much time, joining one of these tours is probably best for u. And if you have already decided, book now and you can get some discount.

For the adventure - you might like to go to Mt Blanc - think skiing should still be good at that time of the year as well as ice climbing and snow treks

The alternative is Sardinia - has great trekking and climbing routes and v laid back Italians (think there's a lot of rich ones there on the island too)

The airport in Milan (the international airport) is very far from the city of Milan, the cheapest alternative to get there is to go by the shuttle train/bus (im not sure) which leaves from the train terminal of Milan.
    Oh wow, grainpixel, I suggest you go to Como, its a one hour train ride away from Milan, basically its cluster of small (very small) towns clustering around Lake Como and if you take a boat to the end of the lake, you will be able to see the Swiss Alps as Como is bordering Italy and Switzerland. I stayed in the 'cluster town' called Bellagio and the apartment we booked had a view of the lake! It costed us 130 euros. I suggest you go there since its your honeymoon and furthermore its the winter and Como is rather 'deserted'. When i went there in Mid Nov, no more then 50 tourists in the city.
    If you want, theres a picture of Como which I took here.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...t/DSC_0903.jpg
    The train ride to Como from Milan is easy to get, you can buy the ticket on the spot, but do check the timing beforehand if you are going as train rides there are not frequent in the winter.

Any other questions, do pm me or email me. timothy.amphi@gmail.com

are you talking about linate?

the hostel i booked for milan is apparently quite convenient with regards to getting to linate

thanks everyone for your replies, everything has been settled, except the train schedules, i really hope they don't change in dec.

I love Italy The local does not seems friendly at first but if you try to talk to them they will start to open up to you and Italian like to talk. Get a little pocket English-Italian dictionary it can be very useful. The last time I visited Italy is during mid-March 2007 Rome-Florence-Piazza-Florance-Venice-Rome on a 10 Day trip. Weather is 3-10 deg, drizzle in Florence and Piazza only, the rest of the city is fine weather at 8-12 deg.

Day 1,2
    Roma Airport - Termini station : €11, 31 min.

Termini Station - Firenze Station,Florence : €33,1.36hr.
    Base in Florence for 2N at Hotel Cosimo 72/N near Station.
    Arrival at 1120hr Check in is at 2pm so leave the bags with the hotel first then its light lunch and a very nice cup of Italian Cafe Latte, must try Italian coffee its very nice. Never order Latte, as that means milk only!!! So its cafe latte ...ok!
    Firenze Station - Piazza : €5.20 Local Train,1hr
    Bus to Piazza. 30min
    Buy the ticket at the Tabacci (mama shop) outside the station on the right side. Pls note that all bus tickets can only be purchase at the mama shop found all over the place before boarding the bus. Prices forgot liao but its cheap it can be use multiple time for a duration of 70 mins from the time you punch in in the bus, pls check on this. Proceed straight the the main road, cross the road, turn right, bus stop is about 15 meter away.
    We spent in total about 4 hr there taking pictures most of the time.
    Dinner is at a Pasta Restaurant behind the station. When you alight from the train, exit thru the left of the station then turn right and skirt round the station. There is a small convenient store at the back of the station.
    cross the road from the store. The place is like 2 unit size, bright and pack with people.The portion there is BIG and price is cheap (by Italy standard !) highly recommended. Rememder the name as there is one near Rome station too.

Day 3,

Next is off to The Mall and Prada factory outlet to satisfy my wife....
    Spend about 8hrs, with a coach to The Mall for Gucci,Tods, then taxi - train - taxi to Prada. Phew then its the reverse Taxi n train back to Florence Station Back to Frienze and back to the same place for dinner because we like it so much

Day 4,

Check out and leave the bags with the Hotel. We covered all the usual place taking a circular route pass Piazza S Lorenzo and Pasar Malam #1, Piazza Del Domo, Via Dei Calzaiuoli(shopping street) passing by the Pasar Malam #2 selling lots of leather goods which Florence is famous for. Then go and rub the nose of the bronze wild bore for good luck I think, next is to Piazza Della Signoria (A big Square with lots of statue and a fountain) where we met David, though not the real one, the real thing is too far for us in Galleria dell'Accademia. Walking pass Uffizi towards the river heading for Ponte Vecchio the famous bridge.Walking along the river we make a right turn back towards our hotel near the station passing by more shops.1839 train departure. Dinner - Pizza on the go....
    Firenze Station - Venice : €30, 2.51hr
    Arrival at 2128hr
    Check in at Hotel Stella Alpine Edelweiss €90,1 Night, 5-10min to the right of the station.Dinner beside Grand Canal.

Day 5,
    Check out and leave the bags with the Hotel then walk to San Marco and enjoy the sight and sound of Venice.....Bellissimo !!! Dinner - at Train Station.
    Venice - Rome : €51, 4.36hr
    Arrival at 2308hr check into Hotel Tokyo
    €90

Day6,7,8

Hotel Sheraton Golf, 3 Night, Corporate rate.
    Shopping, visiting all the major attraction. Sistine Chapel queue can be 2-3hrs long, so go very early to avoid the crowd, again winter could be less people. I went once during Jan where there is no queue and once Mar, 2.5hrs queue.

Day9,10
    Flight back to Singapore....

Things to note:

Train Prices shown are for per person.
    Room Prices shown are for 1 Room with attach bathroom per night.

All train ride that I took is Euro Star 2nd Class.There is no 3rd class, all seats allocated except local. Tell in advance and buy all ticket together or else your group will be separated!!! Ticket will show carriage number and seat number so dont get lost...if no seat no. indicated that means free seating lah. I buy my ticket in advance, usually in the morning of travel before we start our sight seeing so as to make sure that I get the seat. I did miss my Florence-Venice train due to full load, that explain why I arrival in Venice so late. Remember to validate all ticket before boarding the train at the little yellow box near the track, or else it will be a very expensive fine. Train run on time, check and buy return train ticket once you arrival at the station if you Kia Su.Timing at the big board with all the timing in advance so as not to waste time waiting or missing the train.There are many type of train, Inter City, Inter Region, Euro Star etc Different Timing, price and speed.

Hostel usually charge by per person shared bath room at common area but you can pay a bit more for rooms with attach bath room too, Hotel charge by per room with bath room attach. Continental Breakfast are usually included in the charges.

Hope this gives you a better idea

Booking.com online hotel reservations
    Rome train schedule
    Italy forums:
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast