Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Recommend Travel Tripod

  1. #1
    Sphoenix
    Guests

    Default Recommend Travel Tripod

    Looking for a travel tripod. Now I realise that this is to vague a term so here's some background.

    - be small, pocketable? easy to store in a pouch?
    - stable enough to hold an oly 2000 series digital camera
    - stable enough in a breeze

    Main thing is that my gf likes it, coz whilst she likes the digital camera, she certainly doesn't one to lug around a huge or heavy tripod. seen some mini extendable tripods, wonder whether those will be good enough?

    She'll be going on a trip soon, so appreciate suggestions asap. thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Recommend Travel Tripod

    Originally posted by Sphoenix
    Looking for a travel tripod. Now I realise that this is to vague a term so here's some background.

    - be small, pocketable? easy to store in a pouch?
    - stable enough to hold an oly 2000 series digital camera
    - stable enough in a breeze

    Main thing is that my gf likes it, coz whilst she likes the digital camera, she certainly doesn't one to lug around a huge or heavy tripod. seen some mini extendable tripods, wonder whether those will be good enough?

    She'll be going on a trip soon, so appreciate suggestions asap. thanks
    Don't know if you can get it here, but this seems like a good travel tripod.

    http://www.popphoto.com/Film/PrintAr...p?ArticleID=69

    Regards
    CK

  3. #3

    Default Re: Recommend Travel Tripod

    Originally posted by Sphoenix
    Looking for a travel tripod. Now I realise that this is to vague a term so here's some background.

    - be small, pocketable? easy to store in a pouch?
    - stable enough to hold an oly 2000 series digital camera
    - stable enough in a breeze

    Main thing is that my gf likes it, coz whilst she likes the digital camera, she certainly doesn't one to lug around a huge or heavy tripod. seen some mini extendable tripods, wonder whether those will be good enough?

    She'll be going on a trip soon, so appreciate suggestions asap. thanks
    Dunno abt the stable in a breeze part part but if ur gf wants small and pocketsize like me, she can either get the giotto ballpod which collapse up to a few inches or the ultrapod which doesn't collapse but comes with a velcro to tie to trees or lampposts for added supports. I've seen pictures of these guys supporting a G2 and I'll been using the ballpod to support my F601z for night shots. Their main advantage is that u can place them on flat surfaces like benches or mount them like machine gun supports on rounded or uneven surfaces like railings or even on your chest as a last resort. The main disadvantage i have so far is to look ard like a madman for something to support on .

    u can check their pics at
    Ballpod

    Ultrapod

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    897

    Default Re: Re: Recommend Travel Tripod

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Don't know if you can get it here, but this seems like a good travel tripod.

    http://www.popphoto.com/Film/PrintAr...p?ArticleID=69

    Regards
    CK
    How much in Singapore?

  5. #5
    genie47
    Guests

    Default Re: Recommend Travel Tripod

    Originally posted by Sphoenix
    Looking for a travel tripod. Now I realise that this is to vague a term so here's some background.

    - be small, pocketable? easy to store in a pouch?
    - stable enough to hold an oly 2000 series digital camera
    - stable enough in a breeze

    Main thing is that my gf likes it, coz whilst she likes the digital camera, she certainly doesn't one to lug around a huge or heavy tripod. seen some mini extendable tripods, wonder whether those will be good enough?

    She'll be going on a trip soon, so appreciate suggestions asap. thanks
    Try the Ultrapod II. Great stuff. Has velcro strap so as to turn it into a monopod or secure it over a railing. I have used it and it is great to have around. CP is selling for 30 bucks.

  6. #6

    Default

    $30? I was quoted $40+ a few weeks ago. How secure is the velcro strap when u tie it ard a tree or railing?

  7. #7

    Default

    Or if you want a tripod that has the height and also the portability, check out your neighbourhood photo shops for Tristar tripods. I have one that folds into 30cm-length and very compacted. Weighs less than 1kg. When fully extended it can go up to a typical chest height. The only gripe is the leg sections are flimsy and I don't know if it can take your 2100 in strong winds, but it managed to take my EOS300 with a 28-90mm lens at East Coast, and was quite stable.

    It shouldn't cost more than $20+. Great tripod for portability.

  8. #8
    Sphoenix
    Guests

    Default

    Thanks for the replies guys. So in contention now we seem to have tristar and the ultrapod II

    btw tweek, i'm using something like the oly 2040 and not the heavy duty oly 2100, so the tristar should be stable enough I hope.

    cheers

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by Sphoenix
    btw tweek, i'm using something like the oly 2040 and not the heavy duty oly 2100, so the tristar should be stable enough I hope.
    Oh, in that case it is definitely stable enough cos I use it for my C700UZ most of the time, no problems at all, even in stronger winds. But then wind in Singapore seldom get very strong...

    See my website at www.weekai.com and click on the equipment page. There's a picture of how the tristar looks like.

  10. #10
    genie47
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by xdivider
    $30? I was quoted $40+ a few weeks ago. How secure is the velcro strap when u tie it ard a tree or railing?
    It is very stable and it depends on how you strap it there. The legs are not round but a hollow triangle so it doesn't move easily. I wouldn't recommend it if your camera is lens heavy if you know what I mean.

    Yes the only complaint as with most people is the awful plastic smell it emits. Very chemical and yucky.

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by genie47


    It is very stable and it depends on how you strap it there. The legs are not round but a hollow triangle so it doesn't move easily. I wouldn't recommend it if your camera is lens heavy if you know what I mean.

    Yes the only complaint as with most people is the awful plastic smell it emits. Very chemical and yucky.
    This one and the ballpod was one the top of my shopping list for a ultra-portable tripod. Finally decided on the ballpod cos it was more compact as well as coming with a multidirectional head. May try to mod it with velcro next time to achieve the same effect as the ultrapod. The ultrapod comes with flat or ballhead?

  12. #12
    genie47
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by xdivider


    This one and the ballpod was one the top of my shopping list for a ultra-portable tripod. Finally decided on the ballpod cos it was more compact as well as coming with a multidirectional head. May try to mod it with velcro next time to achieve the same effect as the ultrapod. The ultrapod comes with flat or ballhead?
    Swivel is a ball. Screw mount.

  13. #13

    Thumbs up UltraPod!!!

    buy the UltraPod!!! i just got mine at $25 (ultrapod I) at CP. it looks really cool... n i have try it with my Casio QV4000, size & weight abt G2... n it work perfectly!!! Best of all, my gal also going gaga over it... kinda getting jealous...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Bedok Reservoir View
    Posts
    136

    Default

    don't mind... I'm a newbie here... but the ultra pod is soooo short... I thought all tripods should be like at least waist high?

  15. #15

    Default

    Originally posted by Mankul
    don't mind... I'm a newbie here... but the ultra pod is soooo short... I thought all tripods should be like at least waist high?
    Look for a nearby rubbish bin or tree I've seem someone lie on the grass before to take a pic of the supreme court.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,114

    Default

    Just got a tripid few days back...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •