Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vertical grip.... you need it?

Default Re: Vertical grip.... you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by ceecookie View Post
    Hi how many Canon batts does the BG-E2 Canon Battery Grip holds?
    If i put only one does it works?
    2, and yup!

Quote Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
    2, and yup!
    Thanks,how much does a new one cost?

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    as for batteries, has it got to do with camera body and battery type? normally two batteries is good enough for me for a whole day, even in cold places down to -5C. a 3rd battery is a standby but i never got to use it. i'm using D50 and maybe that is why.
    Correct bro.. but as you know, D200 is a guzzler... and couple it with the 18-200 VRII, another guzzler... what do you get? It does not help if you keep checking the pix after each shot
    Who Dares Wins!

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker28 View Post
    Correct bro.. but as you know, D200 is a guzzler... and couple it with the 18-200 VRII, another guzzler... what do you get? It does not help if you keep checking the pix after each shot
    i use 18-200 too. guess D200 is a big guzzler then....

Anyone like care to post a picture about how a vertical grip look like? What does it do actually?

Quote Originally Posted by Leg Fetish View Post
    Anyone like care to post a picture about how a vertical grip look like? What does it do actually?
    a search is easier on your part.

I have one, brought it along for one holiday. Not only do i find it too gaudy, it is too bulky, ended up subseq shoots i removed it for good.

I hardly exhaust two batts worth in a day so it doesn matter if it gives me option of AA or not ( i bring one extra batt along ). Changing batt issin difficult

As for macro shooting i like to hand carry my camera with main flash on one hand and second flash handheld on the other. Any weight reduction on my camera body is more than welcomed

So my grip now is sitting happily in the dry cabi

Ryan

I find it odd that no one mention one of the main reason the function of the grip... ie shooting vertical for portrait, yes.... but it prevents your elbow from sticking into the next photog - it happens so often in the recent S.I.N. (courtesy and etiquette is, well... )

Some may say, with the grip, you look more 'gaya'... which is true... more pro... but that does not mean better pix. In SIN, this photog is armed with a to die for config... D2Xs with 70-200 VR... but all his pix came out blown, and he kept shooting with the same settings, 'hoping' the pix would come out nice in the next shots!! How I knew? I was right behind him!

Re longer batt life, what is the diff if u bring extra batts and change as and when needed? It all depends... if u r a street shooter... you would want to dump any extra weight... imagine lugging your equip for 10 straight hours.... gaya or comfort? In my Vienna walk-about, I shot from 8am till midnite, a good 14 hours... I was on minimum equip... just my D200 with my 18-200, ditched my tripod and flash... but used up all my 4 batts!! (it was cold - batt finito faster)

how come cold...battery finish faster huh?
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    Yup, that's true for Li-ion batteries and most other batteries. Just the nature of the electrochemistry.(It is Li-polymer batteries that will lose its charge in the cold.)

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 15th November 2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Inacurate information

Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    Was in Vienna end autumn... COLD
    Who Dares Wins!

Ok then wat does vertical grip do? How come theres something to do with the batt?

Quote Originally Posted by Leg Fetish View Post
    Ok then wat does vertical grip do? How come theres something to do with the batt?
    FYI,Vertical grip is called Battery Grip.
    As the name suggests,the Battery Grip provide extra juice by allowing you to insert extra batterys,quantity and type varies.

Also,it will also help u hold the camera better.

However,a downside is that the whole camera will be even heavier due to the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecookie View Post
    FYI,Vertical grip is called Battery Grip.
    As the name suggests,the Battery Grip provide extra juice by allowing you to insert extra batterys,quantity and type varies.

Also,it will also help u hold the camera better.

However,a downside is that the whole camera will be even heavier due to the grip.
    why dun someone inveny a super light vertical grip that weighs only 50g, can insert extra memory card, no need to insert extra batteries? so far my battery serve me well enough and is usually not a worry.

Anyone has any idea if there is a 3rd-Party vertical grip for the D40? Nikon's not making them, to best of my knowledge.

I like taking portraits (I might not be good at them, but still, heh) - but on top of that, I just like taking photos vertically more (just personal choice).

So if anyone has heard a whiff of it, do let me know, thanks!

A little deviation - but here's another question. Would it be worth buying it if I'm thinking of sticking to the d40 for a year more? Come to think of it, the most common answer I'll get is: "your personal choice"; but I'm asking anyway to hear other PoVs.

Thanks (x2!)

Quote Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post
    Anyone has any idea if there is a 3rd-Party vertical grip for the D40? Nikon's not making them, to best of my knowledge.

I like taking portraits (I might not be good at them, but still, heh) - but on top of that, I just like taking photos vertically more (just personal choice).

A little deviation - but here's another question. Would it be worth buying it if I'm thinking of sticking to the d40 for a year more? Come to think of it, the most common answer I'll get is: "your personal choice"; but I'm asking anyway to hear other PoVs.

Thanks (x2!)
    probably not. becos the market for vertical grips and D40 are not the same group, so no people make them.

Some may say, with the grip, you look more 'gaya'... which is true... more pro... but that does not mean better pix. In SIN, this photog is armed with a to die for config... D2Xs with 70-200 VR... but all his pix came out blown, and he kept shooting with the same settings, 'hoping' the pix would come out nice in the next shots!! How I knew? I was right behind him!

)
    Newbie using a D2Xs + 70-200VR - it ain't easy to overexpose unless you purposely wanna to do it. It's like Ah Pek driving a Porsche at 20km/hr along the SLE.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture View Post
    Newbie using a D2Xs + 70-200VR - it ain't easy to overexpose
    why is it difficult to overexpose?

Quote Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Thanks (x2!)
    http://www.ownuser.com.tw/e_D40_main.htm

Not sure whether sg agent is selling it http://www.laudigital.com.sg/index.asp

checked the website.. don't think so. I guess I could save the $200 and shift it to the camera-upgrade fund for the future. heh.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    thanks for letting us know this brand. never heard of it before.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast