Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vertical grip.... you need it?

Default Re: Vertical grip.... you need it?

Even though I'm a newbie.. I still own one.. It gives me the grip that I want perfectly as the camera that I have is a little short on the grip thus the vertical grip helps me to hold my camera comfortably..

Personally I love the grip on my D80, feels much better in my hands.

I dont ee what the problem with a grip is - afterall you can remove it whenever you like and use it agian when it suits you. So there should be no problem for those who want to walk around discreetly.

I feel the best thing about the vertical grip that comes with my D200 is the ability to put a second battery as well as an option to use AA batteries when both batts are flat as AA batts are widely available. I do use it to shoot vertical - if I remember, sometimes I forgot and continue with the camera's original shutter button even when shooting vertical.
    - Luenny

Besides the additional power, I feel that the handling is improved, especially with slightly longer/heavier lenses. Since my early film days, I have always used a vertical grip.

Cheers,

I don't have a DSLR yet... But I do have two prosumers (Dimage A1 and A2 ) And both of them have grips (BP-400). Beside the additional power and easier to handle for guys with big hands, it does boost the camera looks and feel (a bit more pro) : >

I bought a vertical grip for the most superficial of reasons: It makes my camera look bigger, and when I do freelance work, paying customers always think the bigger your camera is, the better it must be, and hence the better your shots ought to be.

Superficial, but not unimportant.

It's all about creating an image.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by C J GOH View Post
    Hmm.. ..yes.. how true..
    I feel the same way about my attempts to shoot in public; people get the wrong impression when I hold up camera.... it looks too serious & there was once secuirty stepped to me & asked if I was from the press (?) - that was years ago at Turf City...

Maybe I should go around wearing a flowery hat, flowery & colorful shirt & kakis, then hang the serious looking camera around my neck & probably I'd look less official & more tourist-like... serious looking tourist with a large serious looking camera...

Sucks lah.. shooting around in SG sometimes feels similar to shooting in countries like Russsia...
    That's why I absolutely hate shooting street scenes in S'pore. Everybody's so suspicious. I also got questioned by an uncle at a coffee shop, "you shoot what?" And of course, security guards will stop you, even when most of the time, they themselves don't know why they should stop you.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

It depends. If you just do casual shooting, then no need to waste money. If you're doing assignments like weddings, you'll probably need it cos it gives you a better grip and easier to hold when shooting portraits. Also, with 2 batteries, your cam will last much longer. Aesthetics side, you'll look more pro too.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

vertical grip is very good to add on, espesially when your hand is bigger than the camera.
    If you hand bigger than camera, you dont have perfect grip and hold on the camera, this may shake when you push the trigger, picture will not perfect.
    BLOMQVIST

If you like it, buy it, if you find it not worth that $200+, a thousand reasons won't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    If you like it, buy it, if you find it not worth that $200+, a thousand reasons won't make any difference.
    I like your philosophy...

Very simple, very true, & very practical!
    What I failed to see, was what I failed to observe...

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    That's why I absolutely hate shooting street scenes in S'pore. Everybody's so suspicious. I also got questioned by an uncle at a coffee shop, "you shoot what?" And of course, security guards will stop you, even when most of the time, they themselves don't know why they should stop you.
    things dun gets better in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    must say most ppl are OK w ppl photographing them, so long we make it quick or ask them nicely.

tat morning, i went to bedok to photograph a very traditional lookin provision shop. the shop keeper is very nice after i told him i jus wan to record vanishing scenes of spore.

then i shot an old basker at the mkt, 2 chess players and the song bird keepers at a kopi shop.

after that went sugnei rd. most of the ppl posted no problem (either they didnt care or didnt notice me). until a stall mended by an old couple. the wife saw me 1st and shouted. then the husband confronted me, demanding that i hand over the film. i tried to walk away but he followed and cursed w vulgarities.

i didnt run, jus hurried away. he gave up after a few paces. nothin dramatic actually. but i dunno wat will the other stall owners do if it gets physical.
    Since they're old,u dun want to start a fight with them?I dont think old ppl are strong

I am one that don't like vertical grip. I prefer it lighter.

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 10th November 2007 at 12:15 AM.

I find vertical grip great when shooting portrait but find it troublesome to adjust the focus point because the direction pad is difficult to reach

I find it odd that no one mention one of the main reason the function of the grip... ie shooting vertical for portrait, yes.... but it prevents your elbow from sticking into the next photog - it happens so often in the recent S.I.N. (courtesy and etiquette is, well... )

Some may say, with the grip, you look more 'gaya'... which is true... more pro... but that does not mean better pix. In SIN, this photog is armed with a to die for config... D2Xs with 70-200 VR... but all his pix came out blown, and he kept shooting with the same settings, 'hoping' the pix would come out nice in the next shots!! How I knew? I was right behind him!

Re longer batt life, what is the diff if u bring extra batts and change as and when needed? It all depends... if u r a street shooter... you would want to dump any extra weight... imagine lugging your equip for 10 straight hours.... gaya or comfort? In my Vienna walk-about, I shot from 8am till midnite, a good 14 hours... I was on minimum equip... just my D200 with my 18-200, ditched my tripod and flash... but used up all my 4 batts!! (it was cold - batt finito faster)
    Who Dares Wins!

You were 'stalking' him ah....

Anyway, the camera is just a tool that the photographer use. Having the 'best' camera does not mean one is able to take the best pix.

Sometime, having the best tool is more of an ego thing to some.

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker28 View Post
    I find it odd that no one mention one of the main reason the function of the grip... ie shooting vertical for portrait, yes.... but it prevents your elbow from sticking into the next photog - it happens so often in the recent S.I.N. (courtesy and etiquette is, well... )

Some may say, with the grip, you look more 'gaya'... which is true... more pro... but that does not mean better pix. In SIN, this photog is armed with a to die for config... D2Xs with 70-200 VR... but all his pix came out blown, and he kept shooting with the same settings, 'hoping' the pix would come out nice in the next shots!! How I knew? I was right behind him!

Re longer batt life, what is the diff if u bring extra batts and change as and when needed? It all depends... if u r a street shooter... you would want to dump any extra weight... imagine lugging your equip for 10 straight hours.... gaya or comfort? In my Vienna walk-about, I shot from 8am till midnite, a good 14 hours... I was on minimum equip... just my D200 with my 18-200, ditched my tripod and flash... but used up all my 4 batts!! (it was cold - batt finito faster)

In SIN, this photog is armed with a to die for config... D2Xs with 70-200 VR... but all his pix came out blown, and he kept shooting with the same settings, 'hoping' the pix would come out nice in the next shots!! How I knew? I was right behind him!
    maybe he is trying out the high key approach?

i recently got a journalist jacket and find it really useful in distributing weight and improving access, although i look real stupid in that and it can probably only be used in cold places.

as for batteries, has it got to do with camera body and battery type? normally two batteries is good enough for me for a whole day, even in cold places down to -5C. a 3rd battery is a standby but i never got to use it. i'm using D50 and maybe that is why.

Hi how many Canon batts does the BG-E2 Canon Battery Grip holds?
    If i put only one does it works?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast