Night Photography Outing @ Pulau Ubin
This is one-of-a-kind outing that I'm organizing for the first time. It's a one-night stay in Pulau Ubin doing night and nocturne photography. We'll be also doing sunrise photography at Chek Jawa Boardwalk.
Date: 24 - 25 Nov 2007, Saturday - Sunday (full-moon night)
Time: 5pm - 9am
Meeting Point: Changi Jetty
For those who are driving, you can go straight to the jetty to meet us. For those who are taking MRT, alight at Tanah Merah MRT station and then take SBS Bus No. 2 all the way to Chnagi Village's bus interchange, OR taking MRT to Tampines MRT station and change to SBS Bus No. 29 at the bus interchange.
Boat Fare: $2.00 per trip
© 2005 Martin Liew Photography
What do we look for in this night photography outing?
1. Night sceneries on the island and to discover and enjoy that sense of mystery and night atomsphere (example as shown above).
2. Creating night images using flash light & light-painting techniques (nocturne) with assorted colored filter gels.
3. Creating night images using 'B' setting i.e. long exposure techniques.
4. Creating night images using multi-exposure techniques.
5. Creating night images illuminated by the full moon light. (depends on that night's sky)
© 2006 Martin Liew Photography
Things To Bring:
1. Tentage / Sleeping Bag with air pillow
2. Strong Torchlight - to walk in the dark forest and for light-painting sceneries.
3. Insect Repellent
4. 1 -2 litres of water
5. Trekking shoes/ boots - there are rocky treks in the dark forest and it's wise to wear proper footwear for safety purpose
6. raincoat (poncho) / umbrella (optional)
7. dry ration (optional)
1. Camera - digital or film with extra batteries
2. Sturdy tripod - a must for night photorgraphy
3. cable release - for yr film or digital SLRs
4. stopwatch - from yr handphone or digital watch. To keep track of long exposure timing
5. extra rolls of film - for film users, be it color or B&W
6. extras CF cards - for digital users, if you're shooting in RAW format or you snap alot.
7. black card - preferably with matt surface. I'll elaborate its usage during the outing.
8. flash light with extra batteries
9. flash light colored gels - the ones that comes with you flash unit. (optional)
10. pen & notebook - for film users to record all camera settings and exposure timing for each frame exposed. It's a way to learn abt night photography.
11. pen torchlight - to search thru your amera bag in case you drop something. For film user, you need light to write notes too.
Come and join this fun and exciting outing for a nature walk, and night photography as well as mingling around with fellow photographers.
- This outing is limited to 5 persons only, excluding myself. First-cume-first-serve basis. Minimum 3 persons to set off.
Reason? It's not easy to control a big group and it'll be noisy as we're traveling and talking and laughing. We have to be considerate as the local residents are resting.
- Photographers who confirmed their participation, please kindly PM me yr real name, nick, contact number and email address.
- Details will send out to all confirmed participants via email.
- Please drink plenty of water prior to this outing as we'll be doing alot of walking.
- Should the weather changes, this outing will be postponed with further notice.
- Try to have at least 3 - 4 hours of sleep prior to this outing as we'll be doing night photography through out the whole night til dawn. So you need alot of energy and zest to make it, not to mention your focus on composing and making night images.