Thread: af servo how to focus on eyes of a flying bird?

Default af servo how to focus on eyes of a flying bird?

not sure if i got it wrong but i can't seem to use ai servo to get a panning shot of a bird with the eyes sharp.. is there a trick to it?

Default Re: af servo how to focus on eyes of a flying bird?

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    not sure if i got it wrong but i can't seem to use ai servo to get a panning shot of a bird with the eyes sharp.. is there a trick to it?
    Depends on how far away the bird is. If it's relatively far away, the depth of field should be able to cover the entire bird.

Default Re: af servo how to focus on eyes of a flying bird?

There are a couple of ways, though not always fool-proof.

1) Stop down the f-stop to about f6.3 or more if possible. Make sure your shutter speed is sufficiently high enough to freeze the bird.

2) Depends on the size of the bird. For larger birds such as eagles or herons, use single AF point only (best is the center pt), and generally your AF pt shld cover the head area as much as possible, but of the head area is too small, try to maintain your AF point on the centre or frontal portion of the bird. For smaller birds, its quite a hit or miss affair...just aim your AF pt on the centre of the body...and "pray and spray". If your camera has a high speed drive, use it!

3) Last but not least, practice!