Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AF 50mm f/1.4D vs AFS DX 18-200mm VR Zoom

Default Re: AF 50mm f/1.4D vs AFS DX 18-200mm VR Zoom

How about getting the 18-200mm + 50mm f/1.8?

BC

Quote Originally Posted by jefkinetics View Post
    Hi the RBK, thanks also for this. I've read somewhere that most users of 50mm f/1.8 would rather go for 50mm f/1.4 if they can only redo their purchase, meaning they would've rather waited to save for 1.4 as they've seen their friends who owns 1.4 captures better shots than 1.8. Since I get to keep lens for a longer period, I'd rather make a wise purchase, do you agree?
    I dun quite agree.. I've been using 50mm1.8 and i think its good enuf for most suituation. And for the price.. you dun have to crack ur head trying to decide which lens to buy.. buy both!

Having said the above.. its not eassy to use 50mm (75mm on full frame). I know there are some ppl walking around with 50mm, but I cannot imagine how that can be done. Also at f1.8, DOV can be very shallow, not easy to focus.

btw, how many ppl actually use their 50mm at 1.4?

Quote Originally Posted by LeoDaddy View Post
    I dun quite agree.. I've been using 50mm1.8 and i think its good enuf for most suituation. And for the price.. you dun have to crack ur head trying to decide which lens to buy.. buy both!

Having said the above.. its not eassy to use 50mm (75mm on full frame). I know there are some ppl walking around with 50mm, but I cannot imagine how that can be done. Also at f1.8, DOV can be very shallow, not easy to focus.

Check this out

Check this out
    ehh.. i think 50mm f1.8 have better ratings there..

But really.. i own a 50mm f1.8.. i think its awesome.. cheap and good (so cheap u dun have to consider much). I constantly use it take my baby photo at f1.8. Sharp enuf and bokeh is nice for close-up shots. For bigger subjects.. i prefer bigger lens.

Hi jefkinetics, I think you've already made up your mind that the f1.4 is better than the f1.8

I guess any lens that inspires you to take more photos is a good lens. As I've mentioned before, just be mindful of the DOF at f1.4. You'll have to practice a bit to get familiar with how shallow it is. For a subject at 2 meters away (half-body), DOF is just 9cm (4cm in front and 5cm behind). At 1 meter (head and shoulder shot), DOF is 2cm (1cm in front and 1cm behind).

Check out this link :
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Me. I shoot at f/1.4 for selective focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspect View Post
    Hi jefkinetics, I think you've already made up your mind that the f1.4 is better than the f1.8

I guess any lens that inspires you to take more photos is a good lens. As I've mentioned before, just be mindful of the DOF at f1.4. You'll have to practice a bit to get familiar with how shallow it is. For a subject at 2 meters away (half-body), DOF is just 9cm (4cm in front and 5cm behind). At 1 meter (head and shoulder shot), DOF is 2cm (1cm in front and 1cm behind).

Check out this link :
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
    yup, I made up my mind & got this 50mm f/1.4. Just what I needed "at the moment" for low-light shots and for less blurry photos. Since it's a prime, obvious limitation is focal range especially if you're used to using zoom lenses. Nonetheless, its performance live up to most of its good reviews. And I'm glad I don't have to ponder about how good this 1.4 lens be had I purchase its cheaper 1.8 cousin

Next on my wishlist is this 18-200mm VR, so my travel photography would just be pure enjoyment on every snap.

Thanks guys for all the info!

ciao!

I tried this 50mm 1.4 out on a moving vehicle while inside a cab and I took this very basic photo just to see how fast this lens is & also see how it measure up with my non-vr zoom lenses on a shutter priority, and this is what came out...

a not so perfect but clear shot of the truck (in focus) while other parts of the scene is blurred (IQ low since photo was cropped & resized to <100kb!).
    Last edited by jefkinetics; 14th November 2007 at 12:44 AM.

..and now trying this out in an ambient light. (i took this shot while my cam is hangin' on my waist as the store clerk prohibits taking shots inside their shop. 'just made fun of this esplanade-like thingy, hehe)

That's all! ciao!

The 18-200 is a wonderful all rounder lens, but dont get me wrong, it has its faults too. You can never have the best of both worlds - NEVER, just strike the balance what you want NOW and what you can afford.

I had the same situation as you when I got my D200 more than a year ago.... $$ limitation... only can get just ONE lens... the 18-200 just happened to come out at the same time... so, this is the lens for me - as I travel a lot and I really dislike changing lens that much on my travel. The wait for this lens was horrible and the price went thru the roof (other Nikon equipment - they have a serious worldwide problem with almost EVERYTHING).

In low light, I went for the famous Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and of course, every decent newbie (and pro) will have the 'legendary' 50mm f/1.8. I am still using these 3 lenses ONLY. After these while, I am now ready to splash for new glass
    Who Dares Wins!

..and now trying this out in an ambient light. (i took this shot while my cam is hangin' on my waist as the store clerk prohibits taking shots inside their shop. 'just made fun of this esplanade-like thingy, hehe)

That's all! ciao!
    I can see that you are having fun with your new toy.
    Keep shooting!

I tried this 50mm 1.4 out on a moving vehicle while inside a cab and I took this very basic photo just to see how fast this lens is & also see how it measure up with my non-vr zoom lenses on a shutter priority, and this is what came out...

a not so perfect but clear shot of the truck (in focus) while other parts of the scene is blurred (IQ low since photo was cropped & resized to <100kb!).
    Did u shoot this at f1.4? The 'blurness' looks more like motion blur to me. Anyway.. congratz to your new toy!

Did u shoot this at f1.4? The 'blurness' looks more like motion blur to me. Anyway.. congratz to your new toy!
    Are you asking if this shot was taken at f/1.4 lens or at aperture f/1.4? I suppose you mean the latter.. so.. nope, I took this at Shutter Priority 1/100 & the camera calculated the Aperture at f/16. Since it was daytime, I wouldn't dare taking shot at higher aperture otherwise all I'll get are blownout shots. You can call it motion blur but I still love how fast this lens operate thanks.

You can call it motion blur but I still love how fast this lens operate thanks.
    I'm curious what you mean by how fast the lens operates. Can explain?

If I am you, I will continue with the kit lens...save all the money for a AFS 17-55 f2.8, no more excuse of poor lens for a lousy picture then
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 30th November 2007 at 02:05 PM.

Hi Waileong, thanks for this. But I'm a person who prefers 1 versatile lens over 2-3 separate zoom lenses. For 2 primary reasons: (1) i'd rather not change lenses while on travel as keeping 1 versatile lens will enable me to capture various moments and saves me from getting dust in sensor caused by frequent changing of lens; (2) I have the kit lens 18-135 and a 70-300 zoom lens, these two covers 18-300 focal ranges but taking great photos requires me to use tripod, which I deem not convenient if I move around places. But I really do appreciate your suggestion.

Hi the RBK, thanks also for this. I've read somewhere that most users of 50mm f/1.8 would rather go for 50mm f/1.4 if they can only redo their purchase, meaning they would've rather waited to save for 1.4 as they've seen their friends who owns 1.4 captures better shots than 1.8. Since I get to keep lens for a longer period, I'd rather make a wise purchase, do you agree?
    u seems to have answered ur own question

also all u take is tripod to get u great photos,
    how i wish i m of that standard.

re the 50 1.8 or 1.4,
    u might want to check out why dpreview uses the 1.8 n not 1.4.
    according to phil, its sharper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12