Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magic tricks!

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Magic tricks!

Its a trick pen - there are two parts to the pen and it uses magnets to hold the two parts together.

In these tricks, usually you can see that the paper is not torn by the pen when its through, but you see a nice perfect poke. If it is realyl stabbed through, there will be some paper tear marks (try it yourself on a piece of paper and you'll know what I mean).

Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice View Post
    One trick i wan to learn shown at Magic Hall:

magician poked a pencil thru a $10 note with paper and when he unfold, the note is ok!

Anyone know this trick?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Its a trick pen - there are two parts to the pen and it uses magnets to hold the two parts together.

In these tricks, usually you can see that the paper is not torn by the pen when its through, but you see a nice perfect poke. If it is realyl stabbed through, there will be some paper tear marks (try it yourself on a piece of paper and you'll know what I mean).
    there are many other methods to do this same trick which involves skills and sleights

the one u graciously shared with everyone is one of the idiot-proof trick an amateur would perform.

Please respect magic like how u wan people to respect ur work in photography...

for magic tricks...the key point is the secret behind it...why not just simply enjoy being entertained and not want to find out how its done.

to develop a simple trick, a magician have put it thru various test to see if its audience-worthy. And even though a trick may be very simple but its also takes a lot of effort and time to practice and perform it flawlessly.

don't think...just enjoy and the magic begins here.

its just a thread on magic, i see nothing wrong to share some simple tricks. There are so many tricks out there we will not learn much here anyway. reading it alone doesnt guarantee we know how to do it too mah

i shld wonder how david copperfield cut his body in half and hop around holding his legs

vince123123
    Guests

Of course there are many other ways to do the same thing. You don't have to imply that you do know because no one will ever know .

There is also nothing wrong with trying to figure out how its done - if you are good, people won't be able to find out. If you suck, then too bad for you .

I derive a lot of satisfaction behind figuring out the tricks that I see people trying to do in front of me. In the same way, people derive satisfaction to figure out how a photograph was taken - lighting setup, f stop, location etc. Are you saying that such discussions are also prohibited?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    there are many other methods to do this same trick which involves skills and sleights

the one u graciously shared with everyone is one of the idiot-proof trick an amateur would perform.

Card tricks requires fast eyes.

Other tricks require a suspicious mind and some thought.
    card tricks dont require fast eyes. it requires you to know where and when to look (dont fall for the deliberate diversion by the magician.

eh vince, not nice to reveal tricks leh, some people use it for a living you know.

ianpaice, the dollar note trick is a gimmick trick, very simple to achieve actually, i tink if you google around, you can find the solution to it.

vince123123
    Guests

Heh, yeap I know, but for card tricks in particular, even wehre you know wehre to look, you still must be fast enough to catch it - especially if you're dealing with a trained magician or card speicalist.

Quote Originally Posted by zywerkz View Post
    card tricks dont require fast eyes. it requires you to know where and when to look (dont fall for the deliberate diversion by the magician.

eh vince, not nice to reveal tricks leh, some people use it for a living you know.

ianpaice, the dollar note trick is a gimmick trick, very simple to achieve actually, i tink if you google around, you can find the solution to it.

Quote Originally Posted by zywerkz View Post

i agree with you about not disclosing the tricks.. it is very unethical to do so and it removes the fun of watching magic tricks..

I am also a regular at the magic hall, zywerkz you learn yours from where?

Of course there are many other ways to do the same thing. You don't have to imply that you do know because no one will ever know .

There is also nothing wrong with trying to figure out how its done - if you are good, people won't be able to find out. If you suck, then too bad for you .

I derive a lot of satisfaction behind figuring out the tricks that I see people trying to do in front of me. In the same way, people derive satisfaction to figure out how a photograph was taken - lighting setup, f stop, location etc. Are you saying that such discussions are also prohibited?
    Even if you found out how its done, there's no need to go around telling everyone and showing how smart you are, some of those tricks might be copyrighted to certain magicians, I'm sure you wouldn't want them to come after you with a lawsuit right?

Discussion on photographs are ok, you are putting two different things together. And I do know for some people, how they setup their lighting is also not disclosed to other people, would it be nice for you to go round saying, Hey I know how he setup that shot! Used what aperture and what shutter!

Just sharing my views as I know how hard it is to practice and learn the tricks, coming out with new tricks also takes a lot of effort. Hope that you would stop exposing tricks please.

Anyway, just to share soemthing funny on youtube...

A david blaine spoof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d5ac-cD0L4
    Second part of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EqGAaLsCP4

Enjoy
    Last edited by ~Arcanic~; 7th November 2007 at 12:02 AM.

My hat goes off for those magicians able to perform flawlessly in front of a live audience.

I love the one where the user picks a card and the magician puts the card back into the stack, and the stack back into the box, only to magically make only that specific card rise up and out from the box.

I am finding it difficult to master the fingers properly on how to put a metal ring through a rubber band held between two fingers.
    tSkye shoots whatever comes tSkye's way... | 5D2, 1224, 16FE, 35L, 1.4xTC, 300L

vince123123
    Guests

Uhm, you sure you know what you're talking about? A magic trick being copyrighted? Being sued by a magician because I posted a hypothesis on how his trick was done? I think you need to do more research in this area - I wonder who's trying to show who's being smart here. Whatever I've said in this thread so far is so easily google-able and I don't see how it even qualifies as confidential information when it is already in the public domain.

I don't see what's the difference between discussing how a photograph is created, and how a magic trick is created. The end product, and the not-so-visible means of creation are analogous.

Discussions on how a photo is done is being made on this board all the time. Whether or not the photographer chooses to disclose is another question altogether - that doesn't prevent other photographers from talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Arcanic~ View Post
    Even if you found out how its done, there's no need to go around telling everyone and showing how smart you are, some of those tricks might be copyrighted to certain magicians, I'm sure you wouldn't want them to come after you with a lawsuit right?

Discussion on photographs are ok, you are putting two different things together. And I do know for some people, how they setup their lighting is also not disclosed to other people, would it be nice for you to go round saying, Hey I know how he setup that shot! Used what aperture and what shutter!

Just sharing my views as I know how hard it is to practice and learn the tricks, coming out with new tricks also takes a lot of effort. Hope that you would stop exposing tricks please.

Anyway, just to share soemthing funny on youtube...

A david blaine spoof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d5ac-cD0L4
    Second part of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EqGAaLsCP4

Enjoy
    Last edited by vince123123; 7th November 2007 at 12:18 AM.

Uhm, you sure you know what you're talking about? A magic trick being copyrighted? Being sued by a magician because I posted a hypothesis on how his trick was done? I think you need to do more research in this area - I wonder who's trying to show who's being smart here. Whatever I've said in this thread so far is so easily google-able and I don't see how it even qualifies as confidential information when it is already in the public domain.

I don't see what's the difference between discussing how a photograph is created, and how a magic trick is created. The end product, and the not-so-visible means of creation are analogous.

Discussions on how a photo is done is being made on this board all the time. Whether or not the photographer chooses to disclose is another question altogether - that doesn't prevent other photographers from talking about it.
    Yes indeed these tricks are easily available on the internet. It all started when one heckler expose a trick...leads on many others doing the same thing so far that this multiplying effect actually came to u...but i personally feel that it would be a good gesture if it stops at you.

Its not abt whether u r allowed to share the secrets of magic...but whether it is ethical or not to expose a trick...for all u know...some forumers here do not know of a certain trick and did not even bother to google it until u came along and voila they know the secret.

Sharing of how a photo is taken and exposing a magic trick is totally different. U can learn photography by trial and error and working hard and reading more...but not magic...magic lives by its secret

i hope u understand my true intentions in my replies in this thread.

and to all other people who enjoys magic...here something performed by me for u all to enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ryn6a528Ww

Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    My hat goes off for those magicians able to perform flawlessly in front of a live audience.

I love the one where the user picks a card and the magician puts the card back into the stack, and the stack back into the box, only to magically make only that specific card rise up and out from the box.

I am finding it difficult to master the fingers properly on how to put a metal ring through a rubber band held between two fingers.
    LOL keep practicing on the rubberband...
    its a good trick so dun zaokeng...keep on practicing infront of the mirror...sure can do it one

Yes indeed these tricks are easily available on the internet. It all started when one heckler expose a trick...leads on many others doing the same thing so far that this multiplying effect actually came to u...but i personally feel that it would be a good gesture if it stops at you.

Its not abt whether u r allowed to share the secrets of magic...but whether it is ethical or not to expose a trick...for all u know...some forumers here do not know of a certain trick and did not even bother to google it until u came along and voila they know the secret.

Sharing of how a photo is taken and exposing a magic trick is totally different. U can learn photography by trial and error and working hard and reading more...but not magic...magic lives by its secret

and to all other people who enjoys magic...here something performed by me for u all to enjoy

you put it in a way better than i could. just hope that people understands that magic is about the mystery behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post

hehe, i am learning the making the card levitating out of the box now. its a really visually very cool trick to do, and the card will rise even if the spectator holds the deck themselves..

Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    anyone knows how to make a person float? that is something that still puzzles me. How does David Copperfield manage to float for so long....
    Wires. It's all wires.

Here's an educational video
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/393564...pperfield_fly/

Watch the original video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8qX0ZhzJBU

I dare say even for photography, if others don't reveal how they did it, many things would never be really "learnt" even by trial and error.
    If everything can be learnt by trial and error, then any tom dick and harry would have been able to create a lightbulb, create the internet, make their own satelites etc. Magic's secrecy is over hyped. It's just simple stuff that SOME others has never thought of. If they try hard enough, they'll get it sooner or later.

vince123123
    Guests

Took the words right out of my mouth Not sure why there's an insistence to differentiate the two.

Is there therefore double standards - Magic revealing is taboo, and revealing of other trade "secrets" is not? Perhaps its all self interests at work here.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    I dare say even for photography, if others don't reveal how they did it, many things would never be really "learnt" even by trial and error.
    If everything can be learnt by trial and error, then any tom dick and harry would have been able to create a lightbulb, create the internet, make their own satelites etc. Magic's secrecy is over hyped. It's just simple stuff that SOME others has never thought of. If they try hard enough, they'll get it sooner or later.

If you actually think, you'll find that chris angel, david copperfield, david blaine are all just very good performers.

Now, the japanese magician Takayama, he's good. I've not been able to figure out ANY of his tricks before. Oh yes, if anyone knows how Takayama did these, do let me know.

Possible camera trick, someone hiding behind the paper.. but..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnRw7d38EKk

I can't even begin to explain this..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgHEotomnVc

vince123123
    Guests

Lemme go watch

I once saw a Japanese magician do this crocodile T shirt magic trick - quite powerful - he can make the label move, and then appear to a real lizard of sorts, then go back into the label...

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    If you actually think, you'll find that chris angel, david copperfield, david blaine are all just very good performers.

Now, the japanese magician Takayama, he's good. I've not been able to figure out ANY of his tricks before. Oh yes, if anyone knows how Takayama did these, do let me know.

Possible camera trick, someone hiding behind the paper.. but..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnRw7d38EKk

I can't even begin to explain this..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgHEotomnVc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast