Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: need help for shooting car shows

  1. #1

    Default need help for shooting car shows

    Hi everyone, I am helping my friends to take pictures of their cars taking part in the Super Import Nights car show at Spore Expo next week. I am a newbie and don't have much experience taking show pics.

    My equipment is Canon S5IS, Speedlite EX430 with diffuser and tripod. May I know what type of settings to get nice car pics? The subjects are black and grey colored cars.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    Got 4 days to trial and error!!! I also going to try out new techniques...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LA 2019
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    so you are the official photog?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    Equipment is the least of your problems. The problem is the location. All the reflection of the spotlights make shooting a reflective object like a car extremely difficult. Best not to shoot them at a show if you ask me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    anyone who takes pics of cars can tell u that the worst place to shoot cars is at an exhibition.
    there's just too many glaring spotlight, models(unless they are ur focus) and other photographers...
    the worst are the boundaries around certain cars...
    anyway..i would recomend u try to take the car from unique angles...such as from the tire, or bumper...
    more car, less bg...since that would quite obviously ruin ur shot..
    try looking at wat others have taken at car exhibitions to see wat angles they have taken from.
    my last car exhibition shoot was a yr back..and it was quite challenging..considering that there were ferraris and lambos there which u can't even get near to.
    u can check out my shots from my flickr page if they are of help =)

  6. #6

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    anyone who takes pics of cars can tell u that the worst place to shoot cars is at an exhibition.
    there's just too many glaring spotlight, models(unless they are ur focus) and other photographers...
    the worst are the boundaries around certain cars...
    anyway..i would recomend u try to take the car from unique angles...such as from the tire, or bumper...
    more car, less bg...since that would quite obviously ruin ur shot..
    try looking at wat others have taken at car exhibitions to see wat angles they have taken from.
    my last car exhibition shoot was a yr back..and it was quite challenging..considering that there were ferraris and lambos there which u can't even get near to.
    u can check out my shots from my flickr page if they are of help =)
    thanks bro. since my frens have 3 cars competing, i am going earlier as a helper to shoot. the exhibition hall should be clear of spectators and other "distractions" then...

  7. #7

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    thanks bro. since my frens have 3 cars competing, i am going earlier as a helper to shoot. the exhibition hall should be clear of spectators and other "distractions" then...
    np.. oh yeah..u will most prob be shooting in wider angles.. so if u can try get ur hands on a wide angle adapter..

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Equipment is the least of your problems. The problem is the location. All the reflection of the spotlights make shooting a reflective object like a car extremely difficult. Best not to shoot them at a show if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    there's just too many glaring spotlight,
    make use of these reflections n spotlights with a star filter to cover up.

  9. #9

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    make use of these reflections n spotlights with a star filter to cover up.
    Wah... Everyone loves blingz blingz...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    Hi everyone, I am helping my friends to take pictures of their cars taking part in the Super Import Nights car show at Spore Expo next week. I am a newbie and don't have much experience taking show pics.

    My equipment is Canon S5IS, Speedlite EX430 with diffuser and tripod. May I know what type of settings to get nice car pics? The subjects are black and grey colored cars.

    Thanks in advance!
    bro,

    since u got the S5, make use of the swirl LCD. try to take low low angle. or high high angle.

    u can put ur camera on the flooor and take from this angle without lying on the floor. trust me, u will miss this feature when u upgrade to dslr.

    example:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/...4f1d6536_o.jpg

    beside this, think the rest u will have to kind of know the unique car feature to bring out the best of the car.

    example, if it is a Mazda RX7 FD, there is 1 angle i like about this car is the rear with right / left fender, its just so bloody sexy.

    just sharing wat i know about cars.

    jay the car siao

  11. #11

    Default Re: need help for shooting car shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Jay View Post
    bro,

    since u got the S5, make use of the swirl LCD. try to take low low angle. or high high angle.

    u can put ur camera on the flooor and take from this angle without lying on the floor. trust me, u will miss this feature when u upgrade to dslr.

    example:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/...4f1d6536_o.jpg

    beside this, think the rest u will have to kind of know the unique car feature to bring out the best of the car.

    example, if it is a Mazda RX7 FD, there is 1 angle i like about this car is the rear with right / left fender, its just so bloody sexy.

    just sharing wat i know about cars.

    jay the car siao
    bro,

    thanks for the advice, I will try again this weekend. it's really very difficult to shoot in car shows like what the other bros mentioned. Not happy with what I took yesterday.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •